New braces at 39... a lot of concerns...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mdkr22

New braces at 39... a lot of concerns...

#1 Post by mdkr22 »

Hello! I'm very thankful that I found this site. I read some of the stories before getting braces and was encouraged by all the positive comments, which certainly helped give me the confidence to keep my initial ortho appointment. I had been lurking, but I registered today because I find myself in need of community.

I'm 39 years old and I've had my braces for about 24 hours. I had braces as a teenager, but my teeth slipped dramatically so I'm starting round 2. I agonized over the decision for about two months, considering Invisalign but ultimately deciding against it because of the increased cost. (I have ceramic on top / metal on bottom.) Plus,I told myself I have a lot of self confidence and I'd be able to wear the braces with pride.

Now that I've had them on for a day, however, I'm really starting to question this decision. They HURT and I feel like the braces are now the only part of me that people will see. They look and feel huge, and I'm terrified about going back to work. Honestly, I'm getting closer to calling up the orthodontist and asking him to remove them. My husband says they aren't that noticeable and that I should wear them with pride because it means I'm taking care of my health. I really am trying to feel that way, and I'm wondering where my self confidence went.

I apologize for the negative post. I was hoping to be more excited that I am finally taking care of the crooked teeth that have plagued me for years. I'm here because I'm hoping for some encouragement from the "been there / done that" crowd. Will this get better? Did anybody else have these doubts on day 2? Will the braces always consume my thoughts, or will I be able to live normally at some point?

Thank you in advance for any encouragement. This seems like a very supportive community, so it seemed like the place to turn.

Beckett

Re: New braces at 39... a lot of concerns...

#2 Post by Beckett »

I had doubts the second the ortho took the plastic thingies out of my cheeks and my lips and tongue felt all the little sharp Lego studs all over my teeth for the first time. They felt huge! I couldn't bite down! Oh my gosh what have I done! I asked for this?!

It gets better, I promise. I fully admit I had about a week of ibuprofen round the clock, and chewing was difficult for a very long time until my molars connected again, but it does get better. Hang in there, you know the prize at the end, don't give up now.

Other adults almost never mention it. Only my closest friends who are very direct have said anything, and it was to ask intelligent questions. But most people never say a word. Really. I had heard that from people here, but didn't believe it until it happened. I would say 95% of people ignore it. The very few that do say anything are very positive, or curious because they are thinking of having treatment done as well.

No, your braces won't consume your every thought forever. Just for a little while. You'll look in the mirror more, watching for any sign of movement. You'll become best friends with your toothbrush and you'll invest gobs of money on fancy sensitive toothpastes because you apparently have princess teeth. (Oh, maybe just me) but soon you'll have to remind yourself that you can't eat this or that, and when you get elastics you'll eventually forget they're in and try to start eating without popping them out.

Stock up on lip balm and ibuprofen, yogurt, pudding, jello, and soup. Even if you don't have days of pain, they'll come in handy for the 24 hours that follow an adjustment.

Eye on the prize. It's worth it. If it wasn't, none of us would be here encouraging each other on.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

TheProfessor

#3 Post by TheProfessor »

I felt exactly the same way when I got braces 2 months before my 40th birthday. I was extremely self conscious at first and my strategy to deal with it was to pretend the braces weren't there. Beckett is right, most adults will never mention your braces even though they will definitely notice them (even some close friends will never say anything because they can tell that you are embarrassed). Hang in there and you will feel better once the newness wears off and you start to see some positive changes. After the first 5 or 6 months, my teeth started to look better and I was less self-conscious. After a year I rarely felt self conscious except for when I had to eat in front of strangers. I hated my braces the whole 25 months they were in my mouth, but I loved what they did to my smile! It was worth paying the ortho to torture me and I wish I would have done it sooner! :flowerbloom:
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

Bracesat57

#4 Post by Bracesat57 »

What you are going thru is perfectly normal. I think we all woke up the next morning wondering what the hell we had done to ourselves. Hang in there. It does get better.

You WILL get over the embarrassment stage. Then you will start to notices changes and get all excited. Towards the end you will love your straight teeth with the braces on rather then your naked crooked teeth before braces.

Then next thing you will be given your debonding date! I still can't believe all the fuss I made leading up to getting braces at the age of 57. Now they are off and I am so amazed at how simple the process was after all. Yes, I was so nervous because of my age but I am so glad I did it. My teeth would have only continued to shift and get worse. Now I have a beautiful smile that I am proud of!

Hang in there. It is all worth it!

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

Mouthy

#5 Post by Mouthy »

Hi I had my braces fitted on Friday - top and bottom - is it correct that I have sharp wires in my mouth which are cutting my cheeks to shreds??? the wax isnt working and Ive nearly used it all anyway - it comes out everytime you clean or eat !!
Not sure if I should go back - I want to have them removed now as my mouth is so painful. Its not the braces themselves just the wires !!

mdkr22

#6 Post by mdkr22 »

Thank you, everybody! This website is fantastic.

After 3-4 days and your encouraging words, I'm happy to say I feel MUCH better. I can obviously tell they are there, but I'm not agonizing over them. They don't hurt nearly as much, and I can eat more than milkshakes. I'm glad I resisted the urge to have them taken off. I can already see improvement!

As for social situations, you are all right that others haven't seen it as a big deal. I've had some sympathetic friends, for the most part... if they mention them at all. I'm starting to think that going back to work won't be that big of a deal.

For anybody contemplating braces who may be reading this thread... It really seems like the hardest part is short lived, just like the other posters stated. We CAN do this. :-)

I'm still so thankful I found this site!

mdkr22

#7 Post by mdkr22 »

[quote="Mouthy"]Hi I had my braces fitted on Friday - top and bottom - is it correct that I have sharp wires in my mouth which are cutting my cheeks to shreds??? the wax isnt working and Ive nearly used it all anyway - it comes out everytime you clean or eat !!
Not sure if I should go back - I want to have them removed now as my mouth is so painful. Its not the braces themselves just the wires !![/quote]

I think I feel your pain. Certain brackets have been cutting up my cheeks, but it's getting better. I agree... the wax doesn't stay on long! Is it the wires at the very back, by the molars? If so, it might be worth going in to the orthodontist to have them snipped shorter. (I'll admit I'm not much of a expert. I just had mine put on, too!)

Beckett

#8 Post by Beckett »

Mouthy wrote:Hi I had my braces fitted on Friday - top and bottom - is it correct that I have sharp wires in my mouth which are cutting my cheeks to shreds??? the wax isnt working and Ive nearly used it all anyway - it comes out everytime you clean or eat !!
Not sure if I should go back - I want to have them removed now as my mouth is so painful. Its not the braces themselves just the wires !!
Are the sharp wires at the very back, poking out of your molar bracket? If so, go back and have them clip the end flush with the bracket. If it's the rest of the wires just rubbing inside your mouth, I'm afraid it's something your mouth will just have to get used to. Is it rubbing raw, or actually cutting you? Do you happen to have wire ties instead of the little rubber ligatures? They should twist and bend those in such a way that the raw ends should be tucked in and not poking. Get up close with a mirror and see if you can determine exactly what is poking and what is rubbing and what can be clipped and what has to be tolerated. In time your mouth with toughen up.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

miluti

#9 Post by miluti »

I'm getting mine on tomorrow, girl - I understand your concerns and I'm terrified that I'll feel the same...that all you'll be able to see are the braces (I'm getting the regular metal top and bottom...can't afford anything else). I even got my nose pierced last week with a hoop (after wanting it for 14 years) just to have something else to distract from my mouth!!! I'm officially losing it. My anxiety disorder has me sitting here in complete knots and worry...

I know myself, though, and I know I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Braces are pretty much like an additional accessory in this day and age - no one cares about what it looks like but you! Step back and take a deep breath. Go do something for yourself that makes you feel good!! Nails, hair, get your makeup done at Sephora or something...go for a run or a swim... Get those feel-good endorphins going. :) <3

(and come back next week when I make a post of the same nature...I'll need a dose of my own advice :crazy: hahaha!!)