Feel too old for this

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MummaFish48

Re: Feel too old for this

#16 Post by MummaFish48 »

How was it today?
I hope all has gone well and you aren't too uncomfortable...
Up-date us all...
Those of us waiting (10 days for me!!)
Are curious!! Well done :jump: :jump:

Beckett

#17 Post by Beckett »

All done! Every tooth except for my 4 back most molars. Clear brackets, (expect the furthest back ones are metal) purple ties, and bumpers on all 4 borrow front teeth. I actually cannot bite down all the way now, even before the bumpers were put on. I have a deep bite and not much clearance between the top and bottom front teeth, they almost scrape together, which is one of the things I'm having fixed. So anyway, there's a 1/4 inch space between my top and bottom molars when I bite down, that's as far as I can go. So I guess pudding and soup and smoothies for a while longer than just for soreness. I hate yogurt, so I should dig out my smoothie book so I can get some nutrition in me. I've got a great little Ninja blender for them too. Berries, cream, ice, what else do you put in a smoothie? I might get some of those liquid instant breakfast drinks, I usually just eat cereal in the morning but that's going to be out for a while. Need to stock up on lip balm, and get new Sonicare heads.

It all feels so weird!! I think I feel younger, which is weird because I started this thread because I felt too old for this. But nothing makes a smile look like a teenager more than braces! And I am so glad I postponed until after our weekend trip this past weekend. I want to be in the comfort of my own home and kitchen to manage this until I can bite down again. One bad habit this is going to break is biting on the inside of my lip. (Nervous habit) I can't "reach" anymore.

All in all, it went well. So grateful for all the advice and encouragement I've had here before I went in.

emily0709

#18 Post by emily0709 »

Do you dislike yogurt even if it is IN a smoothie? Maybe try some soy or almond milk in it instead.

I like soy milk blended with a frozen banana - basic and fills me up. Rice pudding is good, so is cottage cheese. Try to keep motrin in your system if you can... that is one thing I learned. Glad it went well!!

Beckett

#19 Post by Beckett »

Almond milk is a good suggestion, thanks! I don't like yogurt even in smoothies. It changes the whole taste for me. Bananas are good, I'll add those to my list.

I realized that none of my friends know, trying to decide if I should post a braces emoticon on Facebook and see who gets it?

emily0709

#20 Post by emily0709 »

Beckett wrote:Almond milk is a good suggestion, thanks! I don't like yogurt even in smoothies. It changes the whole taste for me. Bananas are good, I'll add those to my list.

I realized that none of my friends know, trying to decide if I should post a braces emoticon on Facebook and see who gets it?

I went all out and posted a big smiling selfie and added "My smile for the next 18-24 months" 8)

Beckett

#21 Post by Beckett »

I braved being social and posted a braces smilie.

Now I'm delicately trying to eat a banana, chopped into small bites. It's....interesting. Smooshing on the roof of your mouth helps. I had a pudding cup earlier, and a glass of chocolate milk but dang, I was hungry. I know I'll get the hang of it. I think I'll prefer not to eat in public for a while though. :D
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

Beckett

#22 Post by Beckett »

Day 2, things are a lot more sore than yesterday. It hurt a lot to brush my teeth this morning. I think the pain is lessened a bit because I can't really bite down, so no extra pressure. Right now it just feels like I've been to the dentist for a very aggressive cleaning. I can feel imprints along the sides on my lower cheek, but they're not sore yet. I rinsed with a healing rinse I was given, didn't taste very good, but hopefully it will help. Going back this afternoon for my kid, then we'll get on the same adjustment schedule so I don't have to drive there twice. It's not terribly far, 25 minutes, but it just makes more sense to make our appointments together.

MummaFish48

#23 Post by MummaFish48 »

Stay positive...I am sure the first 2 weeks are the worst...
Still waiting to have mine...10 days...Yikes..
Spacers today...so far ok but they have only been in 5 hrs!!
:roll:

emily0709

#24 Post by emily0709 »

Beckett wrote:Day 2, things are a lot more sore than yesterday. It hurt a lot to brush my teeth this morning. I think the pain is lessened a bit because I can't really bite down, so no extra pressure. Right now it just feels like I've been to the dentist for a very aggressive cleaning. I can feel imprints along the sides on my lower cheek, but they're not sore yet. I rinsed with a healing rinse I was given, didn't taste very good, but hopefully it will help. Going back this afternoon for my kid, then we'll get on the same adjustment schedule so I don't have to drive there twice. It's not terribly far, 25 minutes, but it just makes more sense to make our appointments together.

Days 3 and 4 were really bad for me. Then it rapidly gets better. Like, flossing was a joke until yesterday ... my teeth are finally not too sore to floss. It seems to be the consensus that the first week is crappy. Hang in there!

spree43

#25 Post by spree43 »

I'm on day 2 too. It's awful can't eat can't really smile as my top lip gets caught on the braces.. the one good thing is you can't see them when I talk...but I feel like every tooth hurts. I'm almost ready to get them off at my next appt and say forget it I'll just deal with the same wonky teeth I've had for 40 years...I don't know how kids do it! I can't imagine this for another 18 to 24 mths

MummaFish48

#26 Post by MummaFish48 »

I am hoping in two weeks time you will be feeling better and supporting me who will be feeling like you do now!! Don't give up...
Hang on in there is what everyone says!!

pjade1

#27 Post by pjade1 »

I got my braces on when I was 52 and still in them now. I will be 54 in a couple of months but don't get them off until January, which will be 30 months total. Mine was for overbite/overjet and a crossbite issue. My teeth were for the most part straight. I was biting into my gums though so it had to be done. It's never to late to get braces. You will be glad you did in the long run. It's a love/hate relationship. I know I will love it when it's all said and done but I don't like having them on. I can't wait for debracing day.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

MummaFish48

#28 Post by MummaFish48 »

pjade1 wrote:I got my braces on when I was 52 and still in them now. I will be 54 in a couple of months but don't get them off until January, which will be 30 months total. Mine was for overbite/overjet and a crossbite issue. My teeth were for the most part straight. I was biting into my gums though so it had to be done. It's never to late to get braces. You will be glad you did in the long run. It's a love/hate relationship. I know I will love it when it's all said and done but I don't like having them on. I can't wait for debracing day.

Love/Hate relationship! What a quote! I suspect spot on!
Great words of wisdom...thank you :D

Beckett

#29 Post by Beckett »

spree43 wrote:I'm on day 2 too. It's awful can't eat can't really smile as my top lip gets caught on the braces.. the one good thing is you can't see them when I talk...but I feel like every tooth hurts. I'm almost ready to get them off at my next appt and say forget it I'll just deal with the same wonky teeth I've had for 40 years...I don't know how kids do it! I can't imagine this for another 18 to 24 mths
I don't know how kids do it either! For all three of mine that have had them I've been the supportive but tough mom. I won't baby them, but I make sure they have meds and soft foods, telling them to stick it out when it got rough. I think kids are more resilient than adults in a lot of ways! I've told them they are all good examples to me. Best advice my oldest gave my youngest when he asked if he has liked having braces "I didn't really enjoy it, but it was worth it." And this was from a kid on the spectrum with severe mouth sensitivity. Our orthodontist and all his assistants were amazing with him.

pjade1

#30 Post by pjade1 »

spree43 wrote:I'm on day 2 too. It's awful can't eat can't really smile as my top lip gets caught on the braces.. the one good thing is you can't see them when I talk...but I feel like every tooth hurts. I'm almost ready to get them off at my next appt and say forget it I'll just deal with the same wonky teeth I've had for 40 years...I don't know how kids do it! I can't imagine this for another 18 to 24 mths
Don't give up. It get's easier and the pain does go away. The first few adjustments will hurt the most but the pain goes away much faster and eventually, it doesn't even hurt when they do an adjustment. I have been in mine for 20 months now. I still have another 10 months to go. It's going to be a piece of cake now and it will all be worth it. You just have to push through it.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin: