How are bite blocks removed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carie

How are bite blocks removed?

#1 Post by Carie »

I can't find an answer to this, despite googling. I'm very curious as I think I might be ready for this soon!
I've had a very hard time with my bite blocks. I swear to god that one side was built up more than the other, so one tooth has been taking all of my bite force, and as a clencher - especially overnight- it has caused me a lot of pain. It was very painful constantly on that side since the beginning of treatment. Only just recently calmed down a bunch. (I think due to having ground it/ pushed it in enough to level out, also elastics have moved everything around a lot in there.)
But I've gotton so used to it being seriously painful for the ortho do anything up there that I'm anxious about the removal process. How do they do it???

Tubb

Re: How are bite blocks removed?

#2 Post by Tubb »

I'm not sure but I assume they polish them off

Carie

#3 Post by Carie »

Yeah, like some kind of abrasive wizzy drill sander type thing?? They're substantial solid blocks pushed right up the deep grooves in second molars. I guess it'll be a bit like having a filling, but a lot more to drill out. And a lots of pressure and vibrations.
Anyone that's been through this; any more knowledge would welcomed!

traintracks92

#4 Post by traintracks92 »

I had bite turbos ( as I call them!) put on the bottom front two teeth of mine. This was to correct a slight underbite which my ortho corrected through some IPR (it was that or remove some teeth). I had those bite turbo's on for about 3 months, didn't notice them about after 3-4 weeks. I just had my appointment couple weeks ago and my ortho used this machine that filed them away. Took about 1 minute!

dewzer

#5 Post by dewzer »

They just grind them off, it only takes a minute. Mine were removed at my last appointment and it was such a relief!

anacsilva

#6 Post by anacsilva »

I got bite blocks yesterday, as well as hooks. AWFUL :x :x
Ana, the (probably) most paranoid and obsessed human being on this Earth. Big mistake, putting something on my teeth for years while I can freely obsess over it :P

Top braces (front and left side): February 21st, 2016
Top braces (full): ...... it was supposed to be a month later
Bottom braces: probably never, at this speed!

verso

#7 Post by verso »

Getting mine off next week and looking forward to it!

BracesGuy

#8 Post by BracesGuy »

Same way as composite is typically removed in other situations, using a burr on a drill.

verso

#9 Post by verso »

Got mine removed today and I can still feel some composite where they once were on my molars. Not really bothersome, just feels funny when I run my tongue over those teeth. Is a little residual composite a problem?

helloJT

#10 Post by helloJT »

I had bite turbos put in when I got my braces in the same day (7 weeks ago). It was hard because it prevented me from chewing since my teeth were not touching. I asked my orthodontist how long do I have to wear them but he didn't have a definite time. He said as long as it takes for me to adjust to my new bite. I grin my teeth at night so it hurt like crazy in the beginning but now I just sleep with my mouth slightly open. My turbos were some soft blue-like stuff that got "cured"? (probably misspelled) with some light and shaved to fit my bite. If you got the same thing, I assume they will drill/shave/smooth it off later?