Braces change face/nose?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface10

Braces change face/nose?

#1 Post by braceface10 »

Hello, I got a few teeth extracted 5 months ago and braces on 2 months ago. I feel as if my face and nose have been changing, for the worse, ever since. It took me some time to notice but now I think I may have figured it out. It's as if my face has become narrower and longer, but at the same time more square and I can't stand it. My nose looks bigger and more pointy. I am 14, about to turn 15, if that helps, so maybe it is just growing but I don't think so. Perhaps it could be from losing weight in my face. I don't know.
I have an appointment in a few days to get my braces tightened but I think maybe I should bring this up. They might think I'm being ridiculous, but other stories I'ce read have said a similar thing happened to them. I brought it up to my dad and he started laughing. (not in a rude way, but definitely not taking me seriously)
PLEASE HELP!!! I hate looking at myself, yet in an odd way I cannot stop. (I was never very self-concious or disgusted by my looks until after I got my teeth pulled) Thank you!!

Bracingmyself901

Re: Braces change face/nose?

#2 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

Extracting healthy teeth comes with risk. Unfortunately, it does sound like extractions contributed to negative changes in your face, coupled with puberty. Talk to your ortho about your concerns.

Lovespain5

#3 Post by Lovespain5 »

braceface10 wrote:Hello, I got a few teeth extracted 5 months ago and braces on 2 months ago. I feel as if my face and nose have been changing, for the worse, ever since. It took me some time to notice but now I think I may have figured it out. It's as if my face has become narrower and longer, but at the same time more square and I can't stand it. My nose looks bigger and more pointy. I am 14, about to turn 15, if that helps, so maybe it is just growing but I don't think so. Perhaps it could be from losing weight in my face. I don't know.
I have an appointment in a few days to get my braces tightened but I think maybe I should bring this up. They might think I'm being ridiculous, but other stories I'ce read have said a similar thing happened to them. I brought it up to my dad and he started laughing. (not in a rude way, but definitely not taking me seriously)
PLEASE HELP!!! I hate looking at myself, yet in an odd way I cannot stop. (I was never very self-concious or disgusted by my looks until after I got my teeth pulled) Thank you!!
Why do you opt for extractions? What was exactly your initial problem : bimaxillary protrusion, Class II or crowding? Which teeth had been extracted?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

lexax

#4 Post by lexax »

can you show some pics? You may just haven't gotten used to your new look? And how old were you when you experienced those change?