Do I need humidifier for after surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jbird

Do I need humidifier for after surgery?

#1 Post by Jbird »

If so, warm or cool? I can't find this anywhere. For those who used them, which one did you like?

bighoss

Re: Do I need humidifier for after surgery?

#2 Post by bighoss »

I had a cool mist humidifier at bedside during the first week. It didn't make a noticeable difference for me.

A lifesaver during the first week will be sudafed and Afrin nasal spray. Must haves for the significant congestion.

Jawbreak

#3 Post by Jawbreak »

I bought a warm one and I didn't use it on the first few nights because I didn't really have that much trouble breathing. The first night I turned it on, I noticed a big difference. My mouth wasn't as dry, I could breathe better (I guess I hadn't realized I wasn't breathing THAT well) and overall slept a bit better. Sleeping was difficult on the first week and a half, so anything that can help, I feel like it's worth it. Just get a cheap one on Amazon, I got mine for $30 or something like that.
Procedure: Bilateral maxillary and mandibular osteotomy (Lefort I; single piece) & septoplasty
Date of surgery: Nov 30th, 2017
Recovery blog: http://jawbreak.blogspot.com/

Jawbreak

#4 Post by Jawbreak »

Oh and by the way, I don't think warm or cool makes a huge difference. The steam mask they gave me at the hospital was cold, and my surgeon said either is fine. I just wanted a warm one because I had my surgery in winter and didn't want to be cold, but it was actually hard to find a warm one... And now that I think about it, some nights I was annoyed at how warm it was, so maybe a cool mist would be better?
Procedure: Bilateral maxillary and mandibular osteotomy (Lefort I; single piece) & septoplasty
Date of surgery: Nov 30th, 2017
Recovery blog: http://jawbreak.blogspot.com/

Jbird

#5 Post by Jbird »

Thank you. Yes, I think I'll get a cool one because I like to be cool at night. Can't sleep well as it is. Thanks to everyone for helping me out. Good advice.

Elucidation

#6 Post by Elucidation »

I used the Eufy humidifier off of amazon and it was really helpful for the first 4-6 nights. I don't think the warm or cool matters much but I ran it as a warm mist, made the room feel like I was in a bathroom with a hot shower, glorious but wet.

braces101

#7 Post by braces101 »

I did not use a humidifier at all, so I can't really say if it would have made much difference but Afrin definitely helped.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016