Surgeon Recommendations for the Atlanta Area

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sarahjacks

Surgeon Recommendations for the Atlanta Area

#1 Post by sarahjacks »

Does anyone have recommendations for oral maxillofacial surgeons in the Atlanta area? Feel free to include the good and bad.

hos82

Re: Surgeon Recommendations for the Atlanta Area

#2 Post by hos82 »

I live in Atlanta and I'm looking for possible oral surgeon consults. I recently had a consultation with an orthodontist (Melisa Rathburn), but I'm looking at possibly meeting with a surgeon prior to getting diagnostic records. Maybe I should just wait to see who she works with.

sarahjacks

#3 Post by sarahjacks »

I'm also with Dr. Rathburn. They refer to Dr. Glenn Maron whose great but I need to get a second opinion.

hos82

#4 Post by hos82 »

[quote="sarahjacks"]I'm also with Dr. Rathburn. They refer to Dr. Glenn Maron whose great but I need to get a second opinion.[/quote]

I found this thread, although it's from 2011. Someone recommends Chris Jo
http://www.jawsurgeryblog.com/forums/vi ... 1a2ceff829

I liked Dr. Rathburn, but I'm not sure if I should visit other orthodontists. I saw Barry Cohen last year and he thought there was a chance I would need surgery, but wanted to put me in braces first and review for surgery later. Dr. Rathburn seemed to be pretty pro surgery right away and thinks I have skeletal issues that should be corrected sooner rather than later. (anterior open bite)

Are you visiting oral surgeons before or after you got your diagnostic records from Dr. Rathburn? Do the surgeons need some xrays or measurements from the ortho in order to give a solid opinion? How much did the consultation with Dr. Maron cost, or was it free?

I also wish I got some kind of estimate for treatment cost at the consultation, but I know they probably need to study my diagnostic records, etc. before knowing.

Sorry, I know you wanted to get your question answered and not answer questions haha

sarahjacks

#5 Post by sarahjacks »

That's funny. Dr. Rathburn was so vehemently opposed to jaw surgery that it bordered on unprofessional. Dr. Maron said jaw surgery was necessary from the beginning. Finally when my teeth were scanned and they did a virtual modeling did he finally agree that surgery was needed. I would use another orthodontist if he hadn't taken so much of my money at this point. Perhaps Melissa Rathburn is more professional, I'm actually working with Tyler Rathburn.

Dr. Maron will need x-rays, a referral, records, etc. I think the visit was $204 but it was covered on my medical insurance.

ShiningCity

#6 Post by ShiningCity »

So the moral of the story seems to be: Get an initial consultation. If they say "Wow! Surgery needed!" you've got your person. If not, go for a consultation with a different doc, and they'll probably be in the surgery camp.