Professionals with braces: thoughts or concerns?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nightowl12

Re: Professionals with braces: thoughts or concerns?

#16 Post by nightowl12 »

I'm 24 and work in a corporate office - so far the only ones that have noticed are my close work-mates who I interact with daily. Most of them knew I was getting braces anyway. I think of it as I'm bettering myself (even with having to wear them for 2 years) and will feel better about myself after they are off. I only wish I would have gotten them on sooner!

samoorelaw

#17 Post by samoorelaw »

To echo others here, I'm a lawyer in my second round of braces as an adult and no one cared before and no one cares now. I'm getting to the point where I don't even care anymore!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

JCloNY

#18 Post by JCloNY »

Ziggy wrote:Few people notice my braces. I have to give a lot of talks to groups and I just think braces on adults are commonplace these days. I agree with the other poster who said few people will notice your braces but everyone will remember a mouth full of crooked teeth. Go for it. BTW, clear bracket really help if you're concerned.

Well said! Crooked teeth are much more distracting than braces. I've actually used my braces to get extra portions of some food at the cafeteria on my sensitive days. #braces_sympathy :jump:
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

metalliKa

#19 Post by metalliKa »

I see people all day long and no one cared or cares to comment on my braces. And if they do, it's usually out of curiosity for "how much and how long?". I had a little 9 month once that every time I show him my brace face, he giggles uncontrollably. It was rather cute!

If others don't seem to be bothered by our brace face, we shouldn't either.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Khaleesi

#20 Post by Khaleesi »

I've only just started my treatment so I've not yet had much opportunity to be judged, but so far very few of my colleagues have even noticed (I've got clear braces on the top six and metal on the bottom). Those who I've talked to about it seem to be interested more than anything.

40withbracesUK

#21 Post by 40withbracesUK »

I'm going to go against the grain and say no, it's not all plain sailing. I am in the UK, so we don't have the same approach to orthodontics as our American friends. I am 40 and have full metal braces. People do notice, many pretend not to but you know they've clocked them. After a while it doesn't bother you and you forget about it. Sometimes it does bother you and you feel like a bit of a tool. However as someone else said further up thread; it's only really a big deal for you. Other folk don't really care what you look like. I find a bright red lipstick and an attitude can carry you through most public-facing situations :tingrin:

Nolaterals

#22 Post by Nolaterals »

I think we are always more aware of our own issues. Chances are that other people won't notice, won't care, or both.

Khaleesi

#23 Post by Khaleesi »

Sorry to bump an old thread - I recently had a job interview with my braces that I was really worried about (very crusty, formal institution and I look younger than I am anyway, so I was worried I wouldn't be taken seriously). I got offered the job, so it just goes to show that they needn't be an obstacle. I've also given a few TV interviews in the meantime (I'm a researcher) and on watching the replays after, they really are barely noticeable.

MikeLewis

#24 Post by MikeLewis »

Some years ago, at age 33, I got braces and had them for 2 years. I am an attorney, and although I felt just a slight tinge of embarrasment at first, my braces eventually became a non-issue. People comment at first, because they are not used to seeing you with braces, but after less than a week, they dont even seem to notice. I suggest getting the clear braces for at least your top teeth, and keeping them very clean. That will limit the visibility of them.

farmboy

#25 Post by farmboy »

Has anyone had experience with appliances beyond just brackets? I've had my braces for about three weeks and I'm due to have a tongue crib installed next week (I should already be wearing the tongue crib, but I decided to put it off two more weeks so I could enjoy one last Thanksgiving unemcumbered).

I'm new to a fairly large company, so I'm still meeting people for the first time every day, and I do wonder what first impressions might be like if the tongue crib causes a speech impediment.

arraye

#26 Post by arraye »

I'm in academia and talk a lot to people/will be giving presentations (when I'm not sat alone in the office hunched over my computer that is!) and I haven't decided if I'm going to forewarn everyone in advance, or just get them on and see who notices! I'm mostly worried that I'll look like a teenager again and won't be taken seriously...

Khaleesi

#27 Post by Khaleesi »

arraye wrote:I'm in academia and talk a lot to people/will be giving presentations (when I'm not sat alone in the office hunched over my computer that is!) and I haven't decided if I'm going to forewarn everyone in advance, or just get them on and see who notices! I'm mostly worried that I'll look like a teenager again and won't be taken seriously...
I don't think you'll have an issue. One of my students recently said 'oh, you have braces, did you just get them? How are you finding the adaptation?'. I'd had them for six months at that point...

znkbraces

#28 Post by znkbraces »

I work in a corporate setting and see some people with braces and its no big.
confidence is key.