Should I at 58

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ukcruiser2

Should I at 58

#1 Post by ukcruiser2 »

Iv'e had my hour long inspection which included x rays,photographs etc.etc. Have been given the option of having a top brace fitted. To give the space needed there are 2 options. 1) One tooth extraction. 2)Shave each side of 5 teeth to give the space needed.
Firstly I'm apprehensive about having a brace fitted at my age (58) but after having read the posts on here I am coming round to going for it. If I do, I think the extraction will be best to achieve better end results. Along with all this I am a anxious,nervous patient although I see my dentist every 6 months as per normal.
Should I go for a brace or not. By the way is will be a fixed steel brace.

Prometheus

Re: Should I at 58

#2 Post by Prometheus »

As someone who was braced at 58 last year, I am more than happy I did so. I have serious TMJ problems that are gradually getting resolved, so for me it's been worth the time, effort and expense. I'm now 59 and expect it will take another 1.5-2 years to finish up. I had some IPR (teeth shaving) done and didn't like it, but it wasn't horrible. For me braces have not been a big deal professionally or socially, and most folks here will tell you the same. They do take some getting used to though. My two cents, for what its worth.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

Bracesat57

#3 Post by Bracesat57 »

I am thrilled to have braces on and have no regrets? I love, love the way my teeth are looking.

I am now 59 and the braces will be coming off in a few months.

I say go for it! You will be very happy with the results!

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

noveldevice

#4 Post by noveldevice »

I'd say go for it. Also, I'd just have the extraction--I think you're going to have better results than having a bunch of teeth shaved, and there's probably less likelihood of them getting something wrong.

I had three premolars extracted for my braces, and while it was kind of traumatizing (I insisted on being awake for it, which was in retrospect a mistake), they were able to take teeth from areas where I needed the space and it worked out really well.

ukcruiser2

#5 Post by ukcruiser2 »

OK I'm almost convinced to go ahead with the brace. Thanks for the help/advice and I think I will have the extraction as well.

teeebeee

#6 Post by teeebeee »

Go for it! :)

T xx

carzfrm60s

#7 Post by carzfrm60s »

I would not let age be a factor. I am 56 and have had my braces for a year so far.
Like has already been said, no problems with friends, family or work. Once in a while
somebody will be surprised to see an "old man" with braces but most people either
don't notice or don't care. And the benefits will out weigh the short inconvenience.

plugnickel69

#8 Post by plugnickel69 »

Don't let your age be a barrier. I did it at age 64. Good luck!

jem

#9 Post by jem »

I got a brace on my upper teeth at age 57 until almost 59. No regrets. I would say just go for it-it is much less daunting than you might think.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

MummaFish48

#10 Post by MummaFish48 »

I have just joined this group as I am considering Braces at 53! Reading these posts has helped me....I have spacers in 3 weeks and braces in 4....Have yet to tell my adult children or any friends and colleagues....Going to save that until they are on! I'm worried someone will talk me out of it! I am feeling super anxious, but then I am a worrier! Fingers crossed I have built it up to being a bigger deal than it really is. Good luck with yours!

plugnickel69

#11 Post by plugnickel69 »

The anxiety from the anticipation is really the most difficult part. No one else cares, and you'll get excited once you start seeing results. That could happen pretty fast.

LisainTX

#12 Post by LisainTX »

I am SO GLAD I found this message board today! I am 56 and had the same apprehensions but took the plunge and got mine 3 weeks ago.
I am curious as to what you are afraid of. Pain, discomfort, what people might say/think.....all of those things?? ME TOO!!

Pain- I had 4 teeth pulled to make room for shifting. I think that is what I feared most. But my dentist is a great guy and that really didn't hurt much until about a day later but with some good medication and sleep I got through that. If you're only getting one pulled you ought to be okay.

I waited about 2 weeks for all swelling and weirdness to go away before I actually got braces but that is mainly because I had a cold/sinus infection and didn't want to deal with all that at once.

So....the braces went on. I have to say that so far they haven't hurt but what drove me crazy is they put something on the back teeth that are referred to as "turbos" or "blocks". That puts a barrier making it so that your front teeth don't come down and knock off your bottom brackets (I have top and bottom brackets). The tech that put those turbos in made them pretty high and I could not chew AT ALL. I had an area about the size of a small nail head to chew on. I went back and they cut those down so I have had more area to chew on. It has helped but with 4 holes where teeth used to be it is still a bit difficult to chew well.

Let me note that not everyone gets these turbos. It's depends on if you have an overbite and how yours is. No one else I know got turbos but I found out about them online so I figured out what they were. I wish they'd have warned me!!

OK, so I go for my first archwire change (people call this a tighten) in about 2 weeks. We'll see how that goes.

I will be honest in that some days I want to RIP these braces out of my head. Other days its not so bad. They don't hurt. They are just annoying!!! I am told over and over again that it gets BETTER and that when I get them off I will be so happy and it is well worth it.

Thank GOD you reassuring people are out there.

I don't have pain but my front teeth just feel like there is pressure on them. Almost like they are numb if I tap them.

I did wonder what people would think with me getting these at 56 but so far I have gotten a lot of congratulations! And, also online I see that it is more and more common for us older peeps to get braces because as you age sometimes it just becomes more affordable because you have less other expenses.

I have yet to be able to smile and laugh without feeling like I need to cover my mouth. Right now it feels like I have an entire fence in my mouth.

So far.....I think I am happy I did this. I've not died or starved to death yet! LOL

ukcruiser2

#13 Post by ukcruiser2 »

All sounds good for you,keep us all posted

carzfrm60s

#14 Post by carzfrm60s »

As all the others said, go for it. I am a 56 year old male and got mine put on just over a year ago.
Some of the guys at work ragged me for a short time, but most everyone has been very supportive.
I even had a 20 something tell me it was cool that I got braces at my age. I asked her,
" Are you calling me old?", we laughed and she said most people would not have done it. She wants
and needs them but does not have the money, so I told her, see there's always time.

Montch8

#15 Post by Montch8 »

I'm also in my mid-fifties and have bitten the bullet (actually, that's what it looks like, only lots of them...) only a few weeks ago. My sister, three years my senior, has also just commenced treatment. It seems there are quite a few of us and I'm sure there's safety in numbers! You may have only got through half of your expected lifetime, so you've got years ahead of you to enjoy smiling broadly and toothily, with confidence! :BigGrin: Good luck with the treatment and even if it is an inconvenience for a while, and a pain for an even shorter while, it will be so worth it!