28, SARPE / SARME, soon to be braced!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ToniMaree

28, SARPE / SARME, soon to be braced!

#1 Post by ToniMaree »

Hey all, so I really have enjoyed reading others experiences on blogs and on this forum.

A bit about my background. I have had crowded teeth for a long time, but due to lots of different circumstances growing up, my teeth were never high on the priority list. It's actually surreal now thinking that I am actually going to have a beautiful smile at the end of all this :)

Sparking a string of appointments was a small abscess that occurred on the 23rd of December 2014, due to public holidays I could not see a dentist so I went to a local doctor. He prescribed antibiotics, but advised me that I should be seen by a dentist because it can happen again.

First time I saw a dentist for a long time, it was quickly apparent from the xrays that my wisdom teeth were pretty much the cause. All 4 were impacted. So I had a few appts cleaning up my teeth and then I was referred to an OS.

The oral surgeon could remove all 4 wisdom teeth at his office under general anaesthesia. But he asked me, "are you interested in fixing the appearance of your teeth?"
Well of course I was, so he referred me to my Orthodontist. He thought it best to consult an ortho before removing teeth.

Orthodontist gave 2 options. - Removal of all 4 wisdom teeth, 4 more teeth and braces. Or. - SARPE /SARME (surgically assisted rapid palatal/maxillary expansion) surgery to correct my very narrow top jaw plus wisdom teeth removal, followed by braces.

So back to the OS, who gave me the cost breakdown. It would cost between $2600-3000 to have the teeth removed. But SARME could not be done in his office.
Because he worked at a teaching hospital and could put me on a waiting list I could have both the wisdom teeth removal and the SARME surgery done at the same time under Medicare (public health here in Aus). So due to the cost, and also the better long term result, I opted to go on a waiting list and have the SARME surgery.

I feel like I have written an essay already so will update again later x

ToniMaree

Re: 28, SARPE / SARME, soon to be braced!

#2 Post by ToniMaree »

After waiting 12 months, I had SARME surgery + 4 wisdom teeth extractions on the 18th March 2016.

Surgery went smoothly, but I had a bad reaction to the general anesthesia. I was nauseous for over 24 hours and had about 5 different anti-nausea medications which didn't help. Eventually I felt better, and after 2 nights in hospital I was able to go home. Eating was minimal, as my body just wasn't interested yet.

On day 3 post surgery, I visited my ortho. He turned the appliance twice and was very pleased with the gap that formed immediately. I was asked to turn the appliance twice per day, once in the morning and once at night. I kept resting for the rest of the week. My swelling peaked around day 3 and 4, I kept my head elevated at night for a few weeks.

After 4 weeks of turning the rapid maxillary expander appliance twice a day, the gap between my front teeth measured 10mm. Ortho commented "perfect result, exactly what I wanted", so that was really positive news. Then he said... "see you in three months". !! So that's where I am at right now. In three months, hopefully we will move into braces stage :) :)

One month post surgery and I still have swelling around my nose and top lip area. I can still feel numbness on my cheeks, nose, top lip and gums, though this is slowly getting better.

ToniMaree

#3 Post by ToniMaree »

Here is how my teeth currently look. I threw out my original pictures from the orthodontist. Does anyone know if they will reprint them for me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mali

#4 Post by mali »

Hi Toni

Good to see another Australian.

I am scheduled to have my SARME surgey on 16th July...along with wisdom teeth.

I have been nervous about the anesthesia - but have read on blogs that people don't even remember anything following anesthesia and feel as if they are waking up soon after.

Also nervous about how body will react to it all.

I have a deviated septum - the surgeon has said if the anesthetist has trouble putting the tube through the nose, they will just put it through my mouth and he will work around it.

My orthodontist has said the expander will be in for two months or so - so hopefully its not as long as 3 months!

Hope you are healing well!

ToniMaree

#5 Post by ToniMaree »

Hey Mali, so sorry I did not see your reply.
You must have had your surgery? I really hope it all went well x

ToniMaree

#6 Post by ToniMaree »

Just a quick update. Its the 18th of July, exactly 4 months since surgery and 3 since I stopped expanding.

Saw the Ortho today and he is very happy with the expansion. His words were "well that has worked even better than I expected".

I now have a brace date!!
4th of August I will be getting my braces put on :D So happy to be moving on to the next stage. I will update this post with some more pics of my teeth before the braces are put on. :BigGrin:

ToniMaree

#7 Post by ToniMaree »

Finally getting some pictures up! It has been an emotional ride the last week and a half.

Getting the braces on was pretty cruisy. In all I was in for about 1 hour but some of that was impressions and updated pictures.

That first night my whole head felt off and everything was sensitive. But all in all, with a couple of pain mess, it wasn't too bad. Took about a week to really get used to them.

I am finding brushing a pain. I just feel like there is a million nooks and crannies for food to hide in. Especially with braces and the expander.

Ortho doesn't want to see me for 12 weeks! BUT I get the expander out at that appointment so YAY! Anyhow. Progress on some of my teeth is really fast so I am really hopeful I can look like a normal person soon and not such an ogre!!!! Haha :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ToniMaree

#8 Post by ToniMaree »

So after a long long 3 month wait I had my first adjustment. New wires. But the most exciting thing is that the expander was taken out! Finally!

So a little on getting an expander taken out...
I won't say it was comfortable, but the discomfort of pushing, pulling and pressure doesn't last long. I didn't even realise when it came out because the back bands were much less uncomfortable to remove. I have done much googling of "expander taken out" and other such terms to see how bad it would be but all in all there really isn't much to say haha!
I am talking a little funny again because I was so used to the way that the expander felt, my toungue needs to get used to freedom again. I can't wait to eat and not have so many tangles!!! Woop!!!

So. The ortho doesn't want to see me again for another 3 months!!! Which is such a long wait but he assured me the wires would keep working that long. Will update pictures when I get a chance :)

Bracingmyself33

#9 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

3 months follow up is pretty far apart, no?

I'm on Damon braces and my ortho insisted I see her every 3-4 weeks...

ToniMaree

#10 Post by ToniMaree »

Yes 3 months seems unusually long to me for sure. I did get movement the whole time over the last 3 months though...

ToniMaree

#11 Post by ToniMaree »

Top is this morning. Bottom left is yesterday before the appt. Bottom right is the start of braces treatment.

jem

#12 Post by jem »

I think the photos show that your central incisors have straightened overnight. Congratulations on your excellent progress!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

jem

#13 Post by jem »

PS Remarkable progress also on that lower canine!
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

ToniMaree

#14 Post by ToniMaree »

This pic is from November.

ToniMaree

#15 Post by ToniMaree »

This is me today. Yay for the top powerchain and elastics! Not!
I look forward to seeing the movement over the next 10 weeks :D