Just got braces off... Need to whiten teeth now!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jacktorrance

Just got braces off... Need to whiten teeth now!

#1 Post by jacktorrance »

Hi,

I'm in London, England. I finished orthodontic treatment recently, and now want to get my teeth whitened. There are so many scam clinics around, so could anyone please recommend to me somewhere good around the London area I can go for whitening?

I want to go up quite a few shades as my teeth are yellow. I want whatever is most effective, laser or peroxide I'm not sure... I've used peroxide products before and had one light-activated peroxide treatment (all of these were years ago) and didn't experience much of a gain though.

I think BUPA offers Zoom whitening which I've heard name-dropped around the web.

mmkay

Re: Just got braces off... Need to whiten teeth now!

#2 Post by mmkay »

Zoom is fine, it's just hydrogen peroxide. You can do whitening at home and get good results if you want to save money (boil and bite mouth trays + hydrogen peroxide). Takes longer though as in-chair = strong concentration, but the immediately after results are misleading as they are partially due to tooth dehydration.

jfriend33

#3 Post by jfriend33 »

before I had my braces on I was using polanight, a version of polazing or poladay. This was given to me by my dentist. Once all cavities were filled, they made trays and gave me 4 tubes. They wanted to charge me 25 dollars per tube, and realized I could get authentic product on amazon for 1/4 of the price. OR less.

it all depends on how serious your case is too. I have seen people require prescription narcotics just to alleviate the pain from zoom whitening treatments...... no pain at all or sensitivity with pola, I even had bad sensitivity once with the crest professional

metalliKa

#4 Post by metalliKa »

Don't do it! The sensitivity that comes with white teeth is not worth it! I did an at home whitening system and I couldn't get through one 10 ml tube of whitening agent. On my third session, my teeth became so sensitive to air, it hurt just to breathe.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

mmkay

#5 Post by mmkay »

metalliKa wrote:Don't do it! The sensitivity that comes with white teeth is not worth it! I did an at home whitening system and I couldn't get through one 10 ml tube of whitening agent. On my third session, my teeth became so sensitive to air, it hurt just to breathe.
Only some people experience sensitivity, and it depends upon the strength. I used 6% hydrogen peroxide and experienced very little sensitivity.

Like jfriend33 I used pola, which is a credible brand.

metalliKa

#6 Post by metalliKa »

mmkay wrote: Only some people experience sensitivity, and it depends upon the strength. I used 6% hydrogen peroxide and experienced very little sensitivity.

Like jfriend33 I used pola, which is a credible brand.
Is the pola brand available in the states?
I read that you can only get that in the dental office and if you order elsewhere, it's likely a counterfeit pola brand.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

mmkay

#7 Post by mmkay »

I'm in Australia so don't know about USA.

Here the law is you can only get the strong concentration stuff (which is likely what you used) via dentists, because of the risk of damage to gums, etc.

The weaker stuff (3% or 6% HP) you can buy online from reputable suppliers (in my case a guy associated with a dental practice). It works fine, just takes more applications.

And yes you do have to be careful about counterfeits and also dodgy brands (which may be acidic).