Hawley retainer clasps creating gaps?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

samoorelaw

Hawley retainer clasps creating gaps?

#1 Post by samoorelaw »

Hello all,

I notice that one end of the labial bow on my lower Hawley is causing a slight gap between my teeth where the bow rests. Is this common? My ortho removed the ball clasps on my lower retainer after those were also causing a small gap between my first molar and second bicuspid. The funny thing is, the labial bow and clasps are not causing ANY gaps in my upper arch.

For some reason, my lower teeth are just wanting to open up. Would a wraparound Hawley be best for me possibly or should I get a lower Essix? I will be asking my ortho this the next time I see him (Thursday), but the issue is I cannot get an Essix now anyway because I still have partial braces on my molars on the upper and lower arches so Essix is out for a bit. Also, I like that I can drink whatever I want in my Hawleys without having to take them out, so I still want a Hawley, especially since they are more durable.

Thoughts?
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

SameQuestion

Re: Hawley retainer clasps creating gaps?

#2 Post by SameQuestion »

I did a google search for this exact problem and this was the only relevant result! I made an account on this forum just for this thread!

Does anyone have any additional information about hawley retainers creating spaces between teeth? I just got mine 2 days ago and I've already noticed the difference when flossing. Is this dangerous?

samoorelaw

#3 Post by samoorelaw »

I had this same problem with traditional hawleys, particularly with the lower arch gaps opening up. So I got wraparound Hawleys and that solved the problem: the essix didn't close the gaps up.
Hello all,

I notice that one end of the labial bow on my lower Hawley is causing a slight gap between my teeth where the bow rests. Is this common? My ortho removed the ball clasps on my lower retainer after those were also causing a small gap between my first molar and second bicuspid. The funny thing is, the labial bow and clasps are not causing ANY gaps in my upper arch.

For some reason, my lower teeth are just wanting to open up. Would a wraparound Hawley be best for me possibly or should I get a lower Essix? I will be asking my ortho this the next time I see him (Thursday), but the issue is I cannot get an Essix now anyway because I still have partial braces on my molars on the upper and lower arches so Essix is out for a bit. Also, I like that I can drink whatever I want in my Hawleys without having to take them out, so I still want a Hawley, especially since they are more durable.

Thoughts?

samoorelaw

#4 Post by samoorelaw »

This is hysterical, when I wrote my reply recently I didn't recall that I am the one who stared this thread over two years ago, nor did I re-read my original post. A shame one can't delete one's posts...so embarrassing.