considering orthodontics for the third time...is the charm?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Quirky

considering orthodontics for the third time...is the charm?

#1 Post by Quirky »

Hello, new user here. I'm 47 years old, and have been through the orthodontic wars. A maxillary expander for a bilateral posterior crossbite, back in the early 70s when I don't think they really knew what they were doing quite yet. In any event, it didn't work. First bicuspids extracted and standard-issue metal braces in the early 80s, with removable retainer on top and fixed on bottom. That work didn't stay put either. Wisdom teeth removed in college.

Although my teeth have moved out of position, it's not so much the aesthetics of slightly misaligned teeth so much as the crossbite leading to gum erosion, plus recently diagnosed mild sleep apnea, that have me thinking about orthodontics again to try to fix the crossbite and expand my maxilla to help expand my airway.

I was at my dentist today for a regular cleaning and she says it's amazing how many patients she sees with apnea who had had permanent teeth removed prior to orthodontia. She's a provider for the DNA Appliance system (which is how I found her, although I'm not quite ready to commit without further research).

https://dnaappliance.com/

I'm also looking into MARPE.

I can't believe how much this all may cost, but on the other hand gum surgery is not cheap either and I really need to fix my bite before my gums get worse. Not to mention there is no way I will ever be able to tolerate a CPAP for the apnea.

Thanks for reading.

2XRound

Re: considering orthodontics for the third time...is the charm?

#2 Post by 2XRound »

I am in a similar position. Diagnosed with mild sleep apnea in part caused by my overbite that didn't stay fully corrected. \I had no idea how hard this would be to fix till I went back to my ortho. :cry: Full braces (third time) with elastics for 18-24 months. I am over 50 and don't look forward to getting my trout pout back ( braces make my lips protrude). I am interested to learn about the alternatives they offered you.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

2XRound

Re: considering orthodontics for the third time...is the charm?

#3 Post by 2XRound »

I saw your post. Did you take the leap? I am interested to learn more about your treatment. I am dreading being put back in full braces with elastics for a third time. :cry:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]