Getting braces in 3 days!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala082008

Getting braces in 3 days!

#1 Post by Lala082008 »

I've been doing Invisalign for the past year or so, and will be getting lower jaw surgery (BSSO) in a few months. I guess I hadn't really thought things would happen so fast, but I met with my surgeon today and I need to go ahead and get braces on Thursday! I feel pretty unprepared. Are there any recommendations for things I should get ready or buy before I get them on? I have a waterpick and a sonicare toothbrush, but thats pretty much it.

ItsNever2Late

Re: Getting braces in 3 days!

#2 Post by ItsNever2Late »

I would suggest wax, although your ortho may provide with some, and proxy brushes.

ETA: Don't freak out time will go by faster than you think. Soon enough you will forget they are there. You will love your smile afterwards.

Lala082008

#3 Post by Lala082008 »

ItsNever2Late wrote:I would suggest wax, although your ortho may provide with some, and proxy brushes.

ETA: Don't freak out time will go by faster than you think. Soon enough you will forget they are there. You will love your smile afterwards.
Thanks! I'll pick up wax and proxy brushes on the way home.

I'm trying not to worry about how I'll look at work with my new braces. I was so used to how discreet my Invisalign are, I'm worried it'll be a big change. Anyone have any tips for staying confident?

FlowerPower

#4 Post by FlowerPower »

For on the go:
A pouch
Proxy Brushes
Wax
Travel Sized toothbrush/toothpaste (the toothbrush was provided by my ortho)
Threader Floss.

For the home:
Waterpik (can take this with out with you but I just prefer regular floss for my pouch)
Mouthwash with Fluoride (I like ACT Restore)

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I think the trick to staying confident is to visualize the final result, act like braces are no big thing, and realize that no one really cares enough to notice. The indifference is quite shocking. Well at least to me. I expected a series of little pity parties on my behalf, perhaps with adult beverages, but no one really cared. Life goes on. I'll tell you something else -- when I got them off after 3 years NO ONE NOTICED, EITHER! DO THOSE PEOPLE HAVE NO SENSE OF OBSERVATION?

Pardon me, lost my mind for a minute there. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

abc321

#6 Post by abc321 »

HI Lala, seems like things have sped up for you, how are you getting on? I second lots of wax, I am still using it daily on some brackets. Hope things are going well!

godutch

#7 Post by godutch »

abc321 wrote:HI Lala, seems like things have sped up for you, how are you getting on? I second lots of wax, I am still using it daily on some brackets. Hope things are going well!
i say no wax unless you see a sore (like an ulcus or erosion), make sure the wires aren't sticking out and get them shortened when they do. That way your mouth will get used to the braces quickly and new adjustments won't hurt so much. When the hooks really bother me too much I push them back just a little bit (with small pliers or the back of a pair of tweezers or a key or any small blunt metal thing), you don't need to bend them much a 0.2 millimeter can be enough