Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pragashb5

Elastics

#1 Post by pragashb5 »

Hello,

Today I got my braces tightened as well as my elastics for my braces (Class II elastics). My orthodontist to wear them all day and night.

However, I'm going on a camping trip for the next 4 days, and i think it would be really difficult to wear the elastics for the trip. Would it be fine to wear the elastics regularly just after the trip from next week or would it be too late and would I have to start wearing them today from the day they tightened my braces.

Thanks in advance :)

oldfart

Re: Elastics

#2 Post by oldfart »

Why would you not wear elastics on a camping trip? It is the one item where you have full and complete control as to how long your braces will be on. The better you follow your ortho directions, the sooner they come off. The more you postpone doing what he suggests, the longer it will take.

Now that the speech is over, since you got them, doubt it would make much difference. Maybe could postpone your braces removal a month, but no way of ever knowing. Just don't get in a habit of not wearing your elastics as it is 'difficult'. For many people Class IIs are the easiest setup there is. It's when you get 3 or 4 on a side, and cannot open your mouth at all, that's when it gets difficult ;)

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

ljms

#3 Post by ljms »

I was on a two week camping trip last summer and continued to wear my elastics--type II, single daytime/double night time--without any problems at all.

Why do you think it would be difficult?

ljms

#4 Post by ljms »

oldfart wrote:For many people Class IIs are the easiest setup there is. It's when you get 3 or 4 on a side, and cannot open your mouth at all, that's when it gets difficult ;)

of
Excellent point! Even if you're new to bite elastics, class II is as easy as it gets. It only takes a couple of days to get the hang of putting them in without a mirror. I'm in awe of people who can get box elastics in without looking!

pragashb5

#5 Post by pragashb5 »

Thanks for the replies.

I've read that the point you shouldn't not wear elastics is because you would lose the benefits you gained from when you did wear elastics.

However, for me, since I've never worn elastics, wouldn't it be too bad, as if I was just postponing it for a couple of days.

kacmins

#6 Post by kacmins »

I think you'll be just fine and doubt your treatment will take 1 month longer because you didn't wear them for 4 days. If you're going to be in elastics for like a year more (like a lot folks do), I seriously doubt 4 days will make any difference. Still, why don't you call your Ortho and ask him/her?

I just got a power chain yesterday for the first time, along with a wire change and v shape elastics (never worn any elastics before). My Ortho told me it might be too much and that I can postpone wearing them for 2 weeks if I am in too much of a pain. Barely slept last night (despite painkillers), so they're off today until other stuff going on in my mouth subside. I'd hate to be in that much of a pain on a camping trip!

metalliKa

#7 Post by metalliKa »

When in doubt, always consult your ortho. While I don't think skipping 4 days is an issue, I would feel bad because it shows I lack commitment.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

mongoosebrain

#8 Post by mongoosebrain »

I got class IIs this week as well. Boooo. I wasn't so fussed till I spent an hour being forced to look at myself in the mirror at the hairdressers this morning and realised how totally ridiculous they look when I'm speaking. Urgh.

Zara9

#9 Post by Zara9 »

Class II is nothing, I suggest wearing them

AdelaidePsycho

#10 Post by AdelaidePsycho »

When you first get elastics they hurt quite a lot. So, I don't think it would be the worst thing for you to postpone wearing them for a couple of days. Make sure you wear them as soon as you're home, and have the pain killers ready!

oldfart

#11 Post by oldfart »

I still cannot come up with any reason why someone would not be able to wear class II elastics while camping.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

ljms

#12 Post by ljms »

oldfart wrote:I still cannot come up with any reason why someone would not be able to wear class II elastics while camping.
I wish this forum had a Like button.

Using a camping trip as a reason to not wear bite elastics is nothing more than an excuse. That's not a habit you want to get into because it won't take you long to find all kinds of excuses. The next thing you know, you're only wearing your elastics for 12 hours a day and your treatment time has ballooned by six to twelve months.