Swollen gums !!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jeska0113

Swollen gums !!

#1 Post by Jeska0113 »

So I've been having swollen gums for about3weeks now. Yes i brush and floss everyday. Ive tried the salt water thing and nothing. How or what do you do to make em go back to normal ? Lol i was told to rinse with hydrogen peroxide :shock: has anyone tried this?? Anything helps i am desperate right now!! Lol

djspeece

Re: Swollen gums !!

#2 Post by djspeece »

You may want to have your orthodontist take a look to make sure nothing bad is going on, such as infection. However, with an infection of any sort you'd like likely have pain, swollen lymph nodes in the neck, and fever -- but not always. I don't think anyone here can give you an accurate diagnosis based on your description, but play it safe (I am an RN). Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Jeska0113

#3 Post by Jeska0113 »

Ok thanks !

sneed1o1

#4 Post by sneed1o1 »

I've had this issue both times with braces. Gingimed rinse didn't work, salt water rinses didn't work...I use anti-gingivitis mouthwash, it helps a little. My former dentist said my swollen gums were caused by the pressure from the braces, nothing due to poor oral hygiene. My gums only shrink a little, and then I'm stuck with the leftovers. This happened after my first round of braces. I had a laser gingivectomy before, it wasn't bad. I'm trying to explore other options that may work before I get this done again. Any luck??

Jeska0113

#5 Post by Jeska0113 »

sneed1o1 wrote:I've had this issue both times with braces. Gingimed rinse didn't work, salt water rinses didn't work...I use anti-gingivitis mouthwash, it helps a little. My former dentist said my swollen gums were caused by the pressure from the braces, nothing due to poor oral hygiene. My gums only shrink a little, and then I'm stuck with the leftovers. This happened after my first round of braces. I had a laser gingivectomy before, it wasn't bad. I'm trying to explore other options that may work before I get this done again. Any luck??
Thanks! I waa using a mouthwash i think peridontex? That helped a little. Yeah i thought it was cuz of the pressure too but my ortho said i wasn't brushing. Which i know i was lol so he instilled the thought in me that my oral hygiene was bad. Btw what is a laser gingivectomy?

sneed1o1

#6 Post by sneed1o1 »

Jeska0113 wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:I've had this issue both times with braces. Gingimed rinse didn't work, salt water rinses didn't work...I use anti-gingivitis mouthwash, it helps a little. My former dentist said my swollen gums were caused by the pressure from the braces, nothing due to poor oral hygiene. My gums only shrink a little, and then I'm stuck with the leftovers. This happened after my first round of braces. I had a laser gingivectomy before, it wasn't bad. I'm trying to explore other options that may work before I get this done again. Any luck??
Thanks! I waa using a mouthwash i think peridontex? That helped a little. Yeah i thought it was cuz of the pressure too but my ortho said i wasn't brushing. Which i know i was lol so he instilled the thought in me that my oral hygiene was bad. Btw what is a laser gingivectomy?
Right! I hate when they say that! :roll: A laser gingivectomy is when the dentist takes a laser to cut the excess gums away versus using a scalpel. It's less bleeding, quicker healing. My orthodontist prescribed me some kind of fluoride paste, but I don't think I'm going to get it because I've read that a lot of fluoride can cause white spots, and I have enough already lol I'm so over these doctors not listening to the clients. Just give me what I want already!! :-+