Ceramic vs Metal braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldperson

Ceramic vs Metal braces

#1 Post by oldperson »

The title explains very clearly, I have a choice between metal (silver) or Ceramic braces

Aside from the obvious pros/cons (metal is generally more durable but also more visible, and ceramic takes longer and can stain etc) is there anything else that I should know before deciding which type i should get

Thanks for any help

angelina

Re: Ceramic vs Metal braces

#2 Post by angelina »

I have ceramic self litigating and the ceramic brackets themselves don't stain. From time to time I will have a clear power chain put on which can stain with turmeric and look slightly yellow but, for me, I was to be bridesmaid and needed photos taken during my braces sentence and they barely show in the photos so it was completely worth it.

I'm also looking to complete treatment well before my estimate, even with ceramics so I think our individual genes and compliance with things like keeping teeth and gums clean, elastics and following the orthodontists instructions probably has more of an effect than whether the brackets are metal or ceramic.

The only thing so far that has been more of a hassle with ceramics is when I had to have a few brackets taken off and replaced - the ceramics are more difficult to remove. The metals just pop off easily while the ceramics need a good pull and a grinding tool to remove the glue.

verso

#3 Post by verso »

Just my two cents, but if you can get the ceramic self-ligating... go for it! If they only offer the ceramic that requires the clear elastic ligatures, go for metal instead. Those ligatures stain rather quickly. If you like food with color and flavor (Thai, Indian, sauces and ketchup and mustard...) your teeth will look green/yellow due to the staining. Grosssss. The self-ligating don't have that problem.

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The biggest medical consideration is that biting against a ceramic bracket is more likely to cause tooth wear or chip the opposing tooth.

One other consideration is that often the ceramic braces are bigger than the metal braces and the wings of the bracket can be a bit more sharp. From a comfort standpoint, the metal braces are likely more comfortable.

Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

hayleyeh

#5 Post by hayleyeh »

I am an adult who opted for the metal braces route.

Honestly, the whole "but people will know they're there" thing was my main concern but I've come to realize people don't care. They aren't bulky and too bothersome.

If you want to save the extta money, get metal!

oldperson

#6 Post by oldperson »

Thanks so much, my orthodontist doesn't do self litigating, and as i like coffee, mustard etc im fairly sure the litigatures would stain very quick, i guess metal it is

NeilH

#7 Post by NeilH »

hayleyeh wrote:I am an adult who opted for the metal braces route.

Honestly, the whole "but people will know they're there" thing was my main concern but I've come to realize people don't care. They aren't bulky and too bothersome.

If you want to save the extta money, get metal!
Well said and quite agree! I certainly never regretted my choice and for lots of very good reasons, metal brackets do offer some great advantages.

Ziggy

#8 Post by Ziggy »

My ortho recommended the self-ligating, ceramic brackets for the top and metal for the bottom. I've now been in them 6 months and so far no staining, but looking back going for metal wouldn't have made any difference. Seriously, nobody cares.

starokada

#9 Post by starokada »

I have ceramic on top and my ortho recommended pearl ligatures over the clear ones. Never had an issue with them getting discolored but right before an adjustment.. I eat all the food with color I want.. since they are getting changed out anyways.

Jupiterxo

#10 Post by Jupiterxo »

I have Damon brackets and my top eight teeth are ceramic. Personally I love them! They're a bit bigger than the metal brackets but I do definitely think that they look nice and I would hands down get them again if I had to do it all over.

testimony777

#11 Post by testimony777 »

I have ceramics on the top and bottom and am really happy with that choice, especially now that most of my major issues have been corrected. One huge advantage of ceramic brackets is the fact that they allow me to better envision what my teeth will look like once my braces are off. In pictures, and even in the mirror if I am standing back a bit, the brackets are barely noticeable (if at all) so all I see are my teeth. That has been a welcomed sight now that my teeth look so much better. Staining has not been a problem for me since I started getting the smoked colored ligatures. I regularly eat red sauces and drink green and oolong teas, the smoke colored elastics hold up very well. The ceramic brackets have also not slowed my progress at all. I am five months in and already all my gaps and my open bite are closed.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

megz0501

#12 Post by megz0501 »

When I got my braces put on, I could do top and bottom metal brackets or top clear ceramic and bottom metal. So i chose the top ceramic and bottom metal. No one can see much of your bottom teeth anyway. I almost always get the light silver ligs on top so that your teeth and brackets look whiter. The pearl color stained too bad for me. I'm 28 so the clear on top seemed like a great option

carrieann

#13 Post by carrieann »

[quote="DrJasonKTam"]The biggest medical consideration is that biting against a ceramic bracket is more likely to cause tooth wear or chip the opposing tooth.

One other consideration is that often the ceramic braces are bigger than the metal braces and the wings of the bracket can be a bit more sharp. From a comfort standpoint, the metal braces are likely more comfortable.

Hope that helps![/quote

Dr Tam, can you elaborate on what biting against a ceramic bracket means? Is this grinding teeth or while eating? Thanks!

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

Tyrantblade

#14 Post by Tyrantblade »

carrieann wrote:
DrJasonKTam wrote:The biggest medical consideration is that biting against a ceramic bracket is more likely to cause tooth wear or chip the opposing tooth.

Hope that helps![/quote

Dr Tam, can you elaborate on what biting against a ceramic bracket means? Is this grinding teeth or while eating? Thanks!
probably while eating if part of a tooth that isnt supposed to touch a ceramic bracket were to touch it.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

tartanhabit

#15 Post by tartanhabit »

Ask your orthodontist if there is any expected difference in terms of results. I chose self ligating clear brackets for top and metal bottoms. I am about to change ortho and will be switching to all metal traditional. A number of orthos I have consulted with second time round have told me they no longer use self ligating braces (tried them and discontinued) because they don't give the control/torque for certain cases. Turns out I am one of those cases. I was so happy with the look of clear self ligating brackets but they do not seem to be doing some elements of the job and I've just had this very conversation with a number of orthos the most recent of which recommended metal as being the best chance to achieve the results.

It's very individual but make sure you ask about function if that's important to you as well as the aesthetic considerations.