6 Month Smiles braces going on next weekend

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

golfgirl

Re: 6 Month Smiles braces going on next weekend

#46 Post by golfgirl »

I've had no sores or rubbing at all. Though my mouth feels feels very "full", although I've kind of got used to it.

The last day or two, though, it's felt as if my bite is "off". It also - scarily - feels as though my upper top teeth on one side are a bit loose.

However, my daughter is a dentist and tells me that this is normal and fine with this kind of procedure. Phew!

Cmilt

#47 Post by Cmilt »

Everyday im getting more used to that feeling of a full mouth of medal. Just hope the rubbing stops soon. Thank god for the wax. Eating is still weird with all the food getting stuck in the brackets. Yuck!!! I'm sure I'll get used to that too.

golfgirl

#48 Post by golfgirl »

How is everyone getting on?

2.5 months in for me and my teeth seem to be moving brilliantly! The horrible upper-left incisor that was at an angle and slightly overlapped my front tooth is now straight, as far as I can see! I'm so tempted to have the brace taken off right now, though I know my dentist will say that my treatment is nowhere near complete. I really want it off at the end of August, and so she is aiming to tighten every 2-3 weeks on order to speed things up for me.

I've had no pain and no rubbing at all. I do now have a bit of a lisp, especially when I'm a little dehydrated or slightly thirsty. But that's a small price to pay!

Do please post and update us! x

golfgirl

#49 Post by golfgirl »

Had my brace off this morning. I feel so sad. My teeth are straight but I'm left with what I feel is a ridiculous and distinctive anterior open bite. I could cry. :-(

Beckett

#50 Post by Beckett »

How was your bite before the 6MS braces? This system is not known for fixing bite issues, only cosmetic issues of the front teeth.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

golfgirl

#51 Post by golfgirl »

Actually an anterior overbite. Sorry, wrong terminology.

I did have a slight overbite. But nothing like this. I did not need my bite fixed. I had a slightly overlapping left lateral incisor. That's fixed. Just that I look like Bugs Bunny now.

Felina Grimm

#52 Post by Felina Grimm »

The thing about straightening teeth for cosmetic reasons only, the bite will end up wonky if it wasn't before.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

lmk

#53 Post by lmk »

golfgirl wrote:Had my brace off this morning. I feel so sad. My teeth are straight but I'm left with what I feel is a ridiculous and distinctive anterior open bite. I could cry. :-(
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy! Did you mention your concern to your dentist?

Tyrantblade

#54 Post by Tyrantblade »

Yeah 6 month smile and anything promising quick treatment is probably not really suitable for most people, just something backed by dentists that want extra money.

Slow and steady is best with braces.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

golfgirl

#55 Post by golfgirl »

So sad. Make sure you are told about the risks.

golfgirl

#56 Post by golfgirl »

This is me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

golfgirl

#57 Post by golfgirl »

Please, please, please talk to your dentist about the risks.

lmk

#58 Post by lmk »

Golfgirl, I can see your teeth are straight but uppers are flared. I read somewhere that flaring can be corrected slightly with a retainer. Not sure which kind of retainer or if that's true but it's worth checking into with an Orthodontist.

golfgirl

#59 Post by golfgirl »

Yes, exactly.

I have an appointment with a very good orthodontist next week. I'll see what he recommends.

lmk

#60 Post by lmk »

golfgirl wrote:Yes, exactly.

I have an appointment with a very good orthodontist next week. I'll see what he recommends.
I'm so glad to hear that ! Keep us posted and I hope your appointment goes great.