Braced at 42

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beckett

Braced at 42

#1 Post by Beckett »

I introduced myself elsewhere, but found this section of the forums for our ongoing stories. So I'll put my updates in here. I'm 42, and just had braces put on yesterday. Upper and lower, clear brackets. I had to have bumpers installed on all 4 front lower teeth because there isn't enough clearance to bite down all the way and not hit the brackets. So now my molars don't come together for right now and I can't chew. Anything. Frantic trip to the grocery store for a few more soft things and smoothie ingredients.

Day two is certainly more painful than yesterday. Everything aches, but I think the fact that I can't bite down all the way is helping it not be worse. Brushing this morning was very painful, like I had cavities between all my teeth. I have a Sonicare but I'm going to wait until most of the soreness has died down before using it.

Things I didn't realize before getting started: I would use lip balm three times as often as before. That brushing my teeth would be much messier, and that drinking from a glass would feel like I was going to dribble everywhere. I don't, but the sensation is weird enough for me to use straws for now. And I lisp a lot for sounds I wouldn't think would have been difficult.

My 10 year old is also in braces right now, 6 upper and 4 lower, plus his two back lower molars (so really 6). He's so cute telling me that the soreness goes away and he hardly notices his braces anymore. My two oldest have also gone through the process, one at 10 with just 6 uppers, and one as an older teen with a full metal set. If they can survive it, so can I.

So grateful I found these forums to be able to talk to others going through it as adults. I don't know anyone in real life with adult braces right now.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

littlething

Re: Braced at 42

#2 Post by littlething »

Hi! I'm on day 2 with upper and lower clear brackets as well and I can totally relate to all that you are going through! My molars don't come together at all either because I am biting down on the hooks from the bands, and it is driving me INSANE. They told me I should be back to normal once they start moving, and I'm hoping it's sooner than later! The rest of my teeth are REALLY sore when something touches them, so I have not been able to chew at all either. Lots of soup for me!

Brushing was painful for me this morning too. Definitely feel you on the dribbling when drinking water from a glass - I thought it was me just being my usual clumsy self! And I have definitely noticed that my lips dry out like crazy, and that I'm always reaching for lip balm.

Looking forward to following along with your journey.

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

So I managed to half chew a Ritz cracker tonight. I guess when you're three days in that's a victory? Molars still don't come together all the way, but if I have a small enough bite (had to break the cracker instead of bite into it) I can manage to get it under the highest points of my molars and can sort of chew.

And I bought a toddler toothbrush for myself. :D It has kind of an empty space near the middle that can fit around the bracket as I brush. Plus it's a lot softer than my regular brush and feels so much less harsh when I brush with it. It's the little things...

Reading other people' stories I'm finding mine (and all my kids that have had braces) is unusual in the fact that none of use have had back molar bands. Our brackets have all just been bonded on. I wonder why some orthodontists use them and others don't? I'm grateful, I hear they can be miserable as well as the spacers they have to put in to prep for them.

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

I figured out what chocolate I can manage to eat. Whoppers, because if I suck on them long enough they just dissolve.

I can't wait to be able to chew again.

Beckett

#5 Post by Beckett »

Day 5. Dinner tonight was homemade chicken noodle soup with tiny star noodles. I added a 1/4 of a saltine cracker to each bite since I can half chew them and they dissolve well. Holy moly, I can't believe how much stuff stuck to the brackets on the sides of my mouth. It's going to be like this until I'm done, isn't it? Or will it get easier when I can bite down further? I don't think I'm ever going to eat in public again until this is over.

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

Day 7. Not as much pain but lots of pressure still. I tried eating spaghetti tonight and did ok. I used rotini pasta so that was easier than long noodles. The garlic toast was tougher. I cut it into bite sized pieces but my teeth got very tired trying to eat it. Pieces with the crust edge were a little painful so I mostly ate the middle pieces.

Discovered something else that's harder now: opening bobby pins for my hair. I usually use my front tooth but now the bracket is in the way. :P

My lips are oddly tingly, and I have a lot of the bubble popping feeling in the 6 upper and lower front teeth. My incisors are the most sensitive still, I think because all 4 are being turned toward the front. Though I swear the upper right has turned more toward the back than it was before.

Beckett

#7 Post by Beckett »

Managed to be able to eat a Krispie Kreme plain donut. After cutting it up and using a fork. So much for the Braces Diet. :P

The more I talk in a day the more sore my inside upper lip is, rubbing against the brackets that stick out due to my slightly protruding canines. I should shut up more. When my kids go back to school after spring break that will help. Not as many teenage bodies to order around.

emily0709

#8 Post by emily0709 »

I discovered Reeses peanut butter eggs are just the ticket for braces.

You. Are. Welcome. :mrgreen:

MummaFish48

#9 Post by MummaFish48 »

Enjoying your posts Beckett...
Mine go on on Friday...kind of preparing me mentally!!
:shock:

Montch8

#10 Post by Montch8 »

Also enjoying these posts! I'm very impressed you were attempting to eat crackers in the first few days - I was on liquidised food for a week! ;)
I'm most missing crunchy salad and like you, my bite (on the side of the mouth that I normally chew food) doesn't quite meet, which kind of limits the food you can attempt to that which will break down into vaguely swallow-able lumps with very little pumelling! Keep us posted...

Beckett

#11 Post by Beckett »

I think I'm clenching my teeth when I sleep. I took a long nap on the couch today and the couple times I lightly woke I could feel my top teeth firmly planted in the bumpers along the bottom. Now my two top teeth are sore. I'm also waking up in the morning with bracket impressions along my cheeks. Either I'm not drinking enough water (probably true no matter what) or I'm sucking in while I sleep and everything is being vacuumed against my teeth. I used to do that before and would wake up with teeth impressions in the same place, but now with braces it makes everything in there a bit more sore.

andrea83

#12 Post by andrea83 »

I started wearing a night guard some nights and am struggling to get used to it.

My dentist said it might help with my jaw tension and headaches.

Anyway Yes I think I have bene biting into it hard in my sleep ... maybe this just happens until you get used to it being there?

And also I have woken up realizing I'd done the sucking thing as well ... wonder why

If this is any indication of what my sleepy reactions to braces will be ... ugh ... well good luck to us both hopefully this passes as we get used to new things.

Mrcf

#13 Post by Mrcf »

@ Beckett: hope you are doing fine with your braces now. How did you make your decision to start with braces at 42? I´m getting 50 soon and think about years to fix my bite. Having been to 4 orthos the last 10 years but never started with Treatment. May be to unsecure if that would be the right decision.

carrieann

#14 Post by carrieann »

I just got my braces on yesterday, clear top, metal bottom. Thanks for your stories! I also do not know any adults with braces so am grateful for this forum. Today, Day one, they are so tender and feel lots of pressure, hurts to brush and can't floss or chew. I'm afraid to brush normally, and fearing I will break a bracket or move a tooth! It sound like it will definately get worse over the next couple days! Nutri bullet meals only this week. And since I can't really floss very well yet I don't want anything stuck. I don't want to put to much pressure prying the floss between my teeth. This is so odd!

Beckett

#15 Post by Beckett »

I cannot fathom that my teeth are ever going to connect again. With as high as the brackets are on the bottom central teeth (and really, they're fairly midline), it seems that my top teeth will forever run into them. I can't imagine my molars will ever come down far enough to ever touch. I am going to never be able to chew again!!

Just venting for today. I don't seem to see any movement whatsoever and my next appointment is still two and a half weeks away.