Braces on!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loridee76

Braces on!

#1 Post by loridee76 »

So it's been a day and a half and my main meal yesterday was mashed potatoes. Today I had a smoothie for breakfast and refried beans for dinner. Lol
I am leery of eating more solid food just yet. Plus I know I have to get the food off my brackets and teeth.
I will more comfortable with that eventually.

Can't imagine the difference in meals once I get my lowers brackets.
I will get my lower brackets in 7 weeks.

It's crazy but my bite has changed. I can tell a change on one side at the upper molars. Just a mild change. Do they really start moving so fast?

If I had a dollar for every time someone I know says I didn't need braces. Granted my teeth don't look very bad with a glance. However my crowding sucks and I have overlapping teeth. Oh well I am paying for them, not them.
Now, I just say well .. I did, and change the subject.

Wax is my friend just on 2 spots so far.

Brushing my teeth is a learning adventure.
I made a mistake and didn't check the setting on my waterpik.. and it cut my gums. Brushing and flossing isn't too bad. The "Christmas tree" is awesome.
Now I just have to make myself get out of bed even earlier to spend the time I want to, on keeping them clean. It will take longer when I get the lower brackets on.

All in all, I am not self conscience of them. I was more so without the braces. My
ligatures are teal.. but ended up looking green after put on. My scrubs are green for work, so they match.
I am thinking neon pink for my next color. Lol

Overall I am excited to think about having straight teeth and no crowding in the end.

SpeedyAwesome

Re: Braces on!

#2 Post by SpeedyAwesome »

Honestly, I wouldn't get the colors. They add bacteria and that can cause the gum disease gingivitis. I went into harder foods slowly. The first day was soup. The second day was Mac & Cheese. The third day was Pot Pie. By the fourth or fifth day, you should be able to eat a wide variety of foods. As long as you follow the maintenance instructions, you will have nice teeth in the end.

verso

#3 Post by verso »

^ Colored ligatures "add" bacteria? Is that true? Why would they even bother to offer them then?

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

SpeedyAwesome wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't get the colors. They add bacteria and that can cause the gum disease gingivitis..
What evidence do you have to support this claim?
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

SpeedyAwesome

#5 Post by SpeedyAwesome »

[quote="djspeece"][quote="SpeedyAwesome"]Honestly, I wouldn't get the colors. They add bacteria and that can cause the gum disease gingivitis..[/quote]
What evidence do you have to support this claim?[/quote]

My orthodontist (Who's like 50) told me.

verso

#6 Post by verso »

I find that extremely hard to believe, but ok...

RachF

#7 Post by RachF »

I have a different colour each time, it's one of the very few perks. I highly doubt they add bacteria!

SpeedyAwesome

#8 Post by SpeedyAwesome »

I'd just ask your orthodontist about it. I wanted to get the colors, but my orthodontist doesn't give them out anymore for the reason I told you.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

SpeedyAwesome wrote:I'd just ask your orthodontist about it. I wanted to get the colors, but my orthodontist doesn't give them out anymore for the reason I told you.
I suspect they be more expensive than the standard issue and that may have more to do with his decision.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying