Bite plate!!! Holy cow..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Bite plate!!! Holy cow..

#1 Post by Steph30 »

HATE MY BITE PLATE,.. I think i was emotionally prepared for my braces.. I was not emotionally prepared for the bite plate... It feels huge in my mouth.. I cant talk... If i think about the bite plate at all I start to gag... the "s" sound makes me gag a bit too... so I am a hot mess... TRYING to stay positive but I was really struggling with this at the ortho's office.. I begged her to let me make my next appt without the bite plate in because I was too embarrassed to talk to the front desk girl.. I am extremely self conscious about talking to people.. I don't even want to call my mom to let her know how things went... if anyone has any advice or encouragement about the bite plate I would love to hear it :(

I'm so self conscious :(

ElizabethMae

Re: Bite plate!!! Holy cow..

#2 Post by ElizabethMae »

The human body is an amazing piece of machinery that can adapt to so many changes; you will get used to talking around something new in your mouth. Back in college when I got my wisdom teeth taken out they hit a nerve and I lost a lot of feeling in half my tongue, which gave me a lisp, but I talked through it and now it's only noticeable when I'm super tired. If you're self-conscious about working through it in front of people, I suggest grabbing a book and reading out loud to yourself to get your mouth used to the new configuration you're working with.

I hope this helps. Stay strong! You can do this!

r1r1r12000

#3 Post by r1r1r12000 »

Hi Steph30,

I can empathize. When I got my braces, they gave me bite blocks on my molars that held my front teeth so far apart I had a noticeable lisp for about two weeks. I'm sure it was less frustrating than what you're going through, since I didn't have anything in the roof of my mouth to make me gag, but just keep talking as much as you can, pretend it doesn't bother you, and your speech will improve quickly!

Steph30

#4 Post by Steph30 »

Thank you... Today is already a bit better... No gagging... Still pretty lispy! I'm glad it's removable..and not for the entire duration of my treatment... :jump:

jem

#5 Post by jem »

Hi Steph30,

Your lisp will probably be far less apparent to other people than it is to you. Try recording yourself speaking and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck with your bite plate and the rest of your treatment.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

pcspinheiro

#6 Post by pcspinheiro »

I also got a bite plate due to my severe overbite, to prevent me from ripping the lower brackets off and make some distance between the molars to erupt them with elastics. However, I quickly found that it would stop fitting comfortably due to changing teeth positions and I just learned to live without it pretty fast. I don't tell the ortho this, but I haven't used it more than 1 1/2 months of the 3 that I'm supposed to be wearing it... My molars are erupting to the point where i see some of my lower teeth and have not bitten off any bracket. When I wore it in the beginning my lisp was terrible (Portuguese has SOO many words with the letter S or ending with S, that it was a nightmare trying to speak normally) but it quickly subsided. I'm of course not encouraging you to not use your bite plate, I only abandoned mine because it needed grinding every single week or sooner due to causing pain and since I've been a heavy mouth breather, keeping my mouth sightly open at all times is normal for me...

Good luck with that though!