Retainers?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Retainers?!

#1 Post by Steph30 »

How long do you have to wear yours after braces and what type do you have? .... I cant remember what they said about my treatment plan regarding retainers.. Ill have to ask, I know they said Ill need a bonded retainer and a removable one I just cant remember how often they said i'll need to wear the removable one.

Jorge

Re: Retainers?!

#2 Post by Jorge »

You should call up the orthodontic office to check, but it's usually around full time for the first 6 months and then nightly for the rest of your life

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

My orthodontist told me that when people ask him how long they have to wear their retainers, his standard answer is "how long do you want straight teeth?" So yeah, daily for a while, and then nightly for...forever. I've heard of people who get it down to just a few nights a week, but you don't want to pay all that money to get straight teeth and then throw it away by skipping retainers.

I'm actually going to ask not to have a permanent retainer on my lowers. I know it's common, but I have an overactive plaque factory right on those teeth and a permanent retainer will be a nightmare. Not to mention flossing. And the idea of the Essex retainers grosses me out a bit, having my teeth encased in plastic all night...I prefer standar Hawleys.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

I have the Essix. No bonded retainers. I was told to wear them full time for 6 months, and then after that, just night time wear. I rinse them off in the morning and put them in their case, then I brush them before sleep.

jem

#5 Post by jem »

I got the "for as long as you want straight teeth" answer too. I have both a bonded retainer and a removable hawley ( my preference over essix) to wear at night.For the first 6 months I was told to wear the hawley 12/24 and than 8/24 for the next 6 months. When I had my final appointment 1 year post debond, I asked about whether I needed to keep wearing the hawley and was told to continue 8/24 indefinitely. Neither retainer is any problem.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194