Invisalign Tray Removal Tips

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SOJO2016

Invisalign Tray Removal Tips

#1 Post by SOJO2016 »

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 2 of my first set of trays, and I have a very long way to go - about 3 years. I am seriously struggling with removing my trays. The lower tray is much harder to remove than the upper tray. I have six buttons so far - two wouldn't stay on so I'm going back to have them attached in two weeks. I'm able to remove the trays by sticking my fingernail under the tray on each side that doesn't have a button, but I am destroying my nails trying to get these things out! I've read somewhere that Invsialign has a removal tool, but my ortho didn't mention it. What are some of the tactics you use to remove them?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Ohhnoregrets

Re: Invisalign Tray Removal Tips

#2 Post by Ohhnoregrets »

Hey there. I am on day 2 of my first tray so I won't be much help. However, I've already learned to unsnap from the back.. mine pop right out!

SOJO2016

#3 Post by SOJO2016 »

[quote="Ohhnoregrets"]Hey there. I am on day 2 of my first tray so I won't be much help. However, I've already learned to unsnap from the back.. mine pop right out![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, mine do not pop out at all. LOL. I have to pry them off once I lift one side of each tray. I'm only able to lift the side that doesn't have a button near the back. It's going to be really challenging once my dentist puts buttons on those teeth. :cry:

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Congrats on getting started!

One of the things to try is to take the aligners off from the back on the inside at the top, then slide them out and around toward the front until you get to the middle. After that, start from the inside at the top on the other side and slide around again.

For the bottom, due to the position of most teeth, it works better from the outside at the back rather than on the inside. Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

PinkPeep

#5 Post by PinkPeep »

Hi,
I remove mine by prying from the inside edge on the farthest tooth. I usually use a plastic spoon as a tool to save my nails.

SOJO2016

#6 Post by SOJO2016 »

Hi all,

I've found the perfect solution (that works for me). I was on Amazon.com searching for an outtie (removal tool) and one of the reviewers suggested that people try the Reach Flosser instead. I picked one up and it is a Godsend! :D

Good luck to everyone on their journey...

Koorb

#7 Post by Koorb »

I second the Listerine reach flosser.. Start from the back molars and it pulls right out. Makes it a lot easier.

Trickycoolj

#8 Post by Trickycoolj »

I'm on tray 35 of 35 (waiting for refinements for 2 months now) I had um, 11... 15 attachments? Can't remember since they've been off for 2 months but I had a whole side full of double attachments and giant ones on my canines that made me have fangs. Anyway, always start in the back. The next step is to think opposite of your attachments. For my top trays I had my left canine and left lateral incisor, and my right lateral, canine, and both premolars. So First I pulled down the top left outside, then the top right INSIDE (behind the row of 6 attachments) That would usually loosen the back sides of the trays. Then carefully I would use both index fingers on the front over the giant canine attachments. It was a three step process. Any time I tried to do a cool one handed flick like I saw on YouTube, I broke off attachments and found myself taking time off work to get them glued back on (no bueno). My bottom trays I could usually get away with back outside on each side, then guide one of the canines off and it would pop off because I had less attachments on the bottom and could use my tongue from behind once it started to pop up. Even now on my last tray with fairly straight teeth (still have bite issues) with no attachments to fill the bubbles I still can't do a one handed flick to get them off and they've cracked in a spot from trying. I think what worked best was to start at the back and start with the area with the least attachments. If you have a ton of attachments on a side, try going from the inside not the outside.

1993: 4 top brackets, bite plate, lower lingual arch, head gear
2004: 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed
2007: night guard for bruxism headaches
March 2015: Invisalign 35 trays
August 2016: Invisalign 9 trays
http://lineupwithme.blogspot.com/