How many surgeons did you consult?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sarahjacks

#1 Post by sarahjacks »

snapdresser

Re: How many surgeons did you consult?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

Two. One fairly prominent (within my region) surgeon, who didn't accept my insurance but was willing to share what his surgical plan would be (though I was charged $500 for the consultation), and one surgeon who is in-network for my insurance who essentially executed the other surgeon's treatment plan.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Rebeccasmells

#3 Post by Rebeccasmells »

One.
One ortho as well.
Perhaps it was a mistake.

sarahjacks

#4 Post by sarahjacks »

[quote="Rebeccasmells"]One.
One ortho as well.
Perhaps it was a mistake.[/quote]

Do you have regrets? Were you unhappy with your results,surgeon, and or process?

Rebeccasmells

#5 Post by Rebeccasmells »

sarahjacks wrote:
Rebeccasmells wrote:One.
One ortho as well.
Perhaps it was a mistake.
Do you have regrets? Were you unhappy with your results,surgeon, and or process?
Where I live th surgeons and orthos work together, as in the orthos have their preferred surgeons. Perhaps it's for geographic reasons, I'm sure it's just convenience for everyone.

I change orthos after two months (he only worked two days a week in my area), so I can't be sure my present ortho would do a different plan or not.

Most likely nothing would have changed, and it's only because I'm part of this website that I give it a second though!

Everything went fine, my teeth look fine....

Mandywill70

#6 Post by Mandywill70 »

Same her Rebecca,

I didn't even think about looking around and getting second, third opinions and cost quotes. I just went with the orthodontist my dentist referred me to and then the maxifillio surgeon she works with...or the group she works with. I chose the only female surgeon at the clinic and my orthodontist said she was an excellent choice.

I had one niggling regret that maybe I could have had a cheaper orthodontist but, then again, I like the fact she has her own private clinic, good reputation. She's obviously very experienced (in her early fifties) and very easy to talk to...as are all her assistants. The maxifillio surgeon was great too so I feel like I have no reason to look further?

Anyway, I have at least a year of braces so I have plenty of time to look at other surgeons I guess!

Elucidation

#7 Post by Elucidation »

Rebeccasmells wrote:Where I live th surgeons and orthos work together, as in the orthos have their preferred surgeons.
Same for me, my orthodontist Dr. Quinn recommended the maxillofacial surgeon Dr. Felice O'Ryan. I talked to one other oral surgeon, and a few doctors in passing in the SF bay area and they all said she was the best for jaw surgeries.

I'm 18 days post-op now, the surgery was done in record time and recovery is going quickly. I still am recovering from swelling and have to wait till my orthodontist starts elastic-ing my teeth together (my bite doesn't yet fit, but they say that's to be expected). So here's hoping this wasn't a bad decision.
Blog: http://doublejawsurgery.samansari.info
My arch-wired topic on my surgery: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=492454

Braces from March 2015 - January 2018
Double-jaw surgery on March 7, 2017 to correct a class III malocclusion (upper -1mm, lower +7mm from normal), ie. an underbite.

braces101

#8 Post by braces101 »

Just one. I had a few recommendations from my dentist and orthodontist, and after meeting with him I was very impressed so didn't take the time to look further.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016

Nellyfizzle

#9 Post by Nellyfizzle »

I went to 2 orthos, 1 aesthetic dentist and 2 maxillos (one of whom is a plastic reconstruct surgeon as well). I literally looked for the most highly recommended people and paid my area off. I don't regret thus far as they've been extremely thorough and helpful... although I haven't even gotten my bracers yet! This op is a LONG time coming (since birth) for me so I'm overly enthusiastic :D I say go for the best or shop around!

kcjawjourney

#10 Post by kcjawjourney »

I went to three oral surgeons. When I found my oral surgeon, I had him refer me to an orthodontist that he works with often on surgical patients. My advice: search until you find a team you trust and feel very comfortable with. I knew within minutes at my third consult that I found the right surgeon. He took his time during my consult, explained the entire process, had a great bedside manner, and is an expert in his field.

vaselina

#11 Post by vaselina »

I went to one orthodontist (based on her having the best reviews), and I went to the surgeon she works with.
Unfortunately, I regret almost everything.
My orthodontist was overbooked and overworked, so I don't think I got the attention necessary for my case. My surgeon was OK, but the facility in which he worked was a billing nightmare which made for a recovery nightmare. Both of them kind of pulled the bait and switch. Both seemed wonderful before the procedures, but dismissed all of my concerns and problems post-treatment. :?

Lala082008

#12 Post by Lala082008 »

I think it depends on the circumstances. My orthodontist gave me two possibilities: one surgeon didn't accept my insurance so I really only had one option. I consulted that surgeon (who is known as the best the state) and felt very confident, so I went with him. The surgeon is affiliated with the local dental school so I also had several residents on my case. Sometimes appointments took a long time, but I feel very confident in the care that I've gotten.

tdc10

#13 Post by tdc10 »

I went to four, which in hindsight was excessive (especially given the high out of pocket consultation fees), but it resulted from my lack of knowledge at the time how critical in- vs. out-of-network was. Two were recommended by my orthodontist, so I saw both, but while I really liked one of them, both were out of network. The third surgeon I saw was in-network, but I felt that he didn't have the level of experience I was looking for. Ultimately, I was happy with the fourth surgeon I saw, who was in-network as well as highly experienced and well regarded throughout the state. My personal view is that everyone should see at least two surgeons before making a decision.

newbiesf1992

#14 Post by newbiesf1992 »

Hi everyone,

i'm new to this board, but wanted a second opinion as well. After nearly completing my orthodontic treatment about 2 months ago (Invisalign), I expressed concern that I still wasn't satisfied with my smile. I noted that there were still some jaw discrepencies that I wanted to have fixed, and my orthodontist agreed that my case was mostly related to the jaw (bone structure), not teeth.

He recommended I go see a jaw surgeon and more specifically, he recommended Dr. Arnett/Dr. Gunson, which according to this board seems like the most popular picks in terms of orthognathic surgeons.

I also did research online by trying to find (1) board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeons who (2) had good reviews online. Other than Yelp reviews though, I couldn't find many doctors who had favorable reviews for jaw surgery. The only other surgeon I was able to find was Nestor Karas (although there was only 1 detailed review regarding his surgery). Additionally, I've found many surgeons who have performed the surgery, but without as many stellar reviews (i.e. Felice O'Ryan).

My question is, has anyone had successful jaw surgery with a surgeon who has performed the surgery many times? I would like an answer other than Arnett/Gunson. If you can reply back to this topic, or PM me, I would greatly appreciate it.