Can braces expand the palate?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Expandedmaxilla

Can braces expand the palate?

#1 Post by Expandedmaxilla »

My upper incisors are crowded and have proclination (teeth bulging out).
I had a sarpe, more than a year ago and had my maxilla expanded 8 mm, but my palate is still crowded.
I complained to my orthodontist about it and he said that he's working on it.

My question is whether braces, damon self ligating custom (insignia) braces can expand the jaw in adults? (1-2 mm)
Or whether it's just marketing sesame they try to sell you and there's nothing special about them?

broadabroad

Re: Can braces expand the palate?

#2 Post by broadabroad »

I was under the impression that the pallate fuses in adulthood and that expansion without surgery was not a permanent solution for adults. (Not a medical professional, so please feel free to disregard my response.) I was curious about it as well as I have an extremely narrow palate.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Damon braces, despite all their misleading (and expensive) marketing do not actually expand the palate. Part of the "Damon System" involves an archform that is flatter in the front and slightly wider. It'll widen the smile somewhat, but it's not unique to Damon; the competition have similar wires available. You are on the right track; they aren't magic, they are just heavily marketed wires and self-ligating brackets not significantly different from any other brand.

godutch

#4 Post by godutch »

Expandedmaxilla wrote:My upper incisors are crowded and have proclination (teeth bulging out).
I had a sarpe, more than a year ago and had my maxilla expanded 8 mm, but my palate is still crowded.
I complained to my orthodontist about it and he said that he's working on it.

My question is whether braces, damon self ligating custom (insignia) braces can expand the jaw in adults? (1-2 mm)
Or whether it's just marketing sesame they try to sell you and there's nothing special about them?
I have had braces for 6 months, my "palate expanded" by around 8mm so far. It's not true palate expansion, it's just the dental arch that got wider. I still have 6 months to go, let's see how much more we can win...

Pics Someone else just posted, that's a lot of expansion with only braces

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49205