Ordering Replacement Invisalign Retainers in the UK??

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zach

Ordering Replacement Invisalign Retainers in the UK??

#1 Post by Zach »

Hi,

I am based in the UK. I had invisalign treatment around 2012, and was given a set of 3 Vivera retainers after that.

I was told by my ortho that each set would last a lifetime and the other two were just in case I lost the first 2.

Clearly this wasnt true.

It was also part of a number of unprofessional and inaccurate behaviour by her.

Basically my relationship with her has completely broken down, every time I book an appointment she cancels last minute (the last time I was on route to the practice, wasted a 30 mile journey and ended up putting an informal complaint).

Anyway, I need new retainers as mine are knackered. I've tried looking on the Invisalign website and there is no contact details I can find.

Basically how can I order new vivera retainers? I dont mind paying a little extra (e.g. if I need to go via a new dentist), and of course the price for the retainers themselves, but I cant go via my ortho who I had the treatment with due to the reasons mentioned above.

Thanks for any help/advice

bbsadmin

Re: Ordering Invisalign Retainers

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You will probably need to go to another orthodontist, get molds made, and get a new set of retainers.

You could try to get your original molds or measurements from your original orthodontist, but since you say that your relationship with her is totally broken down, that might not happen. I don't know what the rules and regulations are in the UK. I don't know whether you are entitled to that information (i.e., to get your records from her to take to another orthodontist). You might want to contact whatever regulatory board there is for dentistry in the UK and find out.

It will probably cost you money to get new molds or measurements made, so having the original molds or measurements would be an advantage for you. If you have been wearing your retainers regularly, then the old molds or measurements would still be valid. If you haven't been wearing your retainer regularly, your teeth may have shifted and you might need new molds to be made, anyway. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!

If anyone in the UK has better or more accurate advice, please chime in!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Zach

Re: Ordering Invisalign Retainers

#3 Post by Zach »

[quote="bbsadmin"]You will probably need to go to another orthodontist, get molds made, and get a new set of retainers.

You could try to get your original molds or measurements from your original orthodontist, but since you say that your relationship with her is totally broken down, that might not happen. I don't know what the rules and regulations are in the UK. I don't know whether you are entitled to that information (i.e., to get your records from her to take to another orthodontist). You might want to contact whatever regulatory board there is for dentistry in the UK and find out.

It will probably cost you money to get new molds or measurements made, so having the original molds or measurements would be an advantage for you. If you have been wearing your retainers regularly, then the old molds or measurements would still be valid. If you haven't been wearing your retainer regularly, your teeth may have shifted and you might need new molds to be made, anyway. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!

If anyone in the UK has better or more accurate advice, please chime in![/quote]

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I have been wearing my retainers regularly, every night for several years now. They seem to keep my teeth straight. But I remember when I used to switch between one set of vivera and another there was tightness which made me assume that the sets eventually change shape etc.

I really liked the idea of invisalign/vivera having somewhere on their computer systems the exact measurements for my perfectly straight teeth (at the end of my invisalign treatment) so I'd rather not get a new set made now from a fresh mold as I'm not sure if they've moved slightly even with regularly retainer wear. I'd rather just get a new set of invisalign based on the original measurements.

Thanks again for your reply. Not sure if any dentists/orthos read this forum but would be great to hear if I can obtain my originals from another dentist.

DrJasonKTam

Re: Ordering Replacement Invisalign Retainers in the UK??

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Sorry to hear about your situation. You can still order Vivera retainers from another orthodontist who is a certified Invisalign provider but you will need to have them complete a transfer form for your digital information. Once that is completed, your new office should be able to order them for you. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8