Mouth is always so dry!!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

30yearoldbraceface

Mouth is always so dry!!

#1 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

My mouth is always so so dry! It is driving me crazy! I never had this problem before having braces :( anyone have any good tips on how to help my dry mouth feeling go away? (Been in braces for 10 days so far)

Trickycoolj

Re: Mouth is always so dry!!

#2 Post by Trickycoolj »

Maybe try Biotine toothpaste and wash for a little bit while adjusting, it's specifically formulated for dry mouth. Also consider switching to an SLS free toothpaste that stuff is quite irritating and can dry out the mouth especially if you're getting used to new brackets. Pronamel and most Sensodyne pastes are SLS free double check the ingredients. Most popular brands are loaded with the stuff and it gives me a mouth full of canker sores even on my tonsils and corners of my mouth. The only bummer is that most SLS free pastes are in the $4-6 range.

1993: 4 top brackets, bite plate, lower lingual arch, head gear
2004: 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed
2007: night guard for bruxism headaches
March 2015: Invisalign 35 trays
August 2016: Invisalign 9 trays
http://lineupwithme.blogspot.com/

PhDGuy

#3 Post by PhDGuy »

I second what Trickycoolj said. Try Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. They also have a mouthspray, which comes in handy between brushings. All of their products are formulated to not irritate a dry mouth and I have found them to be very useful (had dry mouth before getting braces and my dentist switched me over to Biotene). Also, drink more water and gargle with salt water as it will help. Lastly, stay away from mouthwash that has alcohol in it since it will dry out your mouth. I hope this helps.

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Try sugarfree Breathsavers (the blue package), it helped better than any other product.

30yearoldbraceface

#5 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

Thank you guys! Appreciate the tips! What would I do without this forum?!? Hehe

metalliKa

#6 Post by metalliKa »

I find that chewing a sugarless gum helps tremendously! I've been chewing gum on and off during the day and now my dry mouth has ceased.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

JadeWA

#7 Post by JadeWA »

Biotene was fantastic for me when I suffered from dry mouth :D

Gracie324

#8 Post by Gracie324 »

12 days into this adventure and I am thinking that chardonnay is the best thing for a dry mouth! ; )

jk40

#9 Post by jk40 »

[quote="Gracie324"]12 days into this adventure and I am thinking that chardonnay is the best thing for a dry mouth! ; )[/quote]

Through a straw I hope :D

assertives

#10 Post by assertives »

Try a moisturizing mouthwash. I had dry mouth in the beginning too but it seems to have gone away after about a month.

korikelly

#11 Post by korikelly »

Glad it’s not just me! Today marks 2 weeks for me, and it’s been driving me crazy. Can’t wait to try your suggestions.

Raekon

#12 Post by Raekon »

Make sure there's no alcohol in your mouthwash if you're using it