Ceramic braces - white coated wire or metal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaydizzle

Ceramic braces - white coated wire or metal?

#1 Post by jaydizzle »

Hiya,

I'm new to the forum and am due to have my ceramic braces fitted in less than 2 weeks... eek!

I have the option of a standard metal wire or a white coated wire. My ortho recommends the metal one, because it moves the teeth quicker. She also said the coating on the white wires can chip off, revealing the metal underneath.

I'd much prefer a white wire as they're more discreet. I don't mind too much that it takes longer, if I'd feel more confident wearing it. However, the chipping is a bit concerning. How bad does it get? Would an electric toothbrush help or make it worse?

I'd love to know your thoughts and experiences of either wire colour.

Thanks!

stellarxoxo

Re: Ceramic braces - white coated wire or metal?

#2 Post by stellarxoxo »

I've been braced for 6 months now with ceramics and for the most part I've had the white wire ties with the exception of one snaggle tooth needing the metal wire. I just upgraded to the coloured elastics yesterday (yay) but I never had an issue with the white chipping off the wire. Both are hardly noticeable. I will say though that the standard wire moved my snaggle tooth into place within a month though!

jaydizzle

#3 Post by jaydizzle »

Thanks for the reply. Wow, it moved in just a month? That's great. I guess it's one of those things - the quicker my teeth straighten out, the less concerned I'll feel about drawing attention to them! Hmm... decisions. Good to hear not everyone scratches the coating off though.

SingleJawMelb

#4 Post by SingleJawMelb »

I've never see a white wire... wonder what the go is.

jaydizzle

#5 Post by jaydizzle »

Not sure how common white wires are. I saw someone wearing one and I've seen pictures online, so I asked about it in my consultation. I do think they look really smart as they blend in with the teeth well.

Catpotat

#6 Post by Catpotat »

I have ceramics with a white wire. They make my braces virtually imperceptible in photos and give an overall whiter appearance to your smile. Even though the coating does chip easily for me, it's usually around the back teeth and the front remains generally intact and not noticeable at all to other people - I would highly recommend it! :)

jaydizzle

#7 Post by jaydizzle »

That's great to hear! I agree they do look good, definitely give a 'cleaner' or brighter look from what I've seen. Thanks for your reply.