Lovely teeth is braced - happy 41st birthday.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lovelyteeth

Lovely teeth is braced - happy 41st birthday.

#1 Post by Lovelyteeth »

So a few days after I turned 41 I got metal braces. On day 4 now. Woah. I was so nervous. The procedure was ok. Trying to get used to it all. I have no bite at all and I have to be careful as one tooth is knocking a bracket on bottom arch. I have had mixed emotions ranging from happy that I finally had the courage to do it to a little bit depressed.

I can't floss between most teeth because the sealant has seaped there. That is most annoying. But ortho says this will go as I brush. Not sure if I should call the office as it is not budging. Did anyone experience that.

I love my food so this is going to be a challenge but I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize. My estimated time is 18-24 months. Eeks.

27braces88

Re: Lovely teeth is braced - happy 41st birthday.

#2 Post by 27braces88 »

Yay! Welcome to the club.

iob

#3 Post by iob »

Hi - I had the same issue with adhesive/bonding material getting in between a few teeth. It didn't resolve on its own, so I bought an inexpensive dental probe/pick (not sure what they call that tool thingy with the curved, pointy end) from the local pharmacy and used it to scrape and remove the material. Worked perfectly, and I assumed that's all the ortho's office was going to do anyway.

Lovelyteeth

#4 Post by Lovelyteeth »

Thanks for the welcome and advice re sealant. I'll see how I go but to be honest I can't get into the awkward back teeth. Arghhhh

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

Hi, congratulations and well done on getting started. I'm sure many of us go through a whole range of emotions in the run up to braces and in the weeks immediately after getting them but that's the big step out of the way, you can just sit back and let the magic happen now. It's probably worth mentioning to your ortho, dentist or hygienist about the glue as it may hinder progress as well present a challenge to floss as you have mentioned. It should be quite easy to remove the excess glue and better to mention it and get reassurance early on than leave it.

Make sure you take plenty of photos and post some here for us all to see, you will find this forum a great source of support and help, I certainly did, and if nothing else, it's a reminder this is a journey being shared by many. I particularly enjoyed chatting to people from all over the world and soon you will find a regular group commenting on your posts. Good luck.

Lovelyteeth

#6 Post by Lovelyteeth »

So I went back to the ortho as the glue stuck between my teeth was stressing me out. I kept thinking how are the teeth gunna move if they are stuck to each other. Although I like my ortho I was a little annoyed that this happened in the first place and it was still an issue after I initally brought it up. At the time he dismissed me and said with brushing it would go as it was the sealant but it was like cement nothing was gunna budge it. So when I visited today and explained I could not floss as there was glue he was like we don't put glue in between teeth when the braces go on teeth (well that's what I thought too but how else did it get there). He then asked when did I get a clean insinuating it was tartar stuck. I was like I got a clean just before braces went on and I could floss between all of my teeth. He then said maybe I wasn't flossing properly as the brackets and wire were in the way and I replied no I can floss between the ones not stuck with glue. So then he looked in my mouth removed my wire which hurt immensely and then proceeded to scrape glue off which felt like my teeth were being pulled out. Ouch. He then flossed each tooth. He then warned me that I would be sore as at 3.5 weeks in it was like an adjustment but my cells have not had a chance to heal. Oh dear they are sore, feel loose too. On the plus side apparently one of my brackets was open so at least that was corrected. So although I was very annoyed I had to go through this at all I feel like now I can move on and not worry that I'm not going to progress. My gums have swollen a little on a couple of teeth at the front I think from the trauma of today. Ouch. My next scheduled appointment is in 3 weeks. Sometimes I think how do teenagers deal with this????
As each day passes I'm getting closer and closer to my dream smile.

Lovelyteeth

Lovely teeth is braced: Progress Pics

#7 Post by Lovelyteeth »

So at nearly 5 weeks in I thought I would post some progress pics to keep me positive. They are sore, still hurt ALOT when I eat and some teeth feel loose...arghhh
I have posted before braces, day 1 and day 34. Apologies in advance for the poor picture quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MadSpinner

#8 Post by MadSpinner »

Hope to see the pictures when my account is allowed to do so.
I do agree with your statement on how teenagers manage to be happy and well with braces on.
Good luck on your journey! Mine starts tomorrow. (nervous!!!)

gobraces

#9 Post by gobraces »

Looking good. I just got mine so I'll be following your posts. Thanks for sharing.

27braces88

#10 Post by 27braces88 »

Ah your teeth are very similar to mine, I'm 6 months in now with another 6 to go :)

Lovelyteeth

#11 Post by Lovelyteeth »

27braces88 wrote:Ah your teeth are very similar to mine, I'm 6 months in now with another 6 to go :)
27braces88 I am a little jealous as you are half way there. My predicted treatment time was 18-24 months! Hopefully your next six months is smooth sailing.

Lovelyteeth

#12 Post by Lovelyteeth »

gobraces wrote:Looking good. I just got mine so I'll be following your posts. Thanks for sharing.
How are you going? The last couple of days have been painful for me with my molars hurting a lot. I guess it's a matter of taking one day at a time.

Lovelyteeth

#13 Post by Lovelyteeth »

MadSpinner wrote: Good luck on your journey. Mine starts tomorrow. (nervous!!!)
Good luck MadSpinner. Nerves are only natural. I was super nervous but once they're on you are on your way to that smile you've always wanted.

gobraces

#14 Post by gobraces »

Mine have been OK - not too much pain but still having to get used to inefficient chewing - back molars don't meet all the way. One day at a time it is.

Lovelyteeth

#15 Post by Lovelyteeth »

So I had my ortho appointment this past Friday and because I had the glue removed between my teeth at 3.5 weeks which was like a mini adjustment as he took wire off we decided to not change any wires or touch anything on account of the fact I was still in so much pain most likely due to the premature adjustment. So I breathed a sigh of relief. He said it wouldn't delay things as its so early on and we'll catch up later.

I'm really glad nothing was changed as touch wood the last few days I haven't been in pain. I still feel they are tight and I don't think I could have coped with the continuous pain if wires were changed. This way my mouth will have a chance to recover before next step. I have seen such a change already but I expect that until my next appointment in 8 weeks I won't see much change at all. At my next appointment he's putting in square wires. I was also reluctant as he's away on a conference/holidays in the US and if something were to happen I would be able to have it attended to.

I'm so happy with the way they are looking that if the braces had to come off today I would be happy with my new smile. It is such an improvement on before.