Hate outcome at 3mo post op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

glennstanzalone

Hate outcome at 3mo post op

#1 Post by glennstanzalone »

I feel like a freak, like I ruined my face. My swelling stuck around for way longer than the doctor said and I still look so awful. I also have significant numbness still. When will I know what I will look like for the rest of my life? I'm already meeting with facial plastic surgeons...
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

snapdresser

Re: Hate outcome at 3mo post op

#2 Post by snapdresser »

It'll take 9mos to a year to see what your final results are :?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

glennstanzalone

#3 Post by glennstanzalone »

snapdresser wrote:It'll take 9mos to a year to see what your final results are :?

Really?? I was told 3-6 months but that at 3 months I should be mostly done. What aesthetic changes should I be looking for? Here's a picture of one day pre-op and 13 weeks post op.
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016

jawregret1

#4 Post by jawregret1 »

It depends on what you dislike. Some things will be due to swelling, but others won't change much. Three months is a bit early, but your face won't change dramatically from 3 months to 9 like it did in the first three months.

What exactly are you unhappy with?

LyraM45

#5 Post by LyraM45 »

I would say by 6 months you should have a good idea in most cases.... but some cases take longer. Rule of thumb is allow a year for everything to fully settle. I had swelling around my nose for 9 months post op my first surgery, and the same until 6 months post op after revision. And there is probably more settling that still needs to happen now even at 9 months post revision. Nothing is quick in this process.

glennstanzalone

#6 Post by glennstanzalone »

jawregret1 wrote:It depends on what you dislike. Some things will be due to swelling, but others won't change much. Three months is a bit early, but your face won't change dramatically from 3 months to 9 like it did in the first three months.

What exactly are you unhappy with?
I have puffy jowls. My face is now rectangular instead of heart shaped. I only look ok when I smile. Otherwise it looks terrible.

glennstanzalone

#7 Post by glennstanzalone »

LyraM45 wrote:I would say by 6 months you should have a good idea in most cases.... but some cases take longer. Rule of thumb is allow a year for everything to fully settle. I had swelling around my nose for 9 months post op my first surgery, and the same until 6 months post op after revision. And there is probably more settling that still needs to happen now even at 9 months post revision. Nothing is quick in this process.
Around my cheeks are swollen still and next to my mouth I think? My surgeon and a facial plastic surgeon told me to wait until 6 months but like every blog I read says 3 months! I feel like there's something wrong with me. I have deep nasolabial and buccolabial folds where I didn't before. My surgeon said part of it could just be who I am. I almost started crying. I feel like I've ruined my face completely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SingleJawMelb

#8 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Has your nose changed shape

glennstanzalone

#9 Post by glennstanzalone »

SingleJawMelb wrote:Has your nose changed shape
Yes I attached a picture above

SingleJawMelb

#10 Post by SingleJawMelb »

glennstanzalone wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:Has your nose changed shape
Yes I attached a picture above

I was more asking for clarity.

jawregret1

#11 Post by jawregret1 »

Why were you impacted? I've had all the same changes after an impaction...

glennstanzalone

#12 Post by glennstanzalone »

jawregret1 wrote:Why were you impacted? I've had all the same changes after an impaction...
Had a gummy smile and long face. I still show some gum if I laugh and show about 6mm of tooth at rest. I am looking at older pictures of me before the surgery and I think I might just be paranoid and this might just be excess swelling.

shortcircuit

#13 Post by shortcircuit »

I've seen blogs where people said they were all shrunk down in 3 months, however I've also seen many that said they were still seeing changes up to a year post-op. I'm by no means any kind of pro at this but it looks to me like you still have a lot of swelling...just give it some more time and don't worry.

BattaliaF26

#14 Post by BattaliaF26 »

Be patient, it's early yet

sarzo14

#15 Post by sarzo14 »

Do yo u maybe have a blog or something, because I also have a long face and gummy smile and will be having surgery next year. I just wanted to see some more changes you had.