How often do you have your teeth Cleaned?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stellarxoxo

How often do you have your teeth Cleaned?

#1 Post by stellarxoxo »

Curious as to how often you have your teeth Cleaned while braced? My actual dentist told me every 6 months but I'd like to go more often. Getting your teeth Cleaned more often , will that affect the look of my teeth once my braces are off? Moreso meaning thr higher chance of white squares on my teeth...

Thanks!

metalliKa

Re: How often do you have your teeth Cleaned?

#2 Post by metalliKa »

I only went twice a year as recommended. And even though I flossed and brushed after every meal, I still had quite a bit of plaque build up at the end.

Some go in every three months. Do what's comfortable and affordable for you.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

jfriend33

#3 Post by jfriend33 »

metalliKa wrote:I only went twice a year as recommended. And even though I flossed and brushed after every meal, I still had quite a bit of plaque build up at the end.

Some go in every three months. Do what's comfortable and affordable for you.
mine said as anal as you are with your teeth, you should go every 3 months. So since I pay $100 a year for 2 cleanings/xrays with half off everything else, but a cleaning there still costs $90 outside of that membership, I supplement my cleanings at dental schools which cost between 15 and 35 bucks!

carrieann

#4 Post by carrieann »

Every 3 months.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

angelina

#5 Post by angelina »

I have a checkup with the dentist every 6 months and a clean with the hygienist every 4 months. I always feel much better after a thorough clean.

I'm another who flosses nightly and brushes after every meal but still find they're getting a bit gross by the 4 month mark. The hygienist is happy with me though.

Felina Grimm

#6 Post by Felina Grimm »

Every 6 months. I can't afford to cleanings more often than that. They're expensive.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Ziggy

#7 Post by Ziggy »

I recently went to the dentist after having my braces for 6 months. They said I didn't look any different than before I got braces so I'll go back in 6 months knowing I can always go sooner. It may have to do with the fact I'm using an electric toothbrush and a Waterpik.

kattiar

#8 Post by kattiar »

I plan to go every six months, per usual. In fact I just had my first cleaning today after having my braces on for five months. Everything was absolutely fine :)

littlething

#9 Post by littlething »

My ortho strongly recommended every 3 months, and I finally caved because it felt IMPOSSIBLE to keep my teeth clean. After some rescheduling, it ended up at the 5 month mark anyway. The hygienist was really pleased with my hygiene and said everything looked great, so I guess I will stick with 6 months after all.

hayleyeh

#10 Post by hayleyeh »

I go for cleanings every 6 months.

RachF

#11 Post by RachF »

I am booked in for a clean and have been braced for 6 months. One corner of my mouth has a disgusting plaque build up, it's really gross. I have no idea why just that one side!

mrscetrone

#12 Post by mrscetrone »

Every four months. I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay the deductible that comes with cleaning quarterly and it makes all the difference in the world.

Tiff2185

#13 Post by Tiff2185 »

I just got my braces put on 7 weeks ago and I plan on going every 3 months. So afraid of the white squares

autumnpath

#14 Post by autumnpath »

My ortho said every 6 months but I think I'm going to go more often. I'm super paranoid about my teeth.

testimony777

#15 Post by testimony777 »

My hygienist said I could keep my normal schedule of every 6 mos. At my last cleaning everything looker good; I had no buildup. She actually told me I could probably floss less :shock: I won't be doing that.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear