Can't drink without swishing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catpotat

Can't drink without swishing

#1 Post by Catpotat »

Hi guys, just wanted to share that I cannot drink anything without first swishing it around my mouth.
Especially after a meal, when I have food particles stuck in my braces and go for a drink of water to dislodge it all.
This probably looks disgusting in public. Any thoughts, similar experiences or advice?
I don't know if there's anything I can do other than leave it until I can excuse myself to the bathroom :<

EWUgal15

Re: Can't drink without swishing

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

I did this all the time when I had braces. If people made funny looks at me, I made funny looks back while I continued to swish...then I'd smile and show off my braces, then continue to looks for any food that might still be stuck while making eye contact with the people that stared. They got the point and gave up trying to make me look rude. But I was never ashamed to swish water at the table.

verso

#3 Post by verso »

When I'm alone, I swish. When I'm with friends or in public, I excuse myself to the bathroom. Just feel like it's the polite thing to do and swishing water around in your mouth is poor manners like picking your teeth.

Braces aren't anything to be ashamed of or embarrassed about, and neither are dentures. But if someone took their dentures out at the dinner table and dunked them in their glass of water, wouldn't YOU want to gag? I know I would!
Last edited by verso on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaime

#4 Post by jaime »

I swish liquid in public. Sometimes I'll use my fist to cover my mouth but after 28 months, my personal philosophy at this point is "fudge" it!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

whitney555

#5 Post by whitney555 »

I swish all the time, so much so that it's become a habit where I'll swish whatever I'm drinking. Usually it's water, which is refreshing, but sometimes it's coffee, which is gross. Whoops! I'm not shy about swishing because it's a lot less gross than going in and picking stuff out (which I still do in public all the time, but usually as a last resort).

It's so uncomfortable to have food stuck in your teeth all the time! I definitely prioritize my physical comfort over other people's social comfort.

JCloNY

#6 Post by JCloNY »

Most of my friends have had braces so they are understanding of the need to swish. They also know the swishing is an attempt to avoid breaching out one of the mini-brushes so they are ok with it. As for folks at other tables I could care less. I see stranger things in New York. :lol:
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

verso

#7 Post by verso »

Guess I'm in the minority! To be sure, swishing is somewhere far at the bottom on the list of impolite things a person could conceivably do, but I still feel like it's sort of gross. But hey, that's me. I'll excuse myself to the bathroom, and you guys swish away! Just don't pick your nose in front of me, and I think we'll be fine.

autumnl

#8 Post by autumnl »

Glad to see I'm not alone! I swish all the time- so much that I think it's an involuntary thing now. I do drink the occassional soda and I end up swishing with sugar :(

verso

#9 Post by verso »

^ If you're going to swish, for the love of God don't do it with soda or coffee. Can we at least agree upon that???

Look, it doesn't matter to me what you swish with. It's your teeth, and who knows just how much of a difference it will make, if any, but I can't imagine that *swishing* with dark, sugary beverages could be better for you than not. It can only be worse for your teeth, however minutely.

Man, I ate popcorn the other day -- well, more like sucked on it -- and I thought *I* was being a badass. You guys are swishing and gargling and brushing your teeth with coffee! :lol:

kpw818

#10 Post by kpw818 »

Meowmei wrote:Hi guys, just wanted to share that I cannot drink anything without first swishing it around my mouth.
Especially after a meal, when I have food particles stuck in my braces and go for a drink of water to dislodge it all.
This probably looks disgusting in public. Any thoughts, similar experiences or advice?
I don't know if there's anything I can do other than leave it until I can excuse myself to the bathroom :<
I do it all the time subconsciously. Eh, I figure it is better than having food in the braces?

SingleJawMelb

#11 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Oh people notice ? :lol:

bbsadmin

#12 Post by bbsadmin »

I used to swish all the time when I had braces. It's a necessity because food debris gets stuck all the time. As long as you're not exaggerating the swishing and doing it rather discreetly, I don't see why it's a problem at all!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

LisainTX

#13 Post by LisainTX »

With practice I have found that I can swish pretty well without using much water and targeting an area. I sometimes just put my napkin up to my mouth for a brief moment. Friends don't mind and I don't think from a distance it is very noticeable. If its a lot of food I will definitely get up and go to restroom just for my own sanity. Rice is NOT my friend.....

verso

#14 Post by verso »

^ Yeah rice is tough. It's like rice was made for getting stuck in braces

friendlyturtle

#15 Post by friendlyturtle »

I always drink (and inevitably swish) a bottle of water after eating to help get rid of particles. So far nobody has given me nasty looks or have even cared at all, though I do try to keep it low key because it can look weird. :)