How often do you have your teeth Cleaned?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Patterned919

Re: How often do you have your teeth Cleaned?

#16 Post by Patterned919 »

I haven't started yet, but I plan to go every 3 or 4 months for the duration of my treatment.

Nozzelnut

#17 Post by Nozzelnut »

I'm in the 4 month rotation. They can get places with their tools I have a hard time reaching.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

SingleJawMelb

#18 Post by SingleJawMelb »

4 months or so. I have a gap between my front bottom two teeth that is a plaque magnet. I clean that myself now.

zenag89

#19 Post by zenag89 »

I plan to go every 6 months because that is what my insurance covers

annamariefranco

#20 Post by annamariefranco »

Every six months is what my insurance covers.

Jeska0113

#21 Post by Jeska0113 »

So i was told to give my teeth a deep cleaning before i got @y braces but i didnt do it and now im scared to do that cuz now i have em on including a quad helix expander. D:

braceasaurus

#22 Post by braceasaurus »

Both my orthodontist and my hygienist recommended the usual 6 month interval, which is lucky because where i'm from, the waiting list is about that long.

aussietrumpeter

#23 Post by aussietrumpeter »

I'm only going every 6 months but in the meantime I brush three times a day, use a fluoride mouthwash and inter-dental brushes and floss and tooth mousse ! So much time and effort but I'm scared of getting white spots.

BrunetteMoment

#24 Post by BrunetteMoment »

I'll be going every 6 months as recommended. My orthodontist wants me to brush 4 times a day for 4 minutes at a time, as well as use mouthwash and floss at least once a day.

Carie

#25 Post by Carie »

Every six months for me too. I had one yesterday. The hygienist made a point of going through the basics with me again. I'll pass it on incase anyone missed it.
-Don't brush within 30 min of eating or drinking, as the enamel is weaker from acid.
-After brushing never rinse out, dont spit too thouroughly, try and leave a little coating around your teeth for 10 min.
- Don't mouthwash after brushing. Use it at other times as needed. Ie. Appropriate time after drink or snacks.

cjtramont

#26 Post by cjtramont »

My hygienist recommends every four months for me. Her recommendations:

- brushing at least four times per day (breakfast, lunch , supper, bedtime) with a soft toothbrush.
- wait 30 minutes after eating to brush.
- start brushing using only a wet toothbrush, no toothpaste to remove larger pieces of food trapped in braces. Then brush with toothpaste.
- Floss at least once every day.
- Two FULL minutes brushing your teeth. You should spend at least 30 seconds on your upper right side, 30 seconds on your upper left side, 30 seconds on your lower left side, and finally 30 seconds on your lower right side.
- Rinse your mouth with water to remove the foam left after brushing with your toothpaste. In the evening right before bed however, spit but DO NOT RINSE.

I stopped using mouthwash since it stained my teeth pretty bad and was a pain for my hygienist to clean.