Cannting

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sarahjacks

Cannting

#1 Post by sarahjacks »

I have lower jaw surgery in the works for my asymmetric lower jaw but I also have a canted and asymmetric upper jaw. How does one fix a canted upper jaw without jaw surgery? Is that something that traditional braces can do alone?

Nozzelnut

Re: Cannting

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Depends of a few things, but if there's enough "room" for the teeth to move it could be done. Why doesn't your surgeon want to do both jaws?
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

sarahjacks

#3 Post by sarahjacks »

I need to ask when I go in for my lower extractions. I was kind of caught off guard by his reply and just went with it. Now I'm really questioning why if my upper jaw is canted and asymmetric why he wouldn't do that too since it must affect my bite.

kcjawjourney

#4 Post by kcjawjourney »

I had an upper jaw cant as well. When I started treatment, my surgeon and orthodontist both agreed they would try to widen my upper arch and attempt to correct the cant to avoid a Lefort. It did widen and level some, but not enough to avoid the surgery. I ultimately had a 3-piece Lefort and so glad I did (in addition to a BSSO). My surgeon got my bite almost perfect during surgery, and I'll only be in braces for around 4 months post-op. (I'm 12 weeks post-op now and only have 6-8 weeks left).