Braced yesterday, anyone else's first archwire look as crazy as this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ToniMaree

Braced yesterday, anyone else's first archwire look as crazy as this?

#1 Post by ToniMaree »

Title explains it all.
Underwent sarpe surgery in march. Braces on yesterday.
Feeling pretty emotional because it looks so terrible but I do know that this is the only way it will ever improve :(
So anyone else have a crazy first wire?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

metalliKa

Re: Braced yesterday, anyone else's first archwire look as crazy as this?

#2 Post by metalliKa »

Don't worry about your braces being terrible! We all had to start with being terrible! Just enjoy the ride and know your terribleness won't be so terrible in the next few months and years to come!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

cdmoses6

#3 Post by cdmoses6 »

I definitely know how you feel! Mine wasn't as crazy as yours, but it's always a shock to see the craziness of the very first wire. It's like the wire really accentuates how out-of-whack everything is. But don't focus on that! You are seriously going to look like a whole new person once everything starts falling into place. You have taken the first necessary step to get that rock star smile :rawk: :-* You are going to absolutely love the result, so just focus on that!!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

ditsy

#4 Post by ditsy »

When I first had my brace on I always considered my teeth to be relatively straight...then once it was on I couldn't believe how crooked my teeth actually were! I didn't initially get a brace for that reason, mine was for a impacted canine. Yours will look fab, keep taking plenty of pictures, you'll be amazed by how fast it will all move xx

ToniMaree

#5 Post by ToniMaree »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I appreciate it. My husband has naturally beautiful straight teeth and I am so jealous right now ! I will definitely have to think long term!

Tyrantblade

#6 Post by Tyrantblade »

I think just about everybody starts with their teeth looking crazy, and an Archwire to match, we just all have different issues and different Cases.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Lilstinker1

#7 Post by Lilstinker1 »

This is a big fear of mine at the moment. I still have 3 weeks to have my braces on, so I will have to wait to see.

Just think, when you have nice straight teeth at the end of treatment your before/after will be even more amazing to look at!

EWUgal15

#8 Post by EWUgal15 »

This is probably just me, but I think that the super crazy wires will show the most changes as things move. Plus, we end up being our own worse enemies when it comes to looking at that stuff. I've had my braces off for a week and a total of 4 people I work with have noticed. And it took 3 of those people almost the full week to realize it.

jaime

#9 Post by jaime »

Wow, by your next adjustment, you are going to see some amazing changes! I hope you post progress pics! I live for this stuff now that I've been braced 26+ months. :lol: :mrgreen:
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

verso

#10 Post by verso »

I remember getting braces for the first time (at 14) and the wire looking ridiculous. Now, at 28, having been newly-braced for the second time just 6 days ago, the wire is a little less severe but still shockingly bad considering I assumed only 3 teeth were out of whack. Can't wait to see what the ol' chompers are going to look like when it's all over

pantlover

#11 Post by pantlover »

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Your teeth no doubt will look absolutely amazing once you're all finished. As other posters have said, please do post progress pics! Be proud that you are making a positive change for yourself!

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

EWUgal15 wrote:This is probably just me, but I think that the super crazy wires will show the most changes as things move. Plus, we end up being our own worse enemies when it comes to looking at that stuff. I've had my braces off for a week and a total of 4 people I work with have noticed. And it took 3 of those people almost the full week to realize it.
I agree with EWUgal. I think your changes will be dramatic which will really be encouraging for you. And like EWUgal mentioned, people won't notice when they are gone, which is just a sad sad commentary on why people are not paying enough attention to me :wink: .
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

ToniMaree

#13 Post by ToniMaree »

Thank you everyone who replies :D it was nice to read your replies when I was feeling so down. Here is an updated pic, only 12 days and I can definitely see a change!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

verso

#14 Post by verso »

Whoa! That incisor is cruisin' ! Twelve days, huh? I'm jealous! It's been 16 days here and I've seen no appreciable difference, but to be fair -- and I mean no offense -- my teeth won't require as much movement as this is my second time in braces and my starting point is a little better.

Anyway, you're on your way! I think you'll start to see it all coming together rather quickly.

ToniMaree

#15 Post by ToniMaree »

Thanks so much verso.

That incisor is the one that has annoyed me ever since I can remember, it has always been hidden and finally is coming out so quick.

The bottom has no where near the progress (but it's not the bottom teeth that look so awful lol). I had sarpe surgery (why I look like a crazy ogre) and everything on top has moved around so much hence why it must be moving faster now that they have some guidance haha :)