Anyone else regret their ceramics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

verso

Anyone else regret their ceramics?

#1 Post by verso »

They're impossible to keep from getting stained -- the clear ligatures, that is. I've avoided almost every food that stains -- and there's a lot of them to avoid (coffee, curry, mustard, ketchup, wine, basically anything with color) -- and I've only had my braces a week now.

They're yellow. I mean YEL-LOW. Like, neon almost. It's unbelievable. And I've been brushing my teeth religiously after eating every time (~4 times a day).

And they just make my teeth look yellow. Granted, my teeth weren't all that white to begin with, but they look way more yellow than they actually are.

Overall, not a big deal as I'll just have them put a solid color ligature on (any suggestions?) but it sort of defeats the purpose of ceramic/clear braces. Not that I payed any more for the ceramic braces than the metal, but it still kind of sucks.

Anyone else? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Beckett

Re: Anyone else regret their ceramics?

#2 Post by Beckett »

Totally don't regret mine, top and bottom. As for staining ligs, go for smoke or silver. The smoke are hardly visible at all, despite looking very grey before going on. You already have a silver wire, so it's not like ceramic brackets will be invisible, just less obvious. :wink: I haven't had any staining, but I'm also not a coffee, tea, or wine drinker. I do eat spaghetti though, but even the tomatoe sauce doesn't affect it.

I had smoke ligs for two adjustments, but this time got funky with my kid and we went for houses from Harry Potter. So he's got red and gold, and I've got blue and silver. It's fun, and really, no one cares what they look like but you. Go for fun.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

verso

#3 Post by verso »

^ Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to see if they can squeeze me in Monday and put on the smoke or silver. These ligs right now are like tennis ball yellow-green... *sigh*

kattiar

#4 Post by kattiar »

I had a similar issue to begin with. I switched to smoke and haven't had an issue since.
Goodluck with the lig change. Your ortho may have suggestions on which shade will suit you best.

verso

#5 Post by verso »

Yeah smoke is probably the way to go. I'll see what my ortho has to say. I was going to try and hold out until my next appointment, but that's at the end of September. I can't wait that long.

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

I think I'd want to get rid of stained neon green as quickly as possible too! Do you have any idea what food is responsible for the staining? I hear curry is notorious.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

verso

#7 Post by verso »

I believe I *did* have mustard at one point and that probably didn't help, but the ligs were already turning pret-ty yellow all on their own before the mustard. I've given up coffee, curry, red wine... all my favorite foods basically.

pantlover

#8 Post by pantlover »

if it makes you regret ceramics a little bit less, my silver ligs turned that gross neon green/yellow after eating curry as well... and i have traditional metal braces.

MissV

#9 Post by MissV »

My only regret is they are too big for my teeth...a/k/a on the bottom row the ceramics are almost the same size of the teeth which makes it look like I have 4-D teeth LOL! :shock: :lol:

27braces88

#10 Post by 27braces88 »

Yeah I agree with MIssV. The ceramic are fine on top but on my bottom teeth they are huge. I wish I'd asked for metal on the bottom. The metal are much smoother too, I think my bottom lip would have been happier with metal.

verso

#11 Post by verso »

Yeah the ceramic are pretty big and scratchy. Lol

I'm going to see my ortho tomorrow morning to have them switch out the ligs. I'll see what they suggest but if "smoke colored" ligs are an option, I'll probably go with that.

verso

#12 Post by verso »

So I was able to see my orthodontist this morning. Well, it was his assistant who saw me, and she switched the ligs out for silver ones. (I guess they don't have "smoke colored" or something?)

They *did* have two different clears though. They had the traditional clear that they put on originally and then a "pearl" clear that was a little more opaque but still slightly see-through. Almost went with the pearl and I may try it next time.

At this point, I'm happy with anything that isn't yellow/neon. So the silver ligs, while they may not be super incognito, are fine by me!

Interestingly enough, the assistant asked me what toothpaste I used and I said non-whitening Colgate. She recommended that I use the whitening, which was interesting because the OTHER assistant recommended that I don't. This assistant told me she had used whitening toothpaste all throughout her treatment and it wasn't an issue (her teeth look great). She said something about how it only really removes surface-stains and it's not truly "whitening."

Not sure who to believe but I'm thinking I'll split it 50-50 until I catch my orthodontist's ear and ask him myself.

lmk

#13 Post by lmk »

I used whitening toothpaste but not every time I brushed. I had really white teeth before starting treatment so I figured it wasn't going to cause any problems. I did find it helped slightly with the staining. The one thing I figured out that stained the ligs the worse was soy sauce. Neon green was the result!

Sunnygirl807

#14 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

I am getting braces on Friday. I was considering ceramics, but I don't know about the staining. Are the ligatures the archwire or the actual brackets that are staining?

Johnnyboy

#15 Post by Johnnyboy »

I'm having my Damon top ceramic brackets replaced to metal ones on the 26th. Can't wait really don't like the ceramic ones as there to big and uncomfortable.