How often do you get professional cleanings with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Toxgirl

How often do you get professional cleanings with braces?

#1 Post by Toxgirl »

Hi all,

I'm not due for a cleaning with my regular dentist until July but I am noticing alot of tartar buildup on my lower brackets. I thought i was doing a good job cleaning but apparently not in that area. I brush at least 3 times a day, floss and waterpik every night. I don't eat candy or drink sodas or sugary drinks but i do eat a petite vanilla scone daily with my tea. Thats about the only sugar I eat on a regular basis. i'm thinking i might go in for another cleaning but I will have to pay out of pocket. Just curious what others do.

EWUgal15

Re: How often do you get professional cleanings with braces?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

I've been sticking with 2 cleanings a year. I haven't had any problems with cavities or buildup but that's just me. I think it varies from person to person and I'm sure an extra cleaning here or there won't hurt anything braces wise. I can't speak to the pocket book though.

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

It is generally recommended to go a little more often for cleanings. I seem to get the most tartar build up on my lower central incisors as well.

Another option for you would be to get a dental pick (the metal kind) and scrape off tartar sometimes yourself. I have this one and it has served me well. http://www.walmart.com/ip/DenTek-Profes ... c/21695155
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

ljms

#4 Post by ljms »

I had a horrible time keeping the tartar from building up on my bottom teeth.

While in braces, I had a full cleaning every six months and, in the three month interval between cleanings, I had my bottom teeth scaled--no polishing.

littlething

#5 Post by littlething »

I'm curious to see what everyone else is doing. Both my dentist and hygienist think every 6 months is fine, my ortho suggested every 3 months and I'm seriously considering it now. If anything, to get the glue remnants (that are staining) scraped off sooner than later, but also I feel like it's impossible to keep everything clean! (I haven't noticed much tartar, and I brush 4-5 times a day and use waterpik/floss/proxybrush/rubber gum stimulator/etc. but I still feel like I still need help).

carrieann

#6 Post by carrieann »

I go every 3 months and have for about 5 years. This is mainly due to all my root canals/crowns. They are only "insured" by my dentist if I go in every 3 months. Hmmm. Now that I have braces I'm glad I have to go so often. First cleaning with braces will be in June, I'm a little nervous since I have so much sensitivity. Hope they are gentle.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

Moops

#7 Post by Moops »

I had a cleaning the day before I got my braces on and they schedule the next appointment for six months out, so the same as before braces.

metalliKa

#8 Post by metalliKa »

The regular six month cleaning is sufficient. However, if you feel you need more cleaning in between, and if money is not an issue for you because insurance won't cover the extra cleaning, go for it!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

EWUgal15

#9 Post by EWUgal15 »

carrieann wrote:I go every 3 months and have for about 5 years. This is mainly due to all my root canals/crowns. They are only "insured" by my dentist if I go in every 3 months. Hmmm. Now that I have braces I'm glad I have to go so often. First cleaning with braces will be in June, I'm a little nervous since I have so much sensitivity. Hope they are gentle.
Just let your dentist/hygienist know you've had sensitivity and what's been causing it and I'm sure they'll work with you!

whitney555

#10 Post by whitney555 »

I've only noticed a little extra tartar buildup, but I've managed to scrape most of it off myself with a proxabrush

jfriend33

#11 Post by jfriend33 »

I pay my dentist about $8 a month which includes two cleanings and x-rays twice a year and at least half off any fillings or crowns. I supplement that with dental school cleanings which run about $15-$25. So about every 2-3 months!

golfgirl

#12 Post by golfgirl »

I'm having my teeth cleaned at every other appointment, so every 6-8 weeks. The cost makes me wince a bit but I don't care!