Bracket placement - opinions needed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

petebite

Bracket placement - opinions needed

#1 Post by petebite »

Hi all,

I've had surgery to correct my bite, but now my top teeth hit the bottom brackets. I feel that the brackets on the bottom teeth are placed too high, however, my ortho indicated that she thought it would be fixed by putting some elastics further back. What do you think?

djspeece

Re: Bracket placement - opinions needed

#2 Post by djspeece »

I think I would take my ortho's guidance since she has the training and experience.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

petebite

#3 Post by petebite »

djspeece wrote:I think I would take my ortho's guidance since she has the training and experience.
Of course, I'm not about to start moving brackets on my own. Just looking for other opinions - it's not like an ortho has never made a mistake!

sneed1o1

#4 Post by sneed1o1 »

I feel the same way about my top teeth brackets! I feel mine are placed too high, but like the previous poster said, there is definitely a method to their madness... :wink: trust them. If not, you can always get a second professional opinion. Do you see them when you smile? Unfortunately for me, my top teeth show in the worst way possible with my brackets. :roll:

Beckett

#5 Post by Beckett »

Your ortho placed your braces in the spot they did for a reason. If your upper teeth now hit your lower brackets they can install small rubber bumpers on the lower brackets. It's like a clear, fat ligature. I had them for a couple of months in the very beginning while they were opening my deep bite. As soon as they cleared they were removed. Best day ever as they were annoying. But you deal, you know?
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

SingleJawMelb

#6 Post by SingleJawMelb »

djspeece wrote:I think I would take my ortho's guidance since she has the training and experience.

That's not how it works around here! :lol:

SingleJawMelb

#7 Post by SingleJawMelb »

petebite wrote:Hi all,

I've had surgery to correct my bite, but now my top teeth hit the bottom brackets. I feel that the brackets on the bottom teeth are placed too high, however, my ortho indicated that she thought it would be fixed by putting some elastics further back. What do you think?

Mine do the same. It's probably not an issue.

sneed1o1

#8 Post by sneed1o1 »

SingleJawMelb wrote:

Haha, right? I hate when people get rude over others asking for our opinions. It's simple, if they want their orthodontist's opinion, they'll ask the orthodontist. The perspectives are different, and that makes for well-rounded insight. Keep the questions coming. :)

SingleJawMelb

#9 Post by SingleJawMelb »

sneed1o1 wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:

Haha, right? I hate when people get rude over others asking for our opinions. It's simple, if they want their orthodontist's opinion, they'll ask the orthodontist. The perspectives are different, and that makes for well-rounded insight. Keep the questions coming. :)
No I'm actually agreeing with Djspeece. No one on this board has the ability to give you better information than your orthos. All we can do is give a bit of guidance, calm your fears, ultimately your ortho is probably right.

Carie

#10 Post by Carie »

I wondered too about the positioning of some of my brackets- front bottoms seemed really high, like you feel. Plus a couple at a strange angle that really didn't seem to relate to how I wanted my teeth to move. And one that popped off got put on in a different place.
But orthodontistry should apparently be called magic.
Stick with it!
If there is an issue with teeth biting on brackets get that sorted with bite blocks or similar, as you will end up biting brackets off (and potentially damaging teeth).
But your ortho is taking a all sorts of current and future movements in all sorts of directions into account. Trust them. X

sneed1o1

#11 Post by sneed1o1 »

Again, it's always good to get more than one opinion. As stated, everyone obviously has different perspectives, whether professionally or between peers. I've seen two different periodontist telling me two completely different things, both professional. :roll: I don't blame OP for branching out. There's no ONE right way to achieve results.

DrJasonKTam

#12 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The elastics that you are using should help extrude the posterior teeth. This will allow the back teeth to start to contact first, with less force on the anterior teeth. Your right lower canine also looks quite pointed, so at the end of treatment it might not be a bad idea to smooth out the biting surface if that is the area that is in premature contact. Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Ziggy

#13 Post by Ziggy »

My ortho put some buildups behind my front teeth to keep my uppers from contacting the braces on the bottom. As others have said, placement of the brackets is critical to getting a positive outcome.