How accurate is the treatment time the ortho tells you?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

umdylan

How accurate is the treatment time the ortho tells you?

#1 Post by umdylan »

I had my first orthodontic consultation today. According to the orthodontist: Class 1 malocclusion, 4 gaps total in front top teeth and incisors, and my midline is off by 2 mm.

They told me treatment is going to take 12 - 16 months. Do you think this is an accurate treatment time? For people who've gotten braces, did the treatment time match when you got them off?

Also, how is a midline corrected? Rubber bands?

Tyrantblade

Re: How accurate is the treatment time the ortho tells you?

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

Theres no telling until you have had braces for a while as sometimes teeth move faster or slower than normal.

Midlines can probably be fixed a number of different ways, elastics being one of them.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Welshrarebit

#3 Post by Welshrarebit »

At my consultation I was told 18 months. At my fitting I was told 2 years. At my first adjustment I was told 2.5 years +/- 6 months.
So I think the time is hard to predict, maybe because it depends on the individual receiving treatment as well as the orthodontist conducting it, and the method they use.

testimony777

#4 Post by testimony777 »

I began as an open bite case, with an overbite, four gaps to close on the top and slight crowding as well as a slightly rotated tooth on the bottom. At my consultation I was told 24 mos. After my first adjustment, the time was changed to 18 mos. At my last adjustment (which was my third) the time was not officially changed but both my orthodontist and her assistant commented several times about how fast my teeth were moving and mentioned that I would likely be out of braces sooner than predicted. For comparison, my husband had severe crowding and had to have four extractions. He was initially quoted 24 mos. as well. He has been in braces now for over three years and the end is not in sight. Our orthodontist said there is a good chance I will be out of braces before him :shock: ; his teeth are extremely stubborn :( .
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I think it's an educated guess based on your skeletal and dental issues, overall health, sex, and age. What they don't know of course is your physiology/biology or how you will respond to braces. I had a two year estimate that stretched to three because of a couple of reluctant gaps. I know I have very dense bones -- when I was in Officer Indoctrination School for the Navy back in the day, I sank like a rock when they asked us to float during the swim test (which I had passed with flying colors). Same in the ocean! And the whole remodeling process takes longer with dense bones. Also, I think I recall reading that older patients require longer -- and I am 65. On a positive note, I am hoping that this reluctance of tooth movement will help keep things in order now that I am debraced and using a Vivera retainer.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

SinkFullOfDinner

#6 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

If Vegas offered odds, I'd bet the "over."

My dentist claims that most of her adult patients tend to run longer than original estimate, and it sure seems like there are more posters here that go over rather than under. Personally, it looks like it will be "over" as well, but hopefully not by much.

angelina

#7 Post by angelina »

I'm not an expert however I guess I just assumed they look at how difficult our case may be and make an estimate from there - and it's how compliant we are and how our individual mouth responds can throw it out. I have heard that children's teeth move much faster, and now that my son has broken his wrist I've also learned they heal and move much faster with a lot of things because their bones are still growing.

I'm in my 30's and on round 2 of braces, had them as a young teen, and they're moving much faster this time around and I suspect it's mostly because I'm complying with elastic-wearing and keeping my teeth clean. I'm looking to have them off well before my estimate if things keep progressing this smoothly, I only have a few appointments left and I've only had them on for 10 months and was told 18-24 months as an estimate.

metalliKa

#8 Post by metalliKa »

Each case varies. And remember, the timeline your ortho gave you is only an estimate. Your treatment may finish early, on time, or get extended depending on many factors. For me personally, I was quoted 12-15 months and I finished in 14 months.

The only thing I found accurate throughout my braces journey is the payment! :biglaf:
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

SinkFullOfDinner

#9 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

metalliKa wrote:The only thing I found accurate throughout my braces journey is the payment! :biglaf:
@metallika, that's hilarious.

The other thing that's predictable is being the oldest kid in the chairs.

Felina Grimm

#10 Post by Felina Grimm »

In the office I go to, even payment isn't predictable. You have six months past your estimated treatment time to finish treatment. If you don't, you have to keep paying until you're done. The ortho originally said I was going to finish early. But due to two stubborn right canines, I'm going past my estimated time. :-(
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

mmkay

#11 Post by mmkay »

Felina Grimm wrote:In the office I go to, even payment isn't predictable. You have six months past your estimated treatment time to finish treatment. If you don't, you have to keep paying until you're done.
Well that's BS.

I'm rather over time...but I am philosophical. Starting position was a shocker. Just happy the ortho isn't rushing to deband given the time overrun.