Dude Braces @ 25 --- MapleLeafMan888 My Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LittleSern

Re: Dude Braces @ 25 --- MapleLeafMan888 My Story

#286 Post by LittleSern »

Wow, that's interesting that your teeth felt like they were moving around after the braces were off - I'm glad you said that because I wouldn't have known to expect it.

What else did the external ortho say about your teeth? Did you end up telling your ortho that an external ortho had the same comments? If you did, I bet he was offended, haha.

I had an appointment today and got my wire bumped up on top and bottom and had power chains put on both as well. My teeth had a bunch of gaps in them from expanding. It looks like I have the same issue as you with the "peg laterals". The rubber bands are pulling the canines back to fix the overbite, and the front four teeth are being chained together so the space between the canine and the laterals is getting bigger. I know my arch is going to keep expanding, too, so I'm worried about there being a space there. Did you ever end up getting that bonding done? I'm hoping that once the bite is fixed they'll be able to push everything back together and it'll look ok. I like my little laterals, they're cute! :P

In your final before and afters I also notice quite a difference in your overbite. Would you mind sharing a before and after of your profile while your mouth is closed? I'm curious if your lower lip and chin came forward and how much of a difference there is.

mapleleafman888

#287 Post by mapleleafman888 »

TrustGodAuburn wrote:
mapleleafman888 wrote:
TrustGodAuburn wrote:I went from braces off to only wearing my Essix retainer at night on top. I have the permanent on my lower arch and no other retainer for lower.

8 months went by fast!
You lucky girl lol! Have you been finding your result to be stable? Any tightness when you put the retainer in at night?

Yes it sure does go by fast.
I don't notice any tightness from my retainer at night, and I actually fell asleep one night before I put it in and freaked out the next morning worried about it, but it slipped right on with no issue.

I still feel like my bite is really strange, hard to explain. But, I definitely have some adjusting to do there still. And, the worst is that I have started biting the inside of my cheeks when I eat, and it is SUPER annoying.
Haha that's awesome I do kind of envy you there! Mine move so fast. Even 5 hours without a retainer makes it tight every time I put in---mostly on top around the canines. I think it's time to get those laterals bonded, not really a fan of that idea..........

My bite does feel pretty awesome for the most part though. The cheek biting is something I can relate to pre braces...but now I bite my cheeks hardly ever.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

mapleleafman888

#288 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Nqoute="LittleSern"]Wow, that's interesting that your teeth felt like they were moving around after the braces were off - I'm glad you said that because I wouldn't have known to expect it.

What else did the external ortho say about your teeth? Did you end up telling your ortho that an external ortho had the same comments? If you did, I bet he was offended, haha.

I had an appointment today and got my wire bumped up on top and bottom and had power chains put on both as well. My teeth had a bunch of gaps in them from expanding. It looks like I have the same issue as you with the "peg laterals". The rubber bands are pulling the canines back to fix the overbite, and the front four teeth are being chained together so the space between the canine and the laterals is getting bigger. I know my arch is going to keep expanding, too, so I'm worried about there being a space there. Did you ever end up getting that bonding done? I'm hoping that once the bite is fixed they'll be able to push everything back together and it'll look ok. I like my little laterals, they're cute! :P

In your final before and afters I also notice quite a difference in your overbite. Would you mind sharing a before and after of your profile while your mouth is closed? I'm curious if your lower lip and chin came forward and how much of a difference there is.[/quote]
Yeah, retainer wear is super important right afterwards. The 36 hours that it took to get my retainer allowed the teeth to move alot and they moved alot too.

The other ortho said I had a mild class 3 tendancy now (very mild underbite when jaws are apart) and also that the front right tooth is not quite upright bit he said that's being picky. Of course no dentist or ortho ever fails to mention my small laterals...I just take it as a poor attempt at making extra business for themselves. No I didn't say anything to my ortho as it was kind of tense enough nearing the end as it was. He wasn't going to budge.

Well I hope you aren't going to be in too much pain...power chains hurt enough on their own and a new wire to boot...dang...lol

It's odd actually, It just dawned on me that alot of people with the damon system seem to have that problem of small laterals (all the people I saw at the office had that same spacing) so I'm thinking that the damon archwire shape creates the need lateral work or else there are alot of people with small laterals . And no I didn't get the bonding done. I'm not a huge fan of the idea, I'd have to get new retainers as well.

Sorry I don't think I have a good side profile photo from before.

mapleleafman888

#289 Post by mapleleafman888 »

LittleSern wrote:Wow, that's interesting that your teeth felt like they were moving around after the braces were off - I'm glad you said that because I wouldn't have known to expect it.

In your final before and afters I also notice quite a difference in your overbite. Would you mind sharing a before and after of your profile while your mouth is closed? I'm curious if your lower lip and chin came forward and how much of a difference there is.
Yeah, retainer wear is super important right afterwards. The 36 hours that it took to get my retainer allowed the teeth to move alot and they moved alot too.

The other ortho said I had a mild class 3 tendancy now (very mild underbite when jaws are apart) and also that the front right tooth is not quite upright bit he said that's being picky. Of course no dentist or ortho ever fails to mention my small laterals...I just take it as a poor attempt at making extra business for themselves. No I didn't say anything to my ortho as it was kind of tense enough nearing the end as it was. He wasn't going to budge.

Well I hope you aren't going to be in too much pain...power chains hurt enough on their own and a new wire to boot...dang...lol

It's odd actually, It just dawned on me that alot of people with the damon system seem to have that problem of small laterals (all the people I saw at the office had that same spacing) so I'm thinking that the damon archwire shape creates the need for lateral work or else there are alot of people with small laterals . And no I didn't get the bonding done. I'm not a huge fan of the idea, I'd have to get new retainers as well.

Sorry I don't have a good before side picture.

mapleleafman888

#290 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Just got back from my 8 month post braces checkup, was given the go ahead for night time retainer wear only now.

nicolie825

#291 Post by nicolie825 »

Hey, Maple! Your end results are gorgeous! Congratulations!

mapleleafman888

#292 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Hey so I wanted to make a post seeing as how today is exactly one year since having my braces removed!

My teeth have stayed real straight as I am doing the night time retainer wear and will be for life. The bonded retainers and hanging in there as well, really don't notice them anymore.

I had a trip down memory lane and am so thankful to have gone through the process and definitely don't miss braces at all!

Lol I was having spaghetti yesterday and I put a couple spaghetti strings in my lips to remind me how braces were, my lips felt so puffy like when I had braces and started to have braces flashbacks lol . Haha

Hope everyone is doing well and if you're thinking about going to get braces, just do time goes by soooo fast!

Take care.

Steph30

#293 Post by Steph30 »

mapleleafman888 wrote:I'M BRACES FREE!! SO HAPPY!!

gorgeous smile!

22at26

#294 Post by 22at26 »

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I had no opportunity for braces when I was younger so now I am 26 and having them done. Damon metal top and bottom, molar buildups and many months of elastics to come! Hope it continues going well for you.

mapleleafman888

#295 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Thought I'd check in, this site crossed my mind today. I'm nearly at 5 years post braces. :shock: Wow time does go by so fast. So funny to read the logs again. I've grown up alot, am pushing up to 32 years old now soon lol. Still am happy and thankful to have gone through this experience too.

My original essix retainers still are in great shape, I wear them regularly, most nights as I have found my teeth still have a tendancy to shift fast if I go more than 48 hours without wearing them. The upper and lower bonded retainers are still intact and in great shape, even after 5 years flossing is still difficult. :wink:

Best of luck to everyone on their journeys.

I browsed the threads and saw some old familiar names, such as djspeece is still around posting lol!

Merry Christmas and Hope 2020 is an amazing year for all.

Mapleleafman888
December 2019

mapleleafman888

#296 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Shout out to the braces peeps! 6.5 years since my braces came off.

My orginal Essex retainers and permanent retainers are still going strong.

Good luck to anyone to anyone reading this.

Mapleleafman888

September 2021

Dougsey

#297 Post by Dougsey »

Greetings MLM! Good to hear from you... I am still following your thread from several years ago!

I too am very happy to have made the journey. The only thing I regret is waiting sooo long. I wear my retainers every night, still on the original set. They are not nearly as clear now as when I got them but I guess that's to be expected. I have always been a night grinder and my dentist was always trying to sell me an expensive set of night guards so the retainers serve a dual purpose!

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Doug
Click HERE for my journal

mapleleafman888

#298 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Dougsey wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:59 am Greetings MLM! Good to hear from you... I am still following your thread from several years ago!

I too am very happy to have made the journey. The only thing I regret is waiting sooo long. I wear my retainers every night, still on the original set. They are not nearly as clear now as when I got them but I guess that's to be expected. I have always been a night grinder and my dentist was always trying to sell me an expensive set of night guards so the retainers serve a dual purpose!

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Doug
Hey Doug I remember you! My goodness it's been years. I'm just astonished!

Happy to hear all went well for you too.

Yeah if a person takes care if the retainers they sure last long. 7+ years now for mine, the bonded ones are still in place and ok too.