How long has everyone had their braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ruby77

How long has everyone had their braces?

#1 Post by Ruby77 »

Anyone gone under/over the estimated time?

FlyByNight

Re: How long has everyone had their braces?

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

My estimated time was a year and a half. I got them on in February and got them off august the next year, so they were dead on.

Ruby77

#3 Post by Ruby77 »

FlyByNight wrote:My estimated time was a year and a half. I got them on in February and got them off august the next year, so they were dead on.
Great news that it was bang on. My estimate is 18 months too, I'm one day in and it seems like a very long journey!!

JanineJanine

#4 Post by JanineJanine »

My estimate was 18-24 months. I'm coming up to the six month mark and my ortho is pleased with my progress so far and has just fitted a square archwire and powerchain, so at present we're looking being finished in good time, hopefully nearer the 18 month mark. :thumbsup:

Nozzelnut

#5 Post by Nozzelnut »

My estimate of 18 months was about 18 months ago; so 3 years total; in a couple weeks for braces. About 3.5 years for treatment; including about 6 months of splints for TMJD.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Prometheus

#6 Post by Prometheus »

I'm in the same boat as NN. 24 month estimate, after 7 months of a bite splint for TMJD. I needed 7 mm of upper arch expansion and after two years I have acheived 5mm. I was told recently that I'm about "halfway through the process". Translation: another two years with braces. If that holds true I will have had braces for four years when done, twice my original estimate. Never the less, anything is better than the TMJD problems I had.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

Mpkh

#7 Post by Mpkh »

Sunday will be one month for me! Projected for two years...so a ways to go yet.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

flowers4kelly

#8 Post by flowers4kelly »

Wednesday will be one month for me, I am estimated 18 months , hopefully it will not be any longer that .

FlowerPower

#9 Post by FlowerPower »

3.5 months. I get extractions in 2 weeks so hopefully things will go faster now that I have more space in my mouth. Projected time in braces is 2 years

poetgirl115

#10 Post by poetgirl115 »

Got my braces on February 18, 2016

Was quoted 18 months (August 18, 2017), but I'm getting them off a month early, thank God, since that means I won't be a brace face for my trip to Vegas in early August! :D

sull88

#11 Post by sull88 »

I was told 18 months and the day of my bonding it changed to 24 months. It has been 27 months with no definite end in sight. Everyone is different. The Ortho won't take them off until the teeth are ready. I want everything just right before they come off. I am so used to having them on and my routine is pretty set, so I will have to continue to be patient.

Tyrantblade

#12 Post by Tyrantblade »

21/24 months, I will be done in 3 months if this one bracket doesn't keep popping off (has popped off 4 times now)
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Plainj

#13 Post by Plainj »

Friday will make 9 weeks for me. I'm estimated for 18 months. I really hope so. Progress seems to be very slow & my ortho had to put a metal ligature on one bottom tooth already because he didnt see progress with that tooth.

Snowglobe32

#14 Post by Snowglobe32 »

My estimate was 2 years. They were on for 3 years, 10 months and 15 days. :lol: No joke!
It was worth every day in braces. I think having them on so long has helped them stay in perfect placement almost 4 years after they came off.

I also recommend to anyone who has braces to keep them on for 6 more months after you are told they are ready to come off. The longer they are held in place, the better, in my opinion.

Aaeolien

#15 Post by Aaeolien »

Today is day 3 of my 2nd round with braces. 12 months estimated this time.

First round about 12 years ago ended up being about 20 months if i remember right.