Teeth still hurt

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amp

Teeth still hurt

#1 Post by amp »

Hello!
I have been braced for 3 weeks....upper and lower.
My teeth STILL hurt and I have really not eaten normally since. My front teeth specifically still feel very tender and sore...and I am kind of afraid to even try to eat with them.
Is this normal??? Does this ever go away???
Thanks!!

jaime

Re: Teeth still hurt

#2 Post by jaime »

It sounds normal to me! I would say that as long as you're not in a LOT of pain and needing to take meds around the clock, that it's probably normal. I got my braces May 21st and I remember still having a hard time chewing (due to soreness) in July. I remember thinking it would never go away but it eventually did.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

braceasaurus

#3 Post by braceasaurus »

I'm EXACTLY the same way! I've had my braces for just over 3 weeks now and can't bite into anything because my teeth are too tender. So I'm cutting everything up still.

Try to see it as a good thing, it means the teeth are ready to move move move! At least that's what I tell myself...
Braced on 27.10.16 to fix an anterior open bite, overjet & mild crowding. Class 1 malocclusion. Ceramic braces upper 6 + steel lower, then double jaw surgery in about a year, once my extraction gaps have closed!

Sentence: 24-30 months.

amp

#4 Post by amp »

Thanks for the replies - somewhat reassuring!! The pain is tolerable (albeit very disconcerting) but it is more that at this point I am scared too chew with my front teeth!! Does anyone feel this way?...and all I have tried is yogurt, eggs, ice cream, soup..mac and cheese!

Ziggy

#5 Post by Ziggy »

If you can knock the pain down with OTC pain relievers it sounds pretty normal to me. While I can eat pretty normally now, in the beginning I learned be creative with smoothies. It's amazing what you can put in a blender. I thrown an Oreo into just about everything I blend. :-) If you are trying to lose some weight take advantage of this. I needed to lose some weight and the braces really helped. I've lost 15 lbs. Sill have a ways to go but not snacking is helping a lot.

thubird

#6 Post by thubird »

Hey there same here I got braces 4 days ago and my back molars are killing me also my front teeth are super sensitive that I can't bite down on anything. I'm hoping it goes away soon but if you ever need to lose weight getting braced is a good idea hahah.

ItsNever2Late

#7 Post by ItsNever2Late »

I was braced 10/18/16 and 3 weeks in most of my pain had decreased significantly. I would still have random intervals of group tooth soreness at a time. Like my molars on the left would hurt 2 days. Then front teeth for 2 days. Etc. it was extremely weird. I have a gap, well had a gap, btwn my two front teeth. So day 1 included powerchain on those two. I had my first wire change on 12/13/16 and new powerchain across my entire top arch, with that being said my front teeth are still "weak". Not so much pain anymore but it just feels like if I bite into something my tooth might actually come out, lol. I think for me specifically it's because those teeth have had the most movement and because they are still on the go they aren't "rooted" to the spot. I just break things up or use my canines or molars to rip apart. Needless to say I pick carefully what I eat in public.

It gets better. And this is coming from someone who never thought it would. Hang in there!

Beckett

#8 Post by Beckett »

I've been in nearly 9 months and I still don't bite down with my front teeth. Too tender. Everything I eat still has to be cut up. I can chew better than in the beginning, but I still avoid things that are too crunchy. My jaw gets tired really fast with anything not soft enough.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

itssheemz

#9 Post by itssheemz »

I have a powerchain thruout all my teeth on both top and bottom with elastics and the pain is soooooooooooooooo bad at the moment?? My whole jaw and head hurts also?? is this normal and how long will it last??
I was also told to wear my rubber bands at night only but the pain usually hurts when u put the bands back in again and i wont be able to sleep if i have bands in at night only instead of getting used to the pain during the day, but during the day u cant eat bc u have to take the bands in and out and that KILLS??

itssheemz

#10 Post by itssheemz »

I have a powerchain thruout all my teeth on both top and bottom with elastics and the pain is soooooooooooooooo bad at the moment?? My whole jaw and head hurts also?? is this normal and how long will it last??
I was also told to wear my rubber bands at night only but the pain usually hurts when u put the bands back in again and i wont be able to sleep if i have bands in at night only instead of getting used to the pain during the day, but during the day u cant eat bc u have to take the bands in and out and that KILLS??

Beckett

#11 Post by Beckett »

Give yourself a week or so to get used to the on and off of the elastics. I was full time, then went to nights on one side, then back to full time with a new one added in reverse position back on the other side. Each time he changed my protocol I had to get used to it all over again. I honestly prefer wearing them 24/7 as my teeth feel sore when I take them out for too long.

And yeah, it sounds normal. Take some ibuprofen for the pain and after a few days you probably won't have to anymore.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.