Scared

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ineedaname36

Scared

#1 Post by Ineedaname36 »

Im 36 and have always needed braces. My parents never took me too an orthodontist. When I would mention my crooked teeth to her she would tell me "push them in"... No sesame... And I actually did that and still do at times like a habit from time to time. I finally got enough courage to go to an orthodontist and almost broke into tears when the (very kind) orthodontist told me He would advice braces for 2 years. He didnt feel invisalign was a good option. I remember hearing " class II maloclussion division 1 with a cross bite on one side and crowding. He also reccomends 2 extractions. So freaked out and embarrassed. Why didnt I just do this sooner?? I cant stand the thought of going into work with a mouth full of metal. I know everyone on this board is an adult with braces but I just need some kind of support. I am a very self concious person. I could barely make eye contact wirh my orthodontist out of pure Embarrassment. But the thought of actually having a nice smile is somewhat encouraging. My husband cringed when I first me tioned I wanted to get braces. I imagine thats the face I will see for at least 2 years when I get them.

Ineedaname36

Re: Scared

#2 Post by Ineedaname36 »

I went to another orthodontist who said maybe we can do a carrier distalizer for 9months to create space the. Invisalign. I wonder of this would really work. So opposite of what the other ortho suggested. So now I have another orthodontist consult. I would love to be able to do invisalign but I somehow wonder if my case is too severe.

DrJasonKTam

#3 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Whether Invisalign "works" for you is going to depend on how your teeth start off and how much experience your orthodontist has with using Invisalign. Unfortunately, there is a very large discrepancy in experience and skill of "certified Invisalign providers". Therefore, it is entirely possible that a doctor can help you achieve your goals with Invisalign, depending on their comfort level.

You'll find a lot of information about choosing a doctor for Invisalign here:

http://torontobraces.ca/choosingadoctor/
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

kbracedm

#4 Post by kbracedm »

That's only one persons opinion and it's always best to shop around before you decide on an ortho and a treatment plan since it's a huge $ and time commitment. I know your concern, all my life I heard I would need braces since Invisalign wasn't an option I just never had the $. I went to a dentist recently who asked if I was interested in Invisalign and I told her I thought I was never a candidate. She said not true. I then got a second opinion from an orthodontist who confirmed it could be done! The rest is history.

Fingers crossed it works for you. Worse case scenario if you do decide to do metal, there are some really good options that make them less than obvious.

Ineedaname36

#5 Post by Ineedaname36 »

Thank you. I have 2 more consultations. Im trying to do my homework before the appointments so I know what to ask but also prepare for there suggestion . Appreciate the feedback. Hopefully I can get invialign but I will do what I have to do anyway.

Koorb

#6 Post by Koorb »

My doctor recommended invisalign after a relapse with metal braces.. And honestly I have so many attachments it's not invisible. So instead of people just looking at me and thinking "oh they have braces" they look at me and say "what's on your teeth?". If I had the option I would rather do braces again but my ortho thinks invisalign will work better for long term stability so here I am with it. Braces aren't that bad at all and you easily get used to the new normal. Plus you don't have to remove them to eat. Either way, Good luck! It's worth it to have a confident smile.

Ineedaname36

#7 Post by Ineedaname36 »

Yes Iv seen the pics of the attachments. Seems annoying removing trays before every meal. Prob good for weight loss though lol
Thank you for the feedback.

iriecruiser

#8 Post by iriecruiser »

I have what may be a silly question...
I had Invisalign Express about 6 years ago. It was a great improvement for a minor problem and I've been happy with my bonded retainers since then. Recently, I've been thinking about doing another round for 2 rotated teeth (lateral incisors). Since all the dentist/orthodontist really has to do is take the impressions and send them away for the trays, how does it matter how much experience they have? It seems like a paint-by-numbers approach with the Invisalign folks (computers, etc) doing all of the work. I could be looking at this totally wrong, but it just seems as though there's really not much they have to do.