Speech issues with splint?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala082008

Speech issues with splint?

#1 Post by Lala082008 »

For those of you who have gone through the surgery and had to wear a splint, how much did it affect your speech? I'm worried because my surgeon said if I get the splint I'll have to wear it for six weeks, and I talk a lot at my job, both in person and on the phone. I work in a very professional environment, and I can't take 6 weeks off from work, but I'm worried no one will be able to understand me with it in.

(I have the option to do surgery without braces, in which case I wouldn't get a splint, but my dr thinks that's a much less preferred option in terms of getting my jaw placed correctly.)

snapdresser

Re: Speech issues with splint?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

I had my surgery without braces and I'm very happy with my jaw placement, for what it's worth, if you're considering the possibility of doing it without braces and the splint due to the nature of your job.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Lala082008

#3 Post by Lala082008 »

snapdresser wrote:I had my surgery without braces and I'm very happy with my jaw placement, for what it's worth, if you're considering the possibility of doing it without braces and the splint due to the nature of your job.

That's great to know, I'd definitely prefer the non-braces route. We're you banded together using TADs during the recovery time?

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

Nope, I had archbars for the elastics.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018