Braces are off for good this time!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

samoorelaw

Re: Braces are off for good this time!

#16 Post by samoorelaw »

Just got my positioner and man oh man is this thing uncomfortable to wear. My bite is still holding 2 weeks after removal and ortho said to play it by ear as to when to wear this but he said just to wear it at night. I don't see how useful this thing is if worn while sleeping: it only works when you bite into it and obviously you're not actively doing that while asleep unless you're maybe a grinder (which I'm not).

Anyone have any experience with these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

lmk

#17 Post by lmk »

I had one of those as a teen the first time I had braces. Forgot all about that until I saw your picture!! I remember only wearing it at night also. Couldn't imagine wearing it during the day :shock:

samoorelaw

#18 Post by samoorelaw »

lmk wrote:I had one of those as a teen the first time I had braces. Forgot all about that until I saw your picture!! I remember only wearing it at night also. Couldn't imagine wearing it during the day :shock:
So you feel my pain! Did you sleep with it in or just wear it at night? I don't see how anyone could sleep with this thing in: it only stays in if I actively bite into it.

lmk

#19 Post by lmk »

samoorelaw wrote:
lmk wrote:I had one of those as a teen the first time I had braces. Forgot all about that until I saw your picture!! I remember only wearing it at night also. Couldn't imagine wearing it during the day :shock:
So you feel my pain! Did you sleep with it in or just wear it at night? I don't see how anyone could sleep with this thing in: it only stays in if I actively bite into it.

Yes, I feel your pain! I remember wearing it a certain amount of hours (2 or 3?) every night before bed while watching tv and had to periodically clench my teeth because it activated it or something and I was told that was important. I also had to sleep with it on every night. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and it not being all the way on my teeth at times, but I'm sure that's common considered it's a massive mouth piece. Omg all the memories are coming back, haha!!

samoorelaw

#20 Post by samoorelaw »

lmk wrote:
samoorelaw wrote:

Yes, I feel your pain! I remember wearing it a certain amount of hours (2 or 3?) every night before bed while watching tv and had to periodically clench my teeth because it activated it or something and I was told that was important. I also had to sleep with it on every night. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and it not being all the way on my teeth at times, but I'm sure that's common considered it's a massive mouth piece. Omg all the memories are coming back, haha!!
Oh wow! I'll try to wear it a bit more today. And I'm glad I could be the bringer of your nostalgia! lol

samoorelaw

#21 Post by samoorelaw »

As of tomorrow, it's 4 weeks since my braces have been removed and I've been on edge. The first time the braces were removed in 2014, my open bite returned within 2 weeks, but so far, the bite seems to be holding. Could it be the positioner is working? I don't wear it that often (an hour or so per day in total), but maybe that's enough to maintain it? Or maybe my bite is just more stable overall this time?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lmk

#22 Post by lmk »

samoorelaw wrote:As of tomorrow, it's 4 weeks since my braces have been removed and I've been on edge. The first time the braces were removed in 2014, my open bite returned within 2 weeks, but so far, the bite seems to be holding. Could it be the positioner is working? I don't wear it that often (an hour or so per day in total), but maybe that's enough to maintain it? Or maybe my bite is just more stable overall this time?

Having your open bite return within 2 weeks the first time must have been devastating! I'd be on edge too. Maybe the positioner is doing the trick this time! Did you know what caused your bite to relapse last time? Did you have bad tongue posture or breath primarily through the mouth? I did both of those things and didn't even realize I did that until I had braces. Took me awhile to correct my bad habit but now I'm more at ease about my open bite not returning.

samoorelaw

#23 Post by samoorelaw »

lmk wrote: Having your open bite return within 2 weeks the first time must have been devastating! I'd be on edge too. Maybe the positioner is doing the trick this time! Did you know what caused your bite to relapse last time? Did you have bad tongue posture or breath primarily through the mouth? I did both of those things and didn't even realize I did that until I had braces. Took me awhile to correct my bad habit but now I'm more at ease about my open bite not returning.
Oh you have no idea how devastating! To have to go back into partial braces just 3 weeks after removal was heartbreaking and a tease.

I don't know what caused it: I have never been told I have a tongue thrusting issue although I have always been a mouth breather primarily, more so before the upper jaw surgery. Always felt I had stuffy noses prior to the surgery and I do breathe through my nose more ever since the surgery (which I had in February 2014), although not when I'm asleep.

My ortho and dentist believe I relapsed because my teeth are so worn down, which is why it was recommended I get crowns on those back teeth but I already have 9 crowns and I see no need to destroy healthy teeth just to achieve a better bite. At least, not yet.

How long has your bite been holding since removal or are you in braces still?

lmk

#24 Post by lmk »

I had my braces removed about 2 months ago. I noticed as soon as the braces were removed my front teeth didn't overlap as far. Not much, just a tiny bit but I've obsessed over my bite so I noticed. But since then, it hasn't changed at all, so I'm very hopeful that I'll be ok.

samoorelaw

#25 Post by samoorelaw »

lmk wrote:I had my braces removed about 2 months ago. I noticed as soon as the braces were removed my front teeth didn't overlap as far. Not much, just a tiny bit but I've obsessed over my bite so I noticed. But since then, it hasn't changed at all, so I'm very hopeful that I'll be ok.
Awesome to hear! Hope I can say the same in another month and beyond...