What is this in my mouth?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatieMiller

What is this in my mouth?!

#1 Post by KatieMiller »

I posted this on another thread, but figured I would make a topic as well. I have this extra little flat metal, coil area... does anyone have an idea of what it is? I don't have an ortho appointment (my first adjustment... eek!) for 2 1/2 more weeks. I feel a little dumb, like I should know what it is, but it doesn't hurt to ask you all :)
Adult with Ceramic Brackets, Natural colored bands, and metal wire. Phase 2 after having them as a child. Started on May 3rd, 2016. Estimated completion April/May 2017

Mimo1985

Re: What is this in my mouth?!

#2 Post by Mimo1985 »

I dont know for sure - but its a coil right? The only thing Ive seen in YouTube vids is people have those coils to push apart the teeth to make room.
I could be wrong!
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm

Mimo1985

#3 Post by Mimo1985 »

PS - Your purple bands are so cute! :D
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm

SinkFullOfDinner

#4 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

If it's a coil, then it's a coil. But that seems like an odd location to put a coil since it looks like the tooth to the left must rotate toward the coil, not away from it to create space. You said it's also flat, right? Hard to tell, but could it just be a "crimp" the ortho placed to keep the archwire from sliding? My ortho puts little "crimp tubes" on the archwire and then squeezes them flat so they stay in place. Usually they look smoother though and not anything like a coil, so I dunno.

KatieMiller

#5 Post by KatieMiller »

I was thinking it's an odd location for a coil as well, because I can't see why I would need more space right there either. To me it looks like the tooth just needs some rotation? The flat piece of metal is attached to the coil. I still can't find any info on it. It isn't bothering me at all, I am just curious!

And thank you! I love the purple! I didn't think I would, as I was trying to keep them less obvious, but I think the color is so fun, especially in contrast with my ceramic brackets. It makes my teeth seem whiter as well, but that could be because my ligs aren't stained anymore
Adult with Ceramic Brackets, Natural colored bands, and metal wire. Phase 2 after having them as a child. Started on May 3rd, 2016. Estimated completion April/May 2017

carrieann

#6 Post by carrieann »

I have a coil to keep space, not create. Maybe it's a baby coil.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower