Any Words of Wisdom Prior to Getting Braces?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braces47

Any Words of Wisdom Prior to Getting Braces?

#1 Post by Braces47 »

I'm new to the board and will be getting braces at 47. As a preteen I wanted braces SO MUCH but didn't need them. I guess I should have been careful what I wish for since I now need them to fix my bite, which was discovered after a failed implant. I will be getting my spacers put in next week and braces on the following week. Any recommendations/suggestions to prepare me for this adventure?

oldfart

Re: Any Words of Wisdom Prior to Getting Braces?

#2 Post by oldfart »

1) Be sure you are going to a licensed orthodontist, and not a dentist.
2) Have a written treatment planned that you will review before you start.
3) Determine how questions during treatment will be handled, will they accept emails?
4) Understand the breakage policy. Will you have to pay extra if things break?

As for wearing them, go in with a sense of humor, you will look like a dork at first. (Mine were on at age 47, off at 49 so speaking from experience). But have fun with them, smile if you can for pics, get colors. If you don't have a sense of humor, you will go insane.

Take lots of pics for yourself, often it doesn't appear that anything is moving unless you compare yourself with pics from a month ago.

And finally,

GET THE ENDS OF YOUR WIRES CLIPPED AFTER EVERY APPT. Feel with your finger, feel with your tongue. You feel anything, ask for them to clip them. It sucks having to schedule another apt a week after you go in just to clip them.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

littlething

#3 Post by littlething »

If you don't have a sense of humor, you will go insane.
THIS. I poke fun of myself all the time, makes me feel less awkward.
Eating is a challenge, and you will have stuff stuck in your teeth ALL THE TIME. Just laugh it off.
They feel really awkward at first (actually, they still do sometimes, 4 1/2 months later), and you might have trouble pronouncing words. I just laugh at myself for that, too.
Take lots of pics for yourself, often it doesn't appear that anything is moving unless you compare yourself with pics from a month ago.
This too. It's easy to get discouraged sometimes, and having pics and seeing your teeth moving will make you more motivated. Just know that it does take time, and you have to be patient.

The first few weeks will be hard. Just know that IT DOES GET BETTER. You keep hearing that over and over here, and you won't quite believe it. But it does. I swear.

You will feel like a dork, and you'll be convinced that EVERYONE is staring at your mouth. But no one cares. Really! People barely notice.

Good luck :)

Tinchi7

#4 Post by Tinchi7 »

Eat all the peanuts, apples, and steaks that you want right now. That's what I'm doing before I get mine soon :)

Braces47

#5 Post by Braces47 »

Thank you for all your responses. Good think I have a good sense of humor; sounds like I'm going to need it for the next 18 months.

Braces47

#6 Post by Braces47 »

Thank you for all your responses. Good thing I have a good sense of humor; sounds like I'm going to need it for the next 18 months.[/quote]

Braces47

#7 Post by Braces47 »

Thank you for all your responses. Good thing I have a good sense of humor; sounds like I'm going to need it for the next 18 months.

2XRound

#8 Post by 2XRound »

Eat up before the spacers go in. The afternoon after the spacers go in marked the end of eating normally for me. :cry:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

18 months? That's only what they want you to think... <evil laugh>

Braces47

#10 Post by Braces47 »

Thanks oldfart. I'll remember your evil laugh when they tell me it's going to be longer than 18 months. I'm hoping to prove you wrong though....

oldfart

#11 Post by oldfart »

They won't tell you :) They will just keep saying "Just one more month".. for the final 8 months of your treatment.

Braces47

#12 Post by Braces47 »

Due to my job, I've decided to go with ceramic braces. I've been reading a lot about the ligatures staining. Any recommendation on the color ligatures to have put on and/or foods and drinks to avoid?

Sunnygirl807

#13 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

[quote="Braces47"]Due to my job, I've decided to go with ceramic braces. I've been reading a lot about the ligatures staining. Any recommendation on the color ligatures to have put on and/or foods and drinks to avoid?[/quote]

I have been researching ceramics well. Some have recommended smoke or pearl. I am scheduled for Tuesday and will ask before I get banded.

Beckett

#14 Post by Beckett »

Smoke and silver are good for being less wild and non staining. I had smoke two adjustments in a row and really liked them. This last time my 10 year old talked me into blue and silver (Ravenclaw) while he went with red and gold (Gryffindor). It's kind of fun.
Don't get clear or white, I hear those are the worst for staining. Curry seems to be the biggest culprit for most people.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

LisainTX

#15 Post by LisainTX »

All of the above I agree with. But I must add-
Be kind to yourself. If you feel down come here and read/ask questions. This place has kept me sane.

If you can afford to get an electronic toothbrush (I like my Sonicare but there are other good ones) and a water pick. I think the water pic is one of the best things I've invested in during my lifetime. Wish I'd have gotten one years ago!

Aside of those- get some wax, some little brushes that look like Christmas trees and I have also found some little white plastic toothpick things at Walmart that look like they have a fish skeleton at one end. Keep these things with you at all times.

It honestly gets better as time goes on!! Make a little ticker counter too! It is exciting to see the progress on them.