"What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been" - Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinkFullOfDinner

"What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been" - Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead

#1 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Hey All -

I'm a little late to the forum since I'm over one year into the process. I've read some great advice from earlier posts that have been really helpful. To all of those OP's, I thank you! However, it is unlikely that you will learn anything terribly useful from this post. No, this is more like random observations about the process and the delightful curveballs that come with it. In no particular order:

1) My user name was inspired by what I see every evening after the waterpik reservoir has run dry. It's like an abstract expressionist interpretation of the prior meal. So lovely.

2) I never really thought twice about seeing braces on other people, but for some reason I was convinced that I would look and feel like a complete dork. Can't explain it, it just is. Maybe it's a guy thing. So, I was very happy with a proposed treatment plan that focused on limited linguals (4-4), and if they needed to do more to get the right result, then they'd do their best to make it discreet. Perfect plan!

3) About "plans." I don't know which quote is more appropriate to ortho plans. Is it the army version of "no plan survives contact with the enemy," or the great philosopher Mike Tyson saying "everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." Maybe it's Tyson, since we're talking mouths. I think dental schools and ortho programs must teach a course on how and when to say "oh, did I forget to mention that we'd probably need to do/use 'x'?" So, what part of brackets from 3-6 was the "discreet" part, huh? ok, at least they're ceramic until you get to molars, but that's kind of pushing the definition of discreet if your frame of reference is "linguals," right? Still not convinced? Then how about the subsequent appointment when they hand you elastics? Are you on my side now?

4) Time out. This isn't intended to be a whiny piece. On the contrary, my ortho has been great and I've been very impressed and grateful for the creativity in devising and adjusting the plan. Also, everything is doing what it's supposed to do, apparently. I just hope that we don't need too much more creativity. In the meantime, I'm happy to say that only feel like a dork 10% of the time, but that's probably as good as it's going to get.

Next appointment is in a few weeks. Hopefully no surprises. I feel like I'm due for a boring, routine visit involving only new ligs and maybe a wire change.

oldfart

Re: "What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been" - Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead

#2 Post by oldfart »

All guys in braces look like dorks.. It's a fact.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

SinkFullOfDinner

#3 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

[quote="oldfart"]All guys in braces look like dorks.. It's a fact.[/quote]

Great. I'm now back up to 15%. Thanks! jk

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart »

Do you have a retainer 'plan'?

SinkFullOfDinner

#5 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Hadn't gotten that far, yet. I guess that's a topic for me to bring up when we start discussing the debonding date. The general target is supposed to be around the end of the year. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we're on track, though my buzz-kill general dentist has been happy to volunteer that it always seems that adult patients take longer than expected. Thanks for tearing up my Christmas wish list, doc!

carzfrm60s

#6 Post by carzfrm60s »

I do understand about the elastics! Ortho said to shift my midline "we" might have to use elastics. Never thought
any more about it till he told the Assistant to show me how to use them, by the way I'm 56 yo. I have only had it for
a week, I suppose like everything else it will get better. Good luck to you.

SinkFullOfDinner

#7 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Ha! Yes love the kind use of "we" whenever something annoying is being added.

I'm wondering if when the ortho changes the type of elastic that's being used (heavier or lighter, smaller or larger diameter) the "note" that it makes when you pluck it changes. Hmmm. Currently, I think I'm an E flat. Maybe if I get a different elastic on the other side and one like your midline corrector I can form a cord.

emily0709

#8 Post by emily0709 »

The observation on what comes out in the sink made me laugh and grimace at the same time.

So true.

The other week I had salad. A full 8-10 hours later it seemed 1/2 of it came out in the sink. So. Gross.

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

You should have seen the designs I made on my mirror while flossing with them. My wife could never figure out how I could make such a mess.

SinkFullOfDinner

#10 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

emily0709 wrote:The other week I had salad. A full 8-10 hours later it seemed 1/2 of it came out in the sink. So. Gross.
Haha! My gross out threshold is definitely on the rise. If you leave the salad much longer, it will start to compost!
oldfart wrote:You should have seen the designs I made on my mirror while flossing
I can't imagine how you got it on the mirror. Impressive! I have to thread it in and pull it out the same way. There's absolutely no way for it to fling anything anywhere.

I'm back at the ortho next week for an adjustment. Things seem to be moving, so hopefully no add-ons this time.

SinkFullOfDinner

#11 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Thankfully today's check up didn't involve any wonderful new add ons, but they did a lot! Looong appt. Two new wires (=progress!), changed out a power chain, and a bunch of IPR. At least it seemed like a lot.

I know that IPR is pretty routine, but I was getting nervous in the chair when they hit seven spots and then made three separate passes with each pass using a slightly thicker file (or whatever it's called). I was convinced that my teeth would look like a white picket fence with huge spaces between the fence boards.

She used that power IPR tool instead of a manual strip and said the first file was 1/10th of a mm. I have no idea what the width of the next two files were, so I'm not sure how much of my teeth wound up as dust. Fortunately the spaces don't look very obvious and hopefully they close up and do their job quickly.

Oh, and she handed me another two packs of elastics. Sigh. It sounds like "we" (props to carzfrm60s!) have a couple more months of that. Double sigh.

On the positive side, hopefully all of that IPR means that we're starting to get into the home stretch even though I'm not at the finishing wire stage yet. BTW, if this doesn't mean that we're nearing the end, don't tell me today. I'd prefer to wallow in blissful ignorance for awhile and visualize the end!

LisainTX

#12 Post by LisainTX »

OMG,I am sitting here at work laughing my head off at these posts! Thanks for making my day. Especially loved the part about plucking the elastic and getting an E flat!! Priceless!! :BigGrin:

SinkFullOfDinner

#13 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Lisa, glad to hear it brightened your day! Realized too late that I misspelled "chord" though. Thankfully, musicbrace didn't call me out.

It just seems so ridiculous sometimes that we're going through this process. Might as well laugh at the foolishness when you can!

SinkFullOfDinner

#14 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

The latest in "REALLY?? Does this stuff only happen to ME?":

We're at a friend's last night, and toward the end of dinner I feel that I have something stuck on the side. I'm not sure if it's noticeable, and have already gone through the thought process of "well it's off to the side, so if it's bread, that's only a small problem, but if it's the salmon or some of that terrific salad hanging around, that's a big problem. Better safe than sorry."

I slip away to the bathroom to have a looksy. Turns out I'm glad I checked. A power swish doesn't get the job done, so I reach for a proxy (Christmas tree?) brush. I always keep one in my pocket along with one of those little plastic ortho wax containers that I've emptied of wax so that I could convert it to a mini-carrier for elastics. It sure beats carrying the whole ziplok package of elastics! Works great - except for last night.

As I pull out both items, I drop the converted elastics carrier. I'm not too concerned. Just the inconvenience of bending over to pick it up. Except that it must not have been completely closed. I watch in slow motion as the lid opens and 3/16" elastics fly, bounce, and roll everywhere! Now I'm down on my hands and knees picking up these little buggers and amazed / pissed at how good they are at randomly dispersing themselves. Every time I think that I've gotten them all, I find another. It doesn't help that the floor is sandy, cream-colored stone tile. Almost exactly the color of the elastics. I find myself thinking "that's a nasty color for elastics, but it works well for stone." So, I wind up getting my eyes down really low so that I can look at an angle and hopefully see any stragglers.

I don't like having my face that close to your bathroom floor. I don't care how much of a clean freak you are. But I can't leave any laying around my friend's bathroom. Just not right.

I finally get the (hopefully) last ones. Yay. It's taken long enough, however, that now I'm worried someone is going to think "he took awhile. I think I'll wait 10 minutes." Sorry. Didn't need to go there, right? But you'd be worried about the same thing.

Just add it to the long list of minor indignities that should be attached as Appendix A to the disclosures and paperwork you get at the start of this process.

LisainTX

#15 Post by LisainTX »

Sir, I don't know what you do for a living but you seriously should write a book. You are hilarious!!! :lol: