What should I expect at the initial surgical consultation?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overthewater

What should I expect at the initial surgical consultation?

#1 Post by overthewater »

I have my first consultation with the surgeon soon. I've had my braces for a few months. My orthodontist said they I will probably need surgery. Will the surgeon tell me for sure at this appointment? Will they take measurements? Also, has anyone experienced issues with their weight in regards to getting the surgery?

joecinq03

Re: What should I expect at the initial surgical consultation?

#2 Post by joecinq03 »

Every surgeon is different but generally you'll get an xray or two, they'll examine it quickly then look at you quickly and tell you whether they think you'll benefit from surgery or not. They'll also likely tell you whether it'll be single or double jaw surgery and roughly what the movements might be, this isn't set in stone by any means but just a general idea for you of what the initial plan would be.

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

There is some variation in what surgeons do on the very first appointment, but you could reasonably expect that they'd discuss your symptoms with you, take measurements of your jaws and bite, and take pictures of your face, in addition to the x-rays and stuff that joecinq03 mentioned. I didn't hear an estimate of my surgeon's recommended movements (even rough estimate) until my second appointment, at which time they showed me simulated "after" pictures, discussed their recommended treatment plan with me, and took molds of my teeth.

I did lose about 10-15 lbs after the operation. That is normal. The weight loss began immediately after the procedure as it was a struggle just to drink a couple syringes of Gatorade, much less get any calories. It took me several months to get back to the weight I was at pre-op.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Yes, you will get measurements for facial height and widths, lip incompetence (if present.) There will be the standard set of diagnostic photos and maybe a set of models done. If you have a recent cephalograms and Panorex from your ortho's office, bring a copy of those with you (on a USB stick or CD) so you don't have to have them needlessly retaken.

lemonweeps

#5 Post by lemonweeps »

Yes the surgeon will confirm it. However, the orthodontist is usually right. For me, the first few appointments involved xrays, photos, teeth moulds. Then my surgeon will explain about the surgery, like what might happen, what will happen kind of stuff. After that, he/she will take measurements of your face and stuff. Weight issues? Hmm nope. If you are very underweight, you might want to gain some before surgery because after surgery, your calorie intake will be much less because your mouth will be shut.

Jbird

#6 Post by Jbird »

How long before you can get back to eating, working, etc.?

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

janakaybravo wrote:How long before you can get back to eating, working, etc.?
Depends on your case and surgeon but likely 6 weeks before you can chew (soft foods only) and 3-6 weeks before you feel like going back to work. Going back to work really depends on you though.

lemonweeps

#8 Post by lemonweeps »

janakaybravo wrote:How long before you can get back to eating, working, etc.?
I am 5 weeks post op, banded completely shut for 3 weeks, so my diet was liquid, next 2 weeks I could take out my band to eat a no chew diet, surgeon just recently took out my bands, am allowed to eat fish, rice and other soft food, chewing at a bare minimum. I'd say for working, the minimum is 2 weeks before you start going to work, but having to talk is a bit of a problem. Keep it to 3 weeks, that is the safest, because you are not as tired.

I am starting (maybe) to exercise like take walks and stuff, nothing too vigorous.

CCinBraces

#9 Post by CCinBraces »

How do you actually LOOK after, say 3 weeks? Are you heavily bruised? Also, do you think you can care for yourself after surgery? (versus needing someone to help you out--is that really needed?)

jaime

#10 Post by jaime »

CCinBraces wrote:How do you actually LOOK after, say 3 weeks? Are you heavily bruised? Also, do you think you can care for yourself after surgery? (versus needing someone to help you out--is that really needed?)
I didn't bruise at all but I would imagine that after 3 weeks, it's very faint if not gone completely.

By the third week, the swelling should be reduced enough (probably like 60%) to the point where strangers wouldn't know anything was going on.

Taking care of yourself is doable, but definitely not recommended. Walking around, getting up to do errands for yourself and around the house can be quite difficult. It's even worse if you're not responding well to your post-op meds. There was one day I needed my husband to go out and get me anti-nauseants. There is no way in heck I would have been able to leave the house. I was so sick, nauseous, and swollen.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

EWUgal15

#11 Post by EWUgal15 »

I had horrifying bruising, both inside my mouth where the incisions were made and externally where the bones were broken. My chin had really good sized, beautiful shades of purple, spots for probably 2 weeks...I'll be honest, when I went out in public with my boyfriend and I wasn't covering my face with a scarf, people thought he had abused me. Oddly, I also had bruising down to my collar bone. But not in stripes. The two big ones on my jawline, then some random smaller ones down to my chest. The ones on my neck/chest weren't very dark, so they weren't as noticeable. I also had surgery in November, so they were covered up most of the time, but they took the longest to clear up. I'm pretty sure I had bruising until 5-6 weeks post op, but the worst of it was cleared up by then.

Andre2003

#12 Post by Andre2003 »

For those of you who have had the surgery, I have a one year old son and would be responsible for caring for him while my wife was a work of I decided on getting lower jaw surgery.

Do you guys think I'd be able to take care of an almost 2 year old days after surgery? Or is that too much?

CCinBraces

#13 Post by CCinBraces »

How long would you recommend needing a "caregiver?"

snapdresser

#14 Post by snapdresser »

Andre2003 wrote:Do you guys think I'd be able to take care of an almost 2 year old days after surgery? Or is that too much?
How many days after surgery? I'd give it maybe 4-6 days until you'll be up and about enough to care for a 2 year old. You COULD do it as soon as you stop the heavy meds, but I didn't get out of bed for anything except a bath for the first couple days, and even that I had to have someone help me with. If you're going this alone, it will be difficult. You'll have to create lots of phone reminders or something for each dose of medication (cuz you take a few at different intervals) and you'll probably want to forgo the baths altogether for a few days. You'll feel gross but it's better than passing out and smashing your face (which is liable to happen when you stand up after a hot bath within the first few days after this surgery. I believe it has something to do with it being a "high blood loss procedure"). That said, yeah, you could potentially take care of yourself after the operation, but it'll suck and you'll probably screw up your dosing here and there.

CCinBraces - I had some light bruising on my neck for a week or so post-op, but the real bruising was on my arm where the rookies had screwed up my A-line (or was it an IV?) Either way, my entire forearm had pretty ridiculous bruising for several weeks. It took a long time to go away, unfortunately, but it didn't stop me from going to work after 4 weeks and IMO it shouldn't stop you either. The swelling should be down enough at 3 weeks that while it doesn't yet reflect your final results, you'll still look like a "normal" person and won't draw stares or anything.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

CCinBraces

#15 Post by CCinBraces »

Thanks, again. Im hoping that after 2-3 weeks I might be able to work part-time at least and maybe work my way up from there then. Ive heard its not actually that painful and most issues are from swelling and loss of feeling in the face, is that correct? Maybe this is a dumb question then but what is it that makes post-op so difficult then? The blood loss? Combination of lack of sleep, nutrition, surgery, etc??

Ive seen since pics of people with LOTS of bruising and serious amounts of swelling for weeks and others who actually look quite normal after just a few days, hence my asking. It obviously really varies! Im very, very outdoorsy and active so I know it'll be a huge struggle for me post op.