Getting Braces in Mexico - Save $$$

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracefaceekimmie

Re: Getting Braces in Mexico - Save $$$

#16 Post by bracefaceekimmie »

LB22 wrote:Where exactly did you go to get your braces?
You can research good dentist in mexico online. But if your in the SPAM - san ysidro border I'm getting them done in san diego for super cheap! I was quoted 2400 in Mex, and 2800 here without having to leave the states.

startreck

#17 Post by startreck »

please can you refer your doctor in mexico for info i wan to make braces on my theet please if somebody has done cheap braces for your theet since i live in california the closest for my is SPAM and i want to know if some could recomend good othodontics doctors in SPAM to get my this treatments done i wold truly aprreciated
cheerrs
startreck

Rembrantoes

#18 Post by Rembrantoes »

I am interested in getting braces for my husband and me. We are looking for just the same experience you had. Our local orthodontist wants upwards of 4K for each of us. If you would please make your orthodontist practice name known here on the board so we could go? Or if she could recommend a colleague in Ensenada since we go regularly to visit family? Thank you.

djspeece

#19 Post by djspeece »

Caveat Emptor.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

carrieann

Re:

#20 Post by carrieann »

DrJasonKTam wrote:There are definitely some fantastic orthodontists in Mexico, but they are rare, amongst a sea of orthodontists and generalists doing ortho. One of my co-residents at Boston University is an orthodontist there, 2nd generation, as his father is also one. Their fees are amongst the highest in the city, probably similar to what GPs charge in the US and Canada. I don't think travelers would be saving that much overall with them.

The cost of their treatment is related to a number of things including extremely low cost of staff (making up nearly 1/4 of office expenses here at home), lower cost of education, less expensive supply costs for the exact same product, and lower tax rates.

If you find someone you're very happy with, and factor in the costs of travel and time for treatment, then this can be a viable option. Just make sure you do your research, as there is likely little recourse if you're unhappy with the work.
Thanks for sharing this info! I have been wondering (and slightly annoyed) that I am paying 8,470 for my braces in Denver for a very simple case. It must be in part due to the high cost of wages and living here. Everything seems to be more expensive in CO. On this site I have found most people are paying between 3-5k so I have really been wondering if I am being taken for a ride.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

Tyrantblade

Re: Re:

#21 Post by Tyrantblade »

carrieann wrote:
DrJasonKTam wrote:There are definitely some fantastic orthodontists in Mexico, but they are rare, amongst a sea of orthodontists and generalists doing ortho. One of my co-residents at Boston University is an orthodontist there, 2nd generation, as his father is also one. Their fees are amongst the highest in the city, probably similar to what GPs charge in the US and Canada. I don't think travelers would be saving that much overall with them.

The cost of their treatment is related to a number of things including extremely low cost of staff (making up nearly 1/4 of office expenses here at home), lower cost of education, less expensive supply costs for the exact same product, and lower tax rates.

If you find someone you're very happy with, and factor in the costs of travel and time for treatment, then this can be a viable option. Just make sure you do your research, as there is likely little recourse if you're unhappy with the work.
Thanks for sharing this info! I have been wondering (and slightly annoyed) that I am paying 8,470 for my braces in Denver for a very simple case. It must be in part due to the high cost of wages and living here. Everything seems to be more expensive in CO. On this site I have found most people are paying between 3-5k so I have really been wondering if I am being taken for a ride.
I don't know how much wages are in Colorado, but it seems like cost of everything in NYS will be on a slow ride up since wages are supposed to climb up to $15 an hour in this state by 2021, right now my total treatment cost for 2 years is $6000 and minimum wage here is $9, if things go according to scale my 2021 treatment cost might have been over $9000, good thing i already got to it because things in my state just seem likely to get worse.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Handsum

#22 Post by Handsum »

[quote="bracefaceekimmie"][quote="LB22"]Where exactly did you go to get your braces?[/quote]

You can research good dentist in mexico online. But if your in the Ti juana - san ysidro border I'm getting them done in san diego for super cheap! I was quoted 2400 in Mex, and 2800 here without having to leave the states.[/quote]

Can you refer me to your ortho or tell me name of practice? That would be more convenient for me to go there to San Diego than Ti juana

jfriend33

Re: Re:

#23 Post by jfriend33 »

carrieann wrote:

are there any dental schools near you? that would save a ton. Most people are not paying between 3 and 5k. I'd say its about double that. But at a dental school, 3-4k is about right.
Rembrantoes wrote:I am interested in getting braces for my husband and me. We are looking for just the same experience you had. Our local orthodontist wants upwards of 4K for each of us. If you would please make your orthodontist practice name known here on the board so we could go? Or if she could recommend a colleague in Ensenada since we go regularly to visit family? Thank you.

that is not a bad price at all. You could ask if they offer a pay in full discount, and maybe using a no interest credit card or care credit might help out? I would also research higher education/universities to save money if your other options fall through.

EmilyTravels

#24 Post by EmilyTravels »

If anyone has any orthodontist recommendations in Playa del Carmen (or anywhere else in the Riviera Maya, for that matter), I'd love to hear them. My husband and I love that area, and I would certainly consider getting braces there instead of the US if it would mean a cost savings -- so long as the ortho were well-qualified, of course.

Tyrantblade

#25 Post by Tyrantblade »

Braces in Mexico would only be cheaper if you lived super close.

If you had to fly out or drive from states away, the savings you could get would be negated by costs of traveling.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

aimiloo

#26 Post by aimiloo »

Hi there!

I'm looking to get braces in Mexico. Can anyone give me some recommendations?

Crossbit2017

#27 Post by Crossbit2017 »

Hello all,

I’ve seen a few people rave about good orthodontist in Mexico. Distance isn’t a huge factor as much as cost and good work is. Could some one recommend a few that do good work so that I can narrow down my research? Thanks in advance!

jfriend33

#28 Post by jfriend33 »

Well I should technically not say this for another five years just to make sure my teeth Don't relapse. However I have saved $50,000. I spent more money saving one molar with a root canal and crown(3500) than I did for my entire cost of Ortho treatment which lasted 3 years. I technically should have spent $25,000 for a jaw orthognatic surgery and around 15,000 for pre-surgical braces. I'm more than happy with this journey that is just shy of 3000....12 mini screws later lol.

If you don't have a complicated case sure I suppose you could skimp but after all we just want a healthy smile that will last a lifetime why would we want to jeopardize that. Due to my complicated case it is why I chose to go to a learning institution in which the latest techniques would be implemented.

Oldwizeone

#29 Post by Oldwizeone »

They say the over head and labor is high but they wanted $9000.00 to put braces on my daughter how can anyone a ford that. The last consult she got six thousand six hundred. It was 3000.00 to remove her wisdom teeth for teeth $3,000 and it took less than 45 minutes. Most of them you can get in to see the same day and they only work 3 to 4 days a week. The person on here talked about malpractice and how the laws and Mexico are different a doctor hurt my back very bad but I signed a piece of paper that said he could put me in a wheelchair and I wouldn't sue him therefore there was nothing I could do and most dentist up here do the same thing before they pull out a tooth they tell you what can happen and you sign a piece of paper there for you cannot Sue they don't understand if they would drop their prices they might be busier make more money at the same time because they have more clients it's sad that we have the technology to fix teeth but most of America can't afford it so they get one tooth pulled at a time and that's right around $500 for an easy tooth and your first visit and an x-ray and then they get false teeth if they can afford them. My dad went with out teeth for years no being able to pay for false teeth and I think when I was a kid I went to the dentist 3 times Maybe. The places up here with the sliding fee scale are so busy you can't get in for months.I live in Alaska so I can't a ford to go to Mexico. Just thought I would rant a little.

Mariselajaay

#30 Post by Mariselajaay »

Hello where exactly did you get your braces done? Do you happen to have a phone number or email or something to the place?