Nickel allergy and want invisible braces... CONFUSED

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

verso

Re: Nickel allergy and want invisible braces... CONFUSED

#16 Post by verso »

Shelleyt wrote:but anyone who says the ceramic aren't noticeable and that they don't notice when someone has braces is full of it.
If you talk to someone for long enough, and that person really concentrates on your mouth, then yeah, they'll eventually notice them.

I don't think the point is to have people not notice the ceramic braces *at all* but rather I think the point is for them to be *less* noticeable, and I would say that the ceramics fulfill that criteria nicely.

DrJasonKTam

#17 Post by DrJasonKTam »

For what it is worth, most people who claim to have a nickel allergy in our practice have not actually had an allergy. Often it is from non-medical grade jewellery. That being said, it is not worth going through the risk. The best thing to do is visit and allergist to get a definitive test.

One note of caution is that it is not easy to coordinate the arches when using Invisalign on one and braces on the bottom. I wonder if there is an option for you to use Invisalign for both arches and then touch things up with braces for a shorter amount of time near the end of treatment if it is needed. The other thing to consider is finding an orthodontist who is experienced with Invisalign so that it might be possible to complete your entire treatment with aligners only.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good while getting on your way to a beautiful smile. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

bbsadmin

#18 Post by bbsadmin »

MissLou wrote:Good points. It's quite difficult to find orthos here who do nickel-free braces :(
Orthos order their supplies from various suppliers. There's no reason why an Ortho in your area can't order nickel-free brackets for you. They have been around for a long time and are readily available from a number of suppliers.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

verso

#19 Post by verso »

DrJasonKTam wrote:That being said, it is not worth going through the risk. The best thing to do is visit and allergist to get a definitive test.
I was thinking of that. I know that doctors can do an allergy screening and even an entire panel to test for common food and animal allergies, but I wasn't sure if they could test for a nickel allergy in such a way. It would -- or at least *should* -- be less-expensive than the £300 test bracket, and it would be a fairly definitive test I'd imagine.

If it were me, I'd probably explore that option first.

bbsadmin

#20 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, I agree.
verso wrote:
DrJasonKTam wrote:That being said, it is not worth going through the risk. The best thing to do is visit and allergist to get a definitive test.
I was thinking of that. I know that doctors can do an allergy screening and even an entire panel to test for common food and animal allergies, but I wasn't sure if they could test for a nickel allergy in such a way. It would -- or at least *should* -- be less-expensive than the £300 test bracket, and it would be a fairly definitive test I'd imagine.

If it were me, I'd probably explore that option first.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Tyrantblade

#21 Post by Tyrantblade »

Shelleyt wrote:MissLou- I may have a different perspective here than most, since I too opted for linguals instead of ceramic, but don't let anyone tell you you are ridiculous for caring about your appearance/confidence for 2+ years. I wanted treatment for the outcome, but I'm in my late 20s and it was important to me that the treatment be invisible. If that's important to you too and you're willing/able to pay for it, then go for it! If you've decided to do the lingual but are worried about the allergy, I would go with the "test" option since it won't work out to be any more $$ if you are able to continue your treatment with that ortho! Best of luck with that- I really hope the allergy doesn't affect your treatment!

Just my 2 cents! I am always impressed people have the confidence to do two years with full visible braces and I never think there is a thing wrong with adults taking care of themselves and getting visible braces (heck I always get jealous of them for being so brave and confident!) but anyone who says the ceramic aren't noticeable and that they don't notice when someone has braces is full of it.

Last thing I would bring up is maybe try to find an ortho who will do linguals with the incognito brand? I could be wrong but I think those brackets are gold. I just got Harmony which are traditional metal.
Idk about others, but for me its more about not caring what people have to say (if its something mean; if its nice than i will like it) or what they think than having confidence.

This being said, whether or not people notice most don't say anything; either they really dont care, or maybe they think you don't want to talk about it or would feel bad if you knew they noticed.

Either way, most people say nothing and i have not had anybody be rude or mean about it, and i think thats the biggest thing to realize here; your chances of people saying anything are pretty slim, your chances of people being mean, even more unlikely.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

jaime

#22 Post by jaime »

I know this won't be all that helpful but I am very sensitive to nickel and I've had no problems with my traditional metal brackets. Everybody is different but I just wanted to offer up my experience!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

verso

#23 Post by verso »

Again, I'll have to agree with my mans Tyrant. No one has ever said anything mean or rude to me regarding my braces -- a ton of other mean and rude things but never anything about my braces. I just don't think people care. It would be like seeing someone in a cast. Only the most vain and superficial person in the world would think, "look at that guy trying to fix his broken arm! does he think he's a teenager or something?" And really, do you even care what that person thinks? You'd better not!

MissLou

#24 Post by MissLou »

[quote="DrJasonKTam"]For what it is worth, most people who claim to have a nickel allergy in our practice have not actually had an allergy. Often it is from non-medical grade jewellery. That being said, it is not worth going through the risk. The best thing to do is visit and allergist to get a definitive test.
[/quote]

I think that's similar to what my GP said - something along the lines of it not being a 'true' allergy but contact dermatitis to a known irritant. Also I *know* my skin reacts to nickel but I've been told that it's unlikely to be the same in the mouth - maybe because of the 'medical grade' materials used in orthodontics?

MissLou

#25 Post by MissLou »

[quote="bbsadmin"]Yes, I agree.

[quote="verso"][quote="DrJasonKTam"]That being said, it is not worth going through the risk. The best thing to do is visit and allergist to get a definitive test.[/quote]

If it were me, I'd probably explore that option first.[/quote][/quote]

I don't think something that's offered on the NHS. I don't think whether I'm sensitive to nickel needs to be tested to be honest. It's more whether the composition of the materials in this bracket would trigger a reaction in my mouth. For example, if I put clear nail polish on nickel jewellery then I can wear it no problems as it's a barrier between my skin and the nickel. May be the same with the bracket if it's coated in non-nickel material and/or my mouth may not react in the same way? Which I guess I won't know unless I pay out for the bracket. Gah. Thanks for the advice. I think I have seen too many orthos and confused myself with the options now! :?

Braces47

#26 Post by Braces47 »

I'll add my 2 cents as well. I was just braced with ceramic on top and bottom and people have told me they can't really see my braces. Also, I told a colleague last week about my braces and was very surprised to find out she's had ceramic top braces since January. I've spoken to her on many occasions since January and had no idea she had braces.

Also, having been diagnosed with a food allergy as an adult, I personally, would not risk a potential allergic reaction.

Beckett

#27 Post by Beckett »

Just putting this out there as something to think about. Chances are the nickel you react to in cheap jewelry is probably a much cheaper quality, and mixed with other cheaper base metals, than orthodontic brackets. Not saying you won't react, and whether it's an irritant or true allergy doesn't matter, you react. But it's just something to consider. I would assume, again I don't know, that the metal content in medical grade orthodontic appliances is much higher quality than fashion jewelry.

But when all is said and done, I'd go for ceramic brackets with those cool wires that aren't silver either. I have no idea what they're called but I know they exist. I have ceramic with traditional wires, and while they aren't totally invisible, they're more unobtrusive than metal. And no one says a word, unless they want to ask me intelligent questions about my treatment. I can count on less than one hand friends who have even said "oh hey, you got braces". They notice, sure. But other adults generally don't say anything.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

MissLou

#28 Post by MissLou »

Braces47 wrote:I'll add my 2 cents as well. I was just braced with ceramic on top and bottom and people have told me they can't really see my braces. Also, I told a colleague last week about my braces and was very surprised to find out she's had ceramic top braces since January. I've spoken to her on many occasions since January and had no idea she had braces.

Also, having been diagnosed with a food allergy as an adult, I personally, would not risk a potential allergic reaction.
That's amazing that your braces are so subtle :) What ceramic braces do you have? I think I'd go for Damon clear if I end up doing the ceramics.

MissLou

#29 Post by MissLou »

Beckett wrote:Just putting this out there as something to think about. Chances are the nickel you react to in cheap jewelry is probably a much cheaper quality, and mixed with other cheaper base metals, than orthodontic brackets. Not saying you won't react, and whether it's an irritant or true allergy doesn't matter, you react. But it's just something to consider. I would assume, again I don't know, that the metal content in medical grade orthodontic appliances is much higher quality than fashion jewelry.

But when all is said and done, I'd go for ceramic brackets with those cool wires that aren't silver either. I have no idea what they're called but I know they exist. I have ceramic with traditional wires, and while they aren't totally invisible, they're more unobtrusive than metal. And no one says a word, unless they want to ask me intelligent questions about my treatment. I can count on less than one hand friends who have even said "oh hey, you got braces". They notice, sure. But other adults generally don't say anything.
Three orthodontists (offline) have told me that people don't usually react to the nickel appliances even if their skin reacts to cheap jewellery. I think I'm just going to test out the lingual bracket and hope for the best. I expect the worst case scenario is a few hundred pounds down the drain & a sore mouth! Wish me luck!

verso

#30 Post by verso »

^ Good luck! :thumbsup: